C
Posted By
CassBH
Aug 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all! I am very new to Photoshop (have 6.0) and need to learn how to manuever my way around and do some basic and maybe "a little more than" basic things. I am NOT a photographer, rather I am a makeup artist who is sent pics from a photographer after a shoot, or I sometimes take my own "non-professional" pics with my Cannon A80 at a fashion show or something.

Does anyone know of an online tutorial or actual class that they have had some personal experience with? Or does anyone know of a company that offers classes in different cities (Boston) that might be helpful? The idea of online is a little more appealing, since my schedule is a bit crazy and I might be doing this stuff at 2:00am!

Thanks..looking forward to your responses!
Cassandra

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MM
Margaret_McDowell
Aug 13, 2004
Lynda.com is a pretty good one. $25 per month and you can go online and watch the tutorials 24/7. I don’t think that they cover PS 6 anymore, though.
C
CassBH
Aug 13, 2004
Would I gain anything by joining then? In other words, is there enough similarity between 6 and the newer versions to have it all make sense to me?
MM
Margaret_McDowell
Aug 13, 2004
I am afraid that it would only make you jealous of the newer bells and whistles. I’m sorry, that was my mistake to mention it. However, it is $25 per month and you can stop at any time. So maybe the investment of one month would get you up and running on the basics.

Most of what I have learned has been from that site, lots of books and this forum. 🙂
L
LenHewitt
Aug 13, 2004
Cassandra,

Have a look at http://adobe.elementk.com/
C
CassBH
Aug 13, 2004
What’s the newest version of Photoshop? Would it be worth it for someone who is not going to take advantage of each and every option?
C
CassBH
Aug 13, 2004
Thanks, I will check that out!!!
TI
Thomas_Ireland
Aug 13, 2004
The newest version is CS. It takes the place of 8.

If cost is a concern, I’d suggest a community college class or one the local school district may offer for adults as "continuing education". Either way you could get the basics for not much $.

Since your schedule is wacky, I would recommend self-teaching. The three best books I can think of are:

Photoshop Bible (for your version) by Deke McClelland $39.99 Adobe Photoshop Complete Course by Jan Kabili $49.99
and Photoshop for Digital Photographers by Scott Kelby $39.99

All these books can be purchased on-line for about half the list price! Also, you library may have them for free!

The first one is VERY authoritative, but more of a reference IMHO. The second one is just what it says. A complete course that you follow along with. The third may be what you need right away though, as it covers topics you would use for sure. Correcting photos, hiding facial blemishes, etc.

Hope this helps,

Tom Ireland
C
CassBH
Aug 13, 2004
This defintely helps! I think between doing the Online detailed course for 6.0 at Element K and using one of those books, I would learn a lot of what I need to know.

By the way, what is the cost of the latest version of Photoshop (CS)in case I ever decide to take the plunge?
TI
Thomas_Ireland
Aug 13, 2004
To upgrade from your 6.0 to CS is about $150 USD. Beware of offers asking for less than $139.99 USD. Anything much less than that might be a pirated copy.

CS has lots of useful bells and whistles for touching up photos. Check out the "What’s New In CS" section on the Adobe site.

Tom Ireland
C
CassBH
Aug 13, 2004
Problem is, I got my 6.0 from a friend. Not sure I will be able to upgrade based on that.
B
BobLevine
Aug 13, 2004
Unless your friend had a legally registered copy and transferred the license and destroyed his / her copy, the one you have is ILLEGAL.

So, unless you have a legal copy, my advice is to remove it from your computer.

Bob
HP
Helen_Polson
Aug 13, 2004
I’d suggest buying a copy of Photoshop Elements 2. It’s really good value for money and will do everything that you’ll need it to do for basic photo editing.
TI
Thomas_Ireland
Aug 13, 2004
Bob is right, and Helen has a good point! Elements has most of the stuff you would need/use for way less bucks.

Not sure where you are, but CompUSA offers Elements 2 for $99.99 USD. It is often on sale for half price. Or you may want to buy the bundled packed of Elements and Album. I have seen that package for $99.99 USD!

Also, and Bob may want to correct me on this, but I think if you want to later, you can upgrade to CS from Elements 2.

Tom Ireland
C
CassBH
Aug 13, 2004
I have Elements 2.0 but someone told me that it may be TOO basic for what I may need for the future. Any thoughts on this? I have not played around with it very much.
C
CassBH
Aug 13, 2004
Actually, I THINK I have what is the full version of Elements. I am currently looking at the green disc that my husband installed, it says "Adobe Photoshop Elements" and in the corner says "For Bundles Only. Not to be sold separately". It does not have a version listed on the disc.

Is this the "full" version of Elements? Whatever it is, it is already loaded on our home pc.
TI
Thomas_Ireland
Aug 13, 2004
"someone told me that it may be TOO basic for what I may need for the future. Any thoughts on this? I have not played around with it very much."

I suggest that you do. No sense paying for more boat that you can paddle. I have used both and (don’t tell Adobe this) Elements is WAY under priced. Test drive it on one of your actual projects and see how it performs. You may be surprised to find it’s all you need.

As far as bundled software, it is a group of software that is part of a package usually shipped with a new PC. Should be the full version of Elements.

Tom Ireland
C
CassBH
Aug 13, 2004
Tom,

check out my post regarding what I think I may have for Elements and let me know your thoughts 🙂
B
BobLevine
Aug 13, 2004
You can upgrade from Elements but it’s still $499.00

Check it out here:

http://store.adobe.com/store/products/special.jhtml?id=catPS EL_PSoffer&sourcecode=128600

My guess about the Elements disk that Cass has is that its version 1.0 if there’s no version number on it. Version 2, from what I understand is vastly improved.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 13, 2004
my vote is take the cs class at a community college and while you’re enrolled get the educational full version of photoshop.
TI
Thomas_Ireland
Aug 13, 2004
The way to tell what version you have is to open the program and click on "Help" then click on "About Elements". This will tell you if you have 1.0 (most likely), or 2.0.

PS is a monster of a program, and the only way to tame it is to jump right in with both fists. Nothing like playing around with a program to see how it works I always say. Elements IMHO is just shy of PS. I’m thinking it’s 80% of PS for 15% of the price.

Again, try it out on one of your projects, and see if it has what you need. And remember the last two books I suggested. I think they’ll help you get up to speed quickly.

Also, for assistance, Bob Levine knows the rules for the software, and Dave has a knack of remembering things I have forgotten. Keep checking in here, even if you don’t have a problem, and you’ll learn lots for free. I have and do!

If your schedule will permit, the class and discount on SC is a great way to go. Thanks for remembering that, Dave.

Tom Ireland
C
CassBH
Aug 13, 2004
I did the "help…About Elements" thing and checked with my excellent vision as all this info (mostly names) was slowly scrolling. It is not listed anyplace obvious what version it is. However, somewhere in small print I did see "Second Ed. copyrighted"….couls this mean I have 2.0???

If so, this might be a better program for me, as it may be less daunting, and therefore less intimidating to experiment with.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 13, 2004
(and less illegal!) 🙂
TI
Thomas_Ireland
Aug 13, 2004
""Second Ed. copyrighted"….couls this mean I have 2.0??? "

Not sure. I no longer have it on my machine. Have re-built my PC several times over dealing with video editing requirements, and in the process, have not re installed it.

Maybe someone else here in the forum knows. Or you could always call the folks at Adobe and ask. It would be nice to know for sure what version you have so you can the correct training though, no matter how you go after it.

I mentioned this thread to a friend, and she suggested you check the web for training on DVDs. There are some nice programs out there that vary in price. I’ll bet they also vary on quality, but worth looking into I should think.
MM
Margaret_McDowell
Aug 13, 2004
Here’s a site that I have found helpful. She works with older versions of PS:

<http://myjanee.home.insightbb.com/tutorials.htm>
B
BobLevine
Aug 13, 2004
Why not visit the Elements forum and ask there?

Bob
C
CassBH
Aug 13, 2004
I discovered that I have version 1.0.1. So, would it be worth playing around a bit with that to see if it offers what I need, or is there such a large difference between tha capabilities of 1 and 2 that it would be worth purchasing Elements 2 instead? (Obviously, this question is directed to the few people who originally suggested Elements in the first place).

It is only $99 bucks and, accordig to a photographer I just talked to, has some decent stuff.
B
BobLevine
Aug 13, 2004
My guess is that you can get it much cheaper than that and that it would be well worth the price. If you get the PSE/PSA bundle there’s a $30.00 rebate.

Again, I advise you to go visit the Elements forum to get feedback there.

Bob
C
CassBH
Aug 13, 2004
Already have PS Album…but would love to know where I might find Elements cheaper, if you know. I am leaning towards Elements, since I have spoken with 2 people today that say it is a good program and less overwhelming:)
B
BobLevine
Aug 13, 2004
Have you checked the online retailers?

Bob
C
CassBH
Aug 13, 2004
Since I am very new to all of this, I am not sure which particular retailers you are talking about. I know Adobe sells it for $99, as do the major chains like Best Buy.
B
BobLevine
Aug 13, 2004
I just saw the PSE/PSA combo at Costco for $99.00 and that has a $30.00 rebate.

Check Amazon Google it. I’m sure you can get a good deal.

Bob
C
CassBH
Aug 13, 2004
ok, thanks for all your help 🙂
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 13, 2004
check buy.com too.
T
Terrat
Aug 15, 2004
I think you should ask your question in a ps forum such as Retouchpro before buying anything.

And 2nd hand books such as those by Katrin Eismann cover specialized interests such as yours…body sculpting, makeup, skin, blurs, USM methods, and other basic used for people’s skin and clothing.

Use search engine "google" to look for your specific subject.
LK
Leen_Koper
Aug 15, 2004
"I am leaning towards Elements, since I have spoken with 2 people today that say it is a good program and less overwhelming:) ".

I am a professional portrait and wedding photographer and until recently I just only used Elements. I switched to CS because of the RAW converter.
You can do almost anything you want in Elements, especially when you download the free Shipley plug ins to be able to use Curves.
The Elements forum is always extremely helpful; there are a lot of friendly people out there. Moreover, have a look at the "Challenges" on this forum, a wonderful way to increase your skills.

Leen

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections