Posted By
Rick
May 27, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m looking for a CD label-making program that can do the following 4 tasks:

1.) Allow insertion of background image into the template and allows one to resize and position the label over the CD/DVD template with WYSIWYG view.

2.) Rulers/Guides that allow one to position images exactly to the center or elsewhere on the template.

3.) Can print 2 labels on an 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper (Avery, Fellowes, Memorex template papers, etc.)

4.) Allows printing over the donut-hole on the CD/DVD.

The following features would be nice too, but are not critical:

5.) Allows writing text onto the CD/DVD label.

6.) Supports adding drop-shadows onto text and objects.

7.) Allows import of transparent png images as overlays, and allows setting z-order of those images.

8.) Export label to jpg, png, or bmp (as a square image without the center hole).

I know that PhotoShop can do those tasks but I can’t find a PhotoShop template that prints 2 labels to a page.

Finally, links to CD/DVD label templates with high-style graphics (like those with Ulead PhotoImpact) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DC
Darrel Christenson
May 28, 2007

Sure Thing from MicroVision Development.

drc ๐Ÿ™‚

=====
Photography, video and media services
visit us: www.dragonfyrephoto.com

AOL users! – please use a separate
browser such as Firefox when visiting
R
Rick
May 28, 2007

Thanks for your prompt response. I’m looking over it at the website http://www.surething.com/ST/ right now.
DG
Dan G
May 28, 2007
"M.L." wrote in message

If you’re putting labels on CDs, you’re risking problems.

If you’re putting labels on DVD’s, you could well be throwing your discs away.

Inkjet printable discs is the way to go. The media costs a bit more, but the printing is cheaper cause you don’t have to buy labels. And, the results are stunning with the right media.
T
Talker
May 28, 2007
On Mon, 28 May 2007 02:31:46 GMT, "M.L." wrote:

Thanks for your prompt response. I’m looking over it at the website http://www.surething.com/ST/ right now.

Years ago I used a similar program to make labels for CDs, and I found them to be expensive and they peeled off easily. Of course that was years ago, so maybe things have changed. I do remember that it was not recommended to apply a label to a DVD, since it would unbalance it and make the DVD unreadable.
Just a thought M.L., but have you considered a CD/DVD printer? Epson makes the R260 which replaces the R220 (my printer) and they go for $90.
I have been using my R220 now for over a year, and I love it. It prints on printable CD/DVDs, and they cost a few cents more than a regular blank disk. I use the better quality blank media….Verbatim DataLife Plus printable disks, and I just ordered some single layer DVDs from Meritline for 41ยข a piece.
These blank disks have a special top coating that allows printing, and the coatings have never come off on me. The self stick labels I used to print would come off over time, making the disk unreadable. At 18ยข per self stick label, it’s cheaper to buy the printable disks and print on them as opposed to buying the labels, printing on them, and sticking them on and hoping they don’t come off.
Also, the R260 comes with software that allows you to design your own label, including importing your own images. It perfectly aligns the template with the disk, so you rarely have an alignment problem. Anyway, I just thought I’d mention it.

Talker
S
simmo
May 28, 2007
If you insist on labels, try Fellowes Mediaface software. Otherwise, prob safer to go for a printer able to print onto disc surface … I think most manufacturers would make a suitable printer.
Me ?? I love my Canon 4000R ..

On Sun, 27 May 2007 22:44:08 GMT, "M.L." wrote:

1.) Allow insertion of background image into the template and allows one to resize and position the label over the CD/DVD template with WYSIWYG view.

2.) Rulers/Guides that allow one to position images exactly to the center or elsewhere on the template.

3.) Can print 2 labels on an 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper (Avery, Fellowes, Memorex template papers, etc.)

7.) Allows import of transparent png images as overlays, and allows setting z-order of those images.

8.) Export label to jpg, png, or bmp (as a square image without the center hole).

I know that PhotoShop can do those tasks but I can’t find a PhotoShop template that prints 2 labels to a page.

Finally, links to CD/DVD label templates with high-style graphics (like those with Ulead PhotoImpact) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
D
Dave
May 28, 2007
On Sun, 27 May 2007 21:28:05 -0600, "Dan G"

Inkjet printable discs is the way to go. The media costs a bit more, but the printing is cheaper cause you don’t have to buy labels. And, the results are stunning with the right media.

And you are saying this with an attitude as if you know what you are talking. What if people are stupid enough to believe you?

Dave
D
Dave
May 28, 2007
On Tue, 29 May 2007 02:08:21 +1000, simmo wrote:

If you insist on labels, try Fellowes Mediaface software. Otherwise, prob safer to go for a printer able to print onto disc surface … I think most manufacturers would make a suitable printer.
Me ?? I love my Canon 4000R ..

There is a ‘Top Post Virus’ on your hard drive.
Use your virus killer on it – this is not the way to do it. We do not read from the bottom to the top
but from the top downwards.

Dave

A. Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion
Q. Why is top posting bad ?
TB
Tony Blair
May 28, 2007
"Dave" wrote in message
Use your virus killer on it – this is not the way to do it. We do not read from the bottom to the top

Dave

Subtle!! LOL
A
Allen
May 28, 2007
Dave wrote:

And you are saying this with an attitude as if you know what you are talking. What if people are stupid enough to believe you?
Dave
Oh, well, I guess I should throw away all the CDs I’ve put labels on for the past six plus years, even if every one of them still plays without any problem. However, I have ruined _unlabeled_ CD-Rs by accidentally scratching the surface that would have been protected by a label. C’est la vie.
Allen
D
Dave
May 28, 2007
On Mon, 28 May 2007 18:35:11 +0100, "Harry Limey" wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message

Dave

Subtle!! LOL

…. at least somebody appreciate a bit of humour:-)))

Dave
D
Dave
May 28, 2007
On Mon, 28 May 2007 12:50:52 -0500, Allen wrote:

Dave wrote:

Dave
Oh, well, I guess I should throw away all the CDs I’ve put labels on for the past six plus years, even if every one of them still plays without any problem. However, I have ruined _unlabeled_ CD-Rs by accidentally scratching the surface that would have been protected by a label. C’est la vie.
Allen

The truth is, Allen, I am using
1. LightScribe labeling (installed yesterday my 2nd LG_LS writer)
2. Inkjet Printable
3. Stick_on labels
4. Marking Pen (most handy)
and all of them are use full. LightScribe is quite nice
and I doubt whether it is cheaper than printable
because the disks are more expensive.
Therefore, most disks get labeled by marking pen:-)

Dave
W
Worldlabel
May 29, 2007
Looking for 2-up CD label software or template

Hope this helps: http://www.photoshopsupport.com/tutorials/cd-labels-dvd-labe ls-templates/cd-dvd-labels-printing.html

On May 28, 3:35 pm, Dave wrote:
Dave wrote:

Dave

Allen

The truth is, Allen, I am using
1. LightScribe labeling (installed yesterday my 2nd LG_LS writer)
2. Inkjet Printable
3. Stick_on labels
4. Marking Pen (most handy)
and all of them are use full. LightScribe is quite nice
and I doubt whether it is cheaper than printable
because the disks are more expensive.
Therefore, most disks get labeled by marking pen:-)

Dave

Hi
R
Rick
May 29, 2007
Looking for 2-up CD label software or template

Hope this helps:
http://www.photoshopsupport.com/tutorials/cd-labels-dvd-labe ls-templates/cd-dvd-labels-printing.html

Thanks to everyone who responded. I decided to download some PhotoShop-compatible templates for my occasional use of that program. But it’s good to know that there are some user-friendly programs designed specifically for CD/DVD labeling. However, after my original post I learned how to use PhotoImpact for the labels, so I’ll be using that app, or PhotoShop – or my Sharpie ๐Ÿ™‚
J
jaSPAMc
May 29, 2007
"M.L." found these unused words:

PhotoShop

PhotoShop

PhotoShop

PhotoShop

PhotoShop

PhotoShop

PhotoShop

SCAN in your sheet of labels, add a layer with necessary ‘guides’. Make one, SAVE AS, then merge down short of the base and guides, copy and paste over 2nd. Save again if you don’t ever plan to re-edit that disc.

FWIW, I don’t show the base and guides when I print.

May 30, 2007

It has been widely reported that labels can ruin burned CDs, and I can add personal experience making those reports even wider. 3+ years ago my brother used labels on some burned CD Audio disks. They all shit the bed recently. Well, some were worse than others, and some hadn’t showed symptoms yet, but the error rates were through the roof, it was just a matter of time. I know that his burner/media combination yielded excellent burn quality, and I know that unlabeled disks exposed to the exact same conditions are still in excellent shape. There’s absolutely *no* doubt in my mind that the labels killed those disks.
It’s said that something in the adhesive eats through the protective layer and attacks the underlying data structure. But I’d think that things would stabilize after a year or two. These disks were well used, I was thinking maybe the forces on the label from the high rotation speeds might cause purely mechanical degradation. Especially since my brother kinda thought that maybe the most used disks showed the most problems. Then again, I’ve read accounts of little used disks that were labeled going bad, while disks stored uoder the exact same conditions were fine. I think the bit about the adhesive rotting things must be what is really going on; some label adhesives will rot your disks, others won’t. I’ve never heard about any standard for a safe adhesive, so I think putting on labels is a total crapshoot. Labels shouldn’t be a problem for DVDs unless the sucker comes off and causes damage to drive, etc. The data is in the middle of a DVD, so if a label gets grungy/whatever it should be possible to find a solvent that will safely remove the label and clean things up.

N
D
Dave
May 30, 2007
On Wed, 30 May 2007 02:40:38 -0400, Noik wrote:

The data is in the middle of a DVD,
so if a label gets grungy/whatever it should be possible to find a solvent that will safely remove the label and clean things up.

and, your real important data should be duplicated on more than one DVD. Thanks for this friendly explanation, Noik.
Never mind DVD’s, my hard drive is going, I think. I’ll format and see, but maybe I need a new HD.

Dave
D
Dave
May 30, 2007
On Wed, 30 May 2007 10:21:00 +0200, Dave wrote:

Never mind DVD’s, my hard drive is going, I think. I’ll format and see, but maybe I need a new HD.

Dave

Nope, nothing wrong. Only needed a new Windows installation:-)

Dave
T
Talker
May 31, 2007
On Wed, 30 May 2007 02:40:38 -0400, Noik wrote:

It has been widely reported that labels can ruin burned CDs, and I can add personal experience making those reports even wider. 3+ years ago my brother used labels on some burned CD Audio disks. They all shit the bed recently. Well, some were worse than others, and some hadn’t showed symptoms yet, but the error rates were through the roof, it was just a matter of time. I know that his burner/media combination yielded excellent burn quality, and I know that unlabeled disks exposed to the exact same conditions are still in excellent shape. There’s absolutely *no* doubt in my mind that the labels killed those disks.
It’s said that something in the adhesive eats through the protective layer and attacks the underlying data structure. But I’d think that things would stabilize after a year or two. These disks were well used, I was thinking maybe the forces on the label from the high rotation speeds might cause purely mechanical degradation. Especially since my brother kinda thought that maybe the most used disks showed the most problems. Then again, I’ve read accounts of little used disks that were labeled going bad, while disks stored uoder the exact same conditions were fine. I think the bit about the adhesive rotting things must be what is really going on; some label adhesives will rot your disks, others won’t. I’ve never heard about any standard for a safe adhesive, so I think putting on labels is a total crapshoot. Labels shouldn’t be a problem for DVDs unless the sucker comes off and causes damage to drive, etc. The data is in the middle of a DVD, so if a label gets grungy/whatever it should be possible to find a solvent that will safely remove the label and clean things up.

Same experience here Noik. Years ago when I got my first CD burner, I used several different brands of labels. I also used (and still have) the CD Label Stomper, that accurately places the label on the CD. After running through several packs of labels,(I guess maybe 100), I began having trouble with the labels bubbling up off of the CDs, making them unplayable.
I thought that the labels might have been defective, so I threw them out and bought some new ones (a different brand), and used them. I even tried using a glue stick to apply extra glue to the CD before applying the self sticking labels, but they still bubbled up after 6 months
I decided to stop using self sticking labels, because I never knew if they would stay put after 6 months, especially since I would give CDs to people as gifts.
At that time, DVD burners were being introduced, and in numerous articles posted around the Net and in magazines, they strongly advised against using stick on labels on DVDs, because as another poster mentioned, they made them unreadable do to unbalancing them. That was some years ago, and I don’t know what the consensus is today, but I would still think that applies. While you may get away with using them on DVDs today, I’d rather not take a chance and have those DVDs become coasters somewhere down the road.

Talker

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections