Posted By
Raiser
Jul 4, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all,

I’m fairly new to this, and am trying to figure out what the best tool is for doing difficult masking jobs, particularly those involving extracting tricky, semi-transparent images. I have a pretty good handle on Photoshop 7’s abilities, and have an evaluation copy of Extensis Mask Pro 2.0 and am going to start playing around with that. But, before I start investing a lot of time or money in a specific plug-in, I suppose it wouldn’t be a bad idea to get a few opinions about what software I should focus on. Like I said, I’m talking about fairly tricky extractions that are going to be a bit of a pain whatever tool I use, so I’d just like to find out which option is going to make things easier and, more importantly, give better results.

I’ve heard that Corel Knockout 2 is supposed to be fairly impressive, plus I know there are a number of other programs out there. Also, I know Mask Pro 3 is going to be coming out for Windows but is only available for the Mac at the moment. (I’m a Windows user.) So, I was wondering if anyone had an opinion regarding what I should use for the trickiest masking jobs. Like I said, I’m fairly conversant with what Photoshop 7 can do, but I’ve heard that other options get better results with less work. Is that generally true? Is trying out Knockout worth a try? Should I wait for Mask Pro 3? Is there other software I should be aware of? You get the idea. Any comments are welcome.

Thanks,

Raiser

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

WS
Warren Sarle
Jul 6, 2003
http://www.retouchpro.com/reviews/censura.php?cmd=details&am p;itemid=37

"Raiser" wrote in message
So, all I’m really looking for is an opinion about masking software. Does Knockout 2, or Mask Pro 3 or anything else provide better results for those type of tasks?
R
Raiser
Jul 6, 2003
Thanks for the link. I read it, and found it interesting. But I’d already read a few reviews, including some user reviews, and had pretty much gotten mixed signals, which is why I was hoping for more feedback.

More than one person has said it’s superior to PS7’s extract, but that isn’t a universal response, it seems. Plus, I’ve heard it’s very slow. One person said he’d returned it because it was unusable on 50 meg files. (Not good considering I’ll be using it for considerably larger files… No telling what that person’s hardware was like, of course, though.)

Things would be a lot easier if there was a demo to try, but there doesn’t seem to be. It’s fairly expensive, and, for example, I’d hate to buy a copy and find out that Mask Pro 3 is a lot better, or that some other product is superior. Which is why I posted my questions.

Maybe I’ll wait until a Mask Pro 3 demo is available for windows and then see how much I prefer that to PS7’s extract.

In the meantime any opinions from hands-on experience are still very welcome.

Raiser

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 21:25:26 GMT, "Warren Sarle" wrote:

http://www.retouchpro.com/reviews/censura.php?cmd=details&am p;itemid=37
"Raiser" wrote in message
So, all I’m really looking for is an opinion about masking software. Does Knockout 2, or Mask Pro 3 or anything else provide better results for those type of tasks?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections