Posted By
spacemarine
Apr 9, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
hey folks,

ive read some of the other posts related to this, but im still trying to figure it out.

currently im using Bridge to manipulate my images, open them in PS for added details such as unsharp mask, and then Save For Web. its ok. but it seems sorta clunky at times, and ive never really loved Bridge.

ive played around w/ lightroom.. i think i could like its cataloging system, similar to itunes. i think i could start using its keywords and metadata. i think i could like using its Import process to automatically monitor folders & apply basic tweaks (capture sharpening, contrast). and lastly, i think could like using its Export process, for spitting out web-sized image folders for use on my home- grown gallery site.

only thing that seems missing from work flow.. output sharpening! i dont see where i can apply post-resize sharpening to the output files of an export. i do see there is an "Export Actions" section under "Post-Processing", and it would appear one could write custom actions for it; but after the file save.

w/o on-export output sharpening, i still have to use PS to apply sharpening & re-save the JPGs, which id prefer to avoid.

side note — i had read that LR was going to support a plugin architecture. anyone know about this? i like the idea behind PixelGenius’ PS sharpening plugins (http://tinyurl.com/33l34z), but that still requires going into PS and using actions & automation. and if im doing that, why even use LR’s export? it would be sweet if i could write LR actions that used plugins for say capture-sharpening and output-sharpening. this way you could use one app (LR) to do *most* of your hum-drum gallery publishing.. then use PS for your artistic exceptions…

any thoughts?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

S
spacemarine
Apr 9, 2007
on LR actions, i just found this on the adobe forum:

"And currently you can set up an action in PS, turn it into a droplet, and put that in the LR Export Actions folder. I use one for additional sharpening and converting to greyscale."

but then theres this:

"No LR doesn’t support Photoshop Plug-ins or Automate plug-ins. New modules from third parties will be possible at some future time. Adobe has to get the SDK (Software Development Kit) out so that third parties know what to do. But, Photoshop Plug-ins will never be supported, neither will actions or Scripts from Photoshop."

i actually think its a bit of both.. heres how you can do the droplet:

http://tinyurl.com/2gu9de

….however, that is still a serious hack work-around, since it works only on one image at a time, and it prevents other use of the auto- import functionality.
JM
John McWilliams
Apr 9, 2007
wrote:
on LR actions, i just found this on the adobe forum:

"And currently you can set up an action in PS, turn it into a droplet, and put that in the LR Export Actions folder. I use one for additional sharpening and converting to greyscale."

but then theres this:

"No LR doesn’t support Photoshop Plug-ins or Automate plug-ins. New modules from third parties will be possible at some future time. Adobe has to get the SDK (Software Development Kit) out so that third parties know what to do. But, Photoshop Plug-ins will never be supported, neither will actions or Scripts from Photoshop."
i actually think its a bit of both.. heres how you can do the droplet:
http://tinyurl.com/2gu9de

…however, that is still a serious hack work-around, since it works only on one image at a time, and it prevents other use of the auto- import functionality.

I’d go by the top quote. I know the author, and additionally know that he uses Smart Sharpen from PS CS3. He runs a batch Export of sRGB images that invoke the droplet that brings in sharpening via PS.

And it’s very reasonable to expect that LR will both improve greatly on sharpening within it, as well as support third party plugins.

John McWilliams
S
spacemarine
Apr 10, 2007
I’d go by the top quote. I know the author,

hah…

And it’s very reasonable to expect that LR will both improve greatly on sharpening within it, as well as support third party plugins.

well, yes & no. true it is version 1.0, and things always get better. but, this is also a $400 program — it should do its job *now*, rather than waiting for future versions (which they will, undoubtedly, charge for). and output sharpening is definitely something thats always been on everyone’s radar — its need shouldnt have come as a surprise to the developers that we’d like to, you know, sharpen our pics prior to publishing.

thanks!
S
spacemarine
Apr 10, 2007
he uses Smart Sharpen from PS CS3. He runs a batch Export of sRGB images that invoke the droplet that brings in sharpening via PS.

sorry, can you clarify — a batch export from LR, that make use of the droplet as an LR action?

thanks
sm
JM
John McWilliams
Apr 10, 2007
wrote:
he uses Smart Sharpen from PS CS3. He runs a batch Export of sRGB images that invoke the droplet that brings in sharpening via PS.

sorry, can you clarify — a batch export from LR, that make use of the droplet as an LR action?

Yes.

john mcwilliams
R
Roberto
Apr 10, 2007
wrote in message
I’d go by the top quote. I know the author,

hah…

well, yes & no. true it is version 1.0, and things always get better. but, this is also a $400 program — it should do its job *now*, rather than waiting for future versions (which they will, undoubtedly, charge for). and output sharpening is definitely something thats always been on everyone’s radar — its need shouldnt have come as a surprise to the developers that we’d like to, you know, sharpen our pics prior to publishing.

thanks!

There is output sharpening, you just have to scroll the panels down far enough to get to it. It is of course in the printing module only.

=(8)
S
spacemarine
Apr 12, 2007
On Apr 10, 10:22 am, John McWilliams wrote:

Yes.

cool. ill try that.

thanks
S
spacemarine
Apr 16, 2007

Yes.

john, thanks for the tip. ive hadnt used droplets before, so i learned something new. cool.

can you tell me what sort of settings you use in the creation of your action & droplet, when it comes to file saving? for instance, do you put a save step in your action? closing the file? in the droplet, do you use the Suppress Save Dialog? and when it comes to JPEG compression, what slider setting do you use in the LR export dialog, vs the PS slider option?

also, just so im clear — using a droplet in this fashion still results in two (destructive) file saves, no? (one in LR, one in PS)

thanks!
sm
S
spacemarine
Apr 16, 2007

oh, forgot to also ask — ive typically used only unsharp masks. any tips for Smart Sharpen?

thanks!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections