PP
Posted By
Per Porserot
Jul 17, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi. I really need this thing and wondering if it’s possible, i must be..

I want to change the fileextension of ~500 files from dds to jpg with and save it with photoshop.. I have open most of the files in ph but I can’t find this "mass save" I’m looking for..

Please help!
thx

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Y
YrbkMgr
Jul 17, 2003
If you are not converting the images, rather simply renaming them, and have Photoshop v7, you can batch rename them in the File Browser. Open the file browser and right click, choose batch rename.

If you have a previous version of Photoshop, you have to use a third party utility. Two free ones I know of are CKRename and TheRename, both of which can be found by googling them.

If you are converting formats, you need to create a Save As action and then run it in batch mode.

Peace,
Tony
Y
YrbkMgr
Jul 17, 2003
I don’t know anything about DDS files so I cannot speak to whether or not there is any issue with the source file type, but here’s an easy way to create and automate a Save As Action.

Record Your Action
Open any image only for recording purposes. In the Actions Pallet, click on New Action, and name it Save As JPG (or whatever you want). Note the red recording light is on – what you do next will be recorded.

File|Save As. Choose your JPG file type, select your filename and location, and confirm your compression settings. Note: you will actually be saving this file, so it’s best to use a "dummy". Don’t worry about filename and location, we will change that in the batch dialog, next.

Click Stop at the bottom of the actions pallet to stop recording.

You now have a Save As JPG action that you can play on a single image. If you want to process an entire folder of images do this.

Batch Save As JPG
First, toggle the dialog of the Save As JPG action to OFF. That is the little square next to the action name. This is very important.

No images open. File|Automate|Batch.

Action Set = whatever set you saved your action in. Action to Run = Save As JPG; Source=FOLDER; click the Choose button to select the folder containing your DDS images.

Destination=Folder; click the Choose button to select where you would like your JPG’s to go. CHECK the box that says Override Save As… Information. This is important.

Optionally choose a naming convention in the boxes below, from left to right.

Press Okay, and go get a cup of coffee. The images in your Source folder will open one by one and be saved to your destination folder. To stop the process at any time, press the Esc key.

Peace,
Tony
DM
dave milbut
Jul 17, 2003
Just double checking. Are the DDS files actually JPG’s that are misnamed? Or are they in a DDS format? If just misnamed, TheRename (as Tony mentioned above) will be your fasted method of renaming the files. If they’re DDS format and you want to convert to JPG, follow his instructions in the post directly above this one (post #3) ASSUMING that photoshop supports that format.

edit: What are they? output from 3ds max? I also found reference (in google) to an audio format DDS. I’m not sure you’ll be able to open those files in PS without some kind of plug-in. And if you don’t have the plug-in, you can’t just rename them. You’ll need to reexport them from 3ds max.
Y
YrbkMgr
Jul 17, 2003
Dave,

If just misnamed, TheRename (as Tony mentioned above) will be your fasted method of renaming the files

Actually, since he’s using version 7, IMO the file brower is the easiest way, with Batch Rename. Fwiw.

And you’re right about file types. That’s what I meant when I said that I couldn’t speak to the conversion itself, and why I tried to clairfy that it was a conversion, which he confirmed <shrug>.

Peace,
Tony
DM
dave milbut
Jul 17, 2003
I’ve never really used the browser to batch rename. I’ve been using theRename since you recommened it a few months back. Next time I have a bunch, I’ll give the browser a try.
thanks,dave
DM
dave milbut
Jul 17, 2003
per, Create New Action is a little button at the bottom of the actions palette. It looks like a piece of paper w/the lower left edge folded up. It should be just to the left of the Trash Can icon. (It’s the 2nd icon from the right).

I CAN open the DDS files with Photoshop (7)

Interesting, because it’s not a normal PS format. 3dsmax must come w/a plug in.

Good luck, dave
Y
YrbkMgr
Jul 17, 2003
Per,

First, confirm you can see the actions pallet with Window|Actions. At the bottom of the pallet are buttons that look like a recorder: play, stop, etc. One of them looks like stacked sheets of paper. Hover your mouse over each button and tool tips will tell you what it is.

Peace,
Tony
PP
Per Porserot
Jul 17, 2003
Hmm, a little problem, everything seems to work fine, It open then a dds file then close it and then open the next ect, but it doesn’t greate and jpg file. I have done as told, but it doesn’t seem to work.. 🙁

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections