Posted By
Greg_Sullivan
Aug 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
Whenever I attempt to perform a Save As, Photoshop crashes. Usually, it just terminates abruptly, a few seconds after the Save As dialog box appears. Once, though, it displayed an error, relating to gdiplus.dll
It crashes before I actually press the Save button in the Save As dialog – all I have to do is to choose File | Save As, and then leave it for a few seconds.

A normal "Save" seems to work fine.

Not sure what changed on my system to cause this – it used to work.

I’m running Windows XP SP1.

Greg.
p.s I have emailed Adobe support as well. (no reply yet)

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 10, 2004
Have you tried the most obvious stuff, like checking the disk integrity? Are you connected to a network?

You might try resetting Photoshops preferences per the procedure in the FAQ.

Peace,
Tony
GS
Greg_Sullivan
Aug 10, 2004
I’ve done a chkdsk and there was nothing untoward. I am only connected to the internet – not a LAN. I have no network shares.

I have tried resetting the preferences, but that hasn’t fixed the problem.

Actually, it’s just crashed when browsing for a file to open, now. So it’s not only the Save As which is not working.

I haven’t tried a re-install yet.

Greg.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 10, 2004
Reinstall then. That’s the only thing I can think of, assuming of course, that you’re system environment is sound.

Peace,
Tony
GS
Greg_Sullivan
Aug 10, 2004
Well I’ll be damned – I’ve just applied the XP SP2 update, and the problem has gone away! 🙂

Greg.
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 10, 2004
gdiplus is part of the display system, and related to drawing things on screen.

Most likely there was a bug in your video card driver.
GS
Greg_Sullivan
Aug 10, 2004
Thanks Chris.

Note that I have recently installed two different antivirus programs (one at a time), neither of which are mainstream programs I don’t think: Avast, and QuickHeal. Neither of these were installed when I was troubleshooting this PS problem, but I wonder whether one of these programs may have caused the problem.

Greg.
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 10, 2004
Yes, they could also cause problems (and I’ve never heard of either one).

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections