KS
Posted By
keir_smart
Nov 28, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I would be interested to know if the quality of sharpening using Lightroom falls short, matches or surpasses Photoshop.

Also how does Photoshop stand up when people use one of the more complicated workflows for capture sharpening, creating sharpening and output sharpening – e.g. Bruce Fraser’s suggested workflow?

regards,
Keir

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ram
Nov 28, 2006
In the light of your consideration of the workflow outlined in the second paragraph of your post, I would say that the results you can obtain in Photoshop surpass Lightroom by far.

In essence, I always follow the methods outlined in the second paragraph of your post because I always sharpen with PhotoKit Sharpener by PixelGenius (i.e. Bruce Fraser himself, Jeff Schewe, Andrew Rodney et al.). Best $100 I ever spent on software.

<http://www.pixelgenius.com/sharpener/index.html>

To be honest, I have given Lightroom several tries, but it’s not my cup of tea. So take that personal bias into account.
KS
keir_smart
Nov 28, 2006
Hi Ramón,

Thanks for this. It is not what I was hoping for but suspect that it might be accurate in spite of your bias.

I cannot imagine such a specific and flexible workflow could be matched by a global sharpening procedure.

However if Lightroom’s sharpening was/is pretty good it might still be suitable for final output sharpening which has to vary depending on what the output is to be used for.

If anyone else has done any comparisons on this I would like to hear about them.

much obliged,
Keir
PG
Pat_Gilmour
Dec 1, 2006
I really like Lightroom (and Aperture for that matter) but I have to say that there is no comparison between what Lightroom offers and what you can do with Photoshop. In Photoshop you have Smart Sharpen (highlights, shadows etc.), Unsharp mask and various other techniques (Highpass filter etc,), outlined here:

< http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/photoshop/articles/phscs2a t_advsharpen.html>

In other words you can choose the type of sharpen you want. In Lightroom you move the slide to the right. Period.

I don’t know PhotoKit Sharpener, but if Ramón says so, I guess it’s even better thatn Photoshop.

Pat
R
Ram
Dec 1, 2006
I don’t know PhotoKit Sharpener, but if Ramón says so, I guess it’s even better than Photoshop.

PhotoKit Sharpener works within Photoshop, using Photoshop’s whole array of tools.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections