hot_denim
Aug 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I require Information on

1. Colourising Greyscale Images
2. Modification of Existing Colours in images (changing colour of object)

I have seen many bits on the web about it.

BUT!, I want the most best/complete/advanced/correct solutions etc.

I once saw a thread here that linked to a page which showed an example where they colourised a baby’s head. I thought it was the best I saw. Can people re-post it ?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

DP
Donkey_Punch
Aug 14, 2004

1. Colourising Greyscale Images

I’ve done this before. What’s required is taking a flat greyscale image (flat just makes it easier), convert it to RGB and add a new layer. Set the layer to 25%-50% opacity (depending on your preference).

Take the paintbrush and paint over the various areas. You’ll have to play around with shading to some degree, but for the most part you’ll be OK.

2. Modification of Existing Colours in images (changing colour of object)

Using the select tool, select one area at a time (to make everything work better) or one color at a time. For example, if you’re making a caucasian person brown, select all their visible skin areas at the same time.

Go to Image, Adjustments, Replace Colors. The eyedroppers are there for you to select the color you’r looking to change. The sliders will change the hue, saturation and lightness.

Play around with these two techniques. Chances are you won’t get it perfect at first, but if you keep playing around with it long enough and have patience, you’ll end up learning some pretty cool tricks.
M
MCGARR
Aug 15, 2004
I have a website <http://www.computerhomephoto.com> I have colorized some balck and white images that you might like to look at. If want to know how I did them just send an email from my website on what particular image you are interested in.
Lynn
DG
Dion_G
Aug 15, 2004
BUT!, I want the most best/complete/advanced/correct solutions etc.

Oh, sorry. I’ve only got all the second best/complete/advanced/correct solutions, so I’ll just shut up.
RH
r_harvey
Aug 15, 2004
Bummer. I’ve seen Dion’s technique. It’s very nice.
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Aug 15, 2004
I have yet to see anywhere a colorized B&W photo where you can’t tell it’s been colorized. Does anyone have a link to the best that’s been done?

Personally I can’t stand the colorized look because of the monochrome feel of it. I won’t watch a classic colorized movie because of this.

Coming from a painting background I’ve always thought the best way to do this would be to apply color in tinted layers, differentiate shadow hues transitioning into highlite hues to get rid of the monochrome appearance.

I imagine it’s one of the hardest PS skills to master, though, and admire any attempts at perfecting it.
DP
Donkey_Punch
Aug 15, 2004
Personally I can’t stand the colorized look because of the monochrome feel of it.

Because people use one color and expect the natural gradients in the picture to compensate for shadows, lighting and natural distortions.

You’re right in your assertation that the correct way is a multi-layered, variable hue form of colorizing.

I merely gave the nickle answer. This is one of those "If you’re asking, you need basic answers" questions. The easiest way is to just grab a brush and paint over the layer in a new, semi-opaque layer.
JS
John_Slate
Aug 15, 2004
gradient maps
L
LenHewitt
Aug 15, 2004
Tim,

I have yet to see anywhere a colorized B&W photo where you can’t tell it’s
been colorized<<

That shouldn’t be the intention. Hand-tinting (in the conventional sense) is considered an ‘art-form’ in its own right, but no hand-tinted photograph can ever be mistaken for one taken on colour stock (or possibly as 3 separations). The same criteria should be used to judge digital colourized images.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 15, 2004
A great place to post this question and see some examples is Doug Nelson’s RetouchPro <http://www.retouchpro.com/> web site.
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Aug 15, 2004
I think I might have to take a crack at it some day. I think undetectable colorizing can be pulled off but it would probably take forever.

Thanks for the feedback and the link.
HD
hot_denim
Aug 17, 2004
Which is :

1. Best blend mode for the layer that applys the colour, is there a CORRECT blend mode ?, or just preference (between a few).

2. Which is the best to use : Color Fill layer, or HUE/SAT/LIGHTNESS Adjustment layer, and why ?

3. Layer Masks or No Layer Masks (partial layer colored)

4. Best Mask, Layer or Vector ?
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 17, 2004
I prefer using hue/sat adjustment layers.
RH
r_harvey
Aug 17, 2004
Doesn’t anybody want to talk about English anymore?
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 17, 2004
If all images are exactly the same, then the best mode is <sound of a gunshot> ….

C’mon man, we’re talking about "peferences" here. There IS no best. If there were, there would only be one way to do something. Add to that the intent of the image (screen v. print) impacts what you do and how you do it as well.

Wanna preserve texture? Color blend mode works nicely. Is it the best? It depends. Hue/Sat v. Color? Depends. Pic a color with a particular blend mode may result in exactly what you’re looking for. Other times not.

There IS NO "best", one size does not fit all. It’s an art as much as a science. Trying to render it one or the other does the entire work and injustice, as well as undermines the power of photoshop.

Ever heard "there are at least three ways to do something in photoshop"? Why do you think they say that?
RH
r_harvey
Aug 17, 2004
Ever heard "there are at least three ways to do something in photoshop"? Why do you think they say that?

Because it’s colloquial, which is an unusual English word… with I’m sure some very interesting stories behind it. I’ll bet there are some great stories; English is like that, you know.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 17, 2004
Because it’s colloquial,

colloquialized? 🙂
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 17, 2004
<rolling eyes>
RS
rrose_selavy
Aug 17, 2004
colloquialized? 🙂

Tempted, but…. (yet it was an interesting thread)
B
BobLevine
Aug 17, 2004
Get it back on topic, please. <g>

Bob
RS
rrose_selavy
Aug 17, 2004
Get it back on topic, please. <g>

Sorry. What does the "<g>" mean?
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 17, 2004
I think he meant <eg>.

<g>=Grin
<eg>=Evil Grin.

(<eg>)
FN
Fred_Nirque
Aug 17, 2004
<g> or growl in this case.

Anyhow, Tim is correct – effective colourING can be achieved but it does take forever to accomplish. Personally I still prefer the result of Marshall’s photo-oils over a sepia-toned fibre-base print. Sure it doesn’t look like a "natural colour" photo, nor does it try to, but the result is a stand-alone pleasing one, as opposed to colorIZING.

Some of my clients still prefer this as well – I just picked up an order for 16 12×16 hand-coloured prints to be done this way, in stated preference to the -izing way. As half the originals are colour to begin with, it’s interesting that this client wants them rendered in the same manner as the rest (sepia/fibre/hand-coloured), rather than straight colour prints. The extra cost to her will be substantial, but she’s putting her money where her taste is, also appreciating that this is still the most permanent result achievable.

(And before anyone gets on my case about copyright, I took all the photos originally years ago. Sometimes being around for a while is beneficial. People die, those left want photos as keepsakes, so never dispose of/delete anything – you just never know……)

As I stated in the previous thread, the only way I’ve managed to come up with a passable result in -izing is by lots of intricate handwork with brushes. Blanket gradients, H/S -ize and fills are left wanting in this. Whilst PS is an undeniably brilliant program, in this case it has no advantage vs. the time taken to do things by hand.

Fred.
HD
hot_denim
Aug 17, 2004
Cut the language talk, else the TOPIC will be Written/Off again….

I ask thed experineces at Colorising

Ok gives examples of where one would use Adjustment layers instead of Color fILL layer. and vica versa. I.e. what gives a preference.

Blend Modes;

1. So you say there is no Correct, digitaly scientific, mode ?….its all what looks OK ?
2. You say different modes for different occations, so can you confirm, do you mean; Can have a colorised photo where doffrent parts of the colorisation use diffrenet blend modes ?, and it would be correct (thing to do). I dont mean/as opposed to diffrent (single) blend modes per diffrent photo, or persons own choice.
FN
Fred_Nirque
Aug 17, 2004
Geez, h_d, does the word "please" exist in your vocabulary?
HD
hot_denim
Aug 17, 2004
Fred;

I dont want to sound too harsh; but im not here to be nice to you (I say it lightly). I use the forum to solve problems. If some want to help they will etc..etc..

Getting to the point, saves bandwidth, makes the internet faster, makes reading faster.
FN
Fred_Nirque
Aug 17, 2004
Fine. Find out for yourself then, the way the rest of us have.

I’m outa here.

Fred.
HD
hot_denim
Aug 17, 2004
Fred

Maybe your reasons for providing help was different than others…….
JJ
John_Joslin
Aug 17, 2004
There is a different solution to every problem and three ways of realising it.

Based on all the answers you have had, why don’t you do a bit of research and a bit of experimentation (like most of us already have) and stop expecting everything to be served up on a plate?

As Fred said: "I’m outa here".

There are two rules for success in life: Rule 1: Don’t tell people everything you know.
HD
hot_denim
Aug 17, 2004
John

Did do a bit of reasech and experimentaion. Can’t mention everyting in my problem Topic postings.

But i ask as to ensure I am doing things correctly, the best way, or just incase I missed somethign etc…..
O
Ol__Whozit
Aug 17, 2004
< http://www.pixeladdiction.com/bb/tutorials.php?aid=7&pag e=>

Although this tut was written for PSP instead of Photoshop, the jist is still quite applicable using adjustment layers, with a bit of tweaking for the hue/saturation adjustments. It’s a fast, effective enough effect until you want to take the countless hours to get everything "just so" manually…
RH
r_harvey
Aug 17, 2004
I dont want to sound too harsh; but im not here to be nice to you

That would be an English problem.

Did do a bit of reasech and experimentaion.

That would be your problem.
QP
Q_Photo
Aug 17, 2004
HOT-SHOT
While I’m not perfect by any means, I honestly believe that I am on earth to be nice to everyone. At least until they cheat or disrespect or harm me. The one thing I know for sure is to be nice to someone that I’m asking a favor of. Common courtesy and respect goes a long way. Some kind people have given you good info here. Learn how to say “please” and “thank you”. It’s part of being a responsible adult. Grow up.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 17, 2004
Grow up

Like it could happen.
Aug 17, 2004
Hot Denim has never had the smoothest social graces, since I first noted his appearance here.

I think he’s much more of a socially-blinkered propellerhead than an artist, from what I can tell. Not that this should serve as an excuse for his manners, but perhaps as a bit of an explanation.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 17, 2004
His typing got better tho.
HD
hot_denim
Aug 18, 2004
Q Photo

I honestly believe that I am on earth to be nice to everyone

I have things that require more priority/attention than being nice to everyone. Not that I stop you……

Phospher

Im not here to be smooth or social. I just do what need doing (if I can do it). But then again, im not particularly unsocial (looking at the fine line between unsocial-social).

Maybe ‘you’ have the problem.

YrbkMgr

Typing, yes, I remember that post we talking about the typing, I was not used to Forums such as these, more like ICQ messaging.

ALL

I am probably a different type of person than you (the regulars) as you seem to work in serious graphic work environments. Notice there are many other people that are also different types than you. We have a different psychology and are useto/expect different aspects of socialness, even if they maybe superfluous.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 18, 2004
dude you’ve been here at least a year. you KNOW what this place is like.
HD
hot_denim
Aug 18, 2004
dave

Explain about your ‘know’, I have many different thoughts about what you imply by it.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 18, 2004
I mean you’ve interacted and seen what this place is like for at least a year now. you should know how not to ruffle feathers. Unless you’re conducting a sociology experement, then carry on! 🙂
HD
hot_denim
Aug 18, 2004
Dave

What else can I do ?… Ignore thier posts….then how will I seem this forums (probably get mention and posts on ignoring and questions why)
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 18, 2004
What else can I do ?…

you could be a little nicer. i know it’s hard for us bit-heads to deal with these arteests, but it CAN be done! you just need to coddle them a bit. 🙂
B
BobLevine
Aug 18, 2004
That’s enough. Please take the etiquette debate to the lounge.

Bob

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections