MS
Posted By
Matt_Strieby
Jul 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does anyone know if the Radeon X300 SE graphics card overrides Adobe Gamma? I can launch Adobe Gamma, but none of my choices (e.g. moving the gamma slider) makes any change. Is there a setting I need to disable before running Adobe Gamma? I noticed in the FAQs that there was a similar issue with the other graphics cards.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DM
dave_milbut
Jul 29, 2004
I don’t know about that specific card, but the catalyst drivers after 4.1 and before 4.6 deliberately disabled adobe gamma (probably other 3rd party gamma utils too.)

get 4.6 and you should be fine.

dave (ati all-in-wonder 9700 pro, also a radeon board)
MS
Matt_Strieby
Jul 30, 2004
Dave

How do I tell what version of the driver I currently have? This is a brand new computer, so I would think it would be the latest, but who knows. I went online to ATI, but mostly got confused. I can dowload version 4.7…will it automatically update?

Thanks,

Matt
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 30, 2004
This is a brand new computer, so I would think it would be the latest,

that’s rarely the case. systems can sit for months after being built before shipping. in the last 2 months there’s been 3 ati driver releases. and if you adobe gamma’s not working, i can tell you for a fact you have a catalyst version between 4.2 and 4.5.

I didn’t even know 4.7 was out! looking at the site, it looks like as long as your card is indeed radeon based, 4.7 would be fine. yes. definately get it.

since it’s a new system, you should make sure to do any windows updates before loading anything else.
MS
Matt_Strieby
Jul 31, 2004
Dave

I was able to find some specs on the card- it was manufactured back in May, so you’re probably right…it probably does have an old catalyst driver. I will definitely get the new one. Thanks for your help.

Matt
MS
Matt_Strieby
Jul 31, 2004
Dave-

One more thing:

Do I need all three downloads? There’s a display driver, control panel and WDM capture driver. Forgive my ignorance, but I know pretty much next to nothing about video drivers.

Thanks,

Matt
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 31, 2004
not if that card doesn’t have a tv tuner. all you need is the driver.
MS
Matt_Strieby
Aug 3, 2004
Thanks Dave.

Matt
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 3, 2004
welcome, matt.

d’oh! 🙂
D
DrJohnD
Aug 3, 2004
Simply check the drivers release date. I have never seen a video driver yet that doesn’t show the release date or at least the version number of the driver installed.

All of NVidia’s and ATI’s that I’ve ever seen do this.

Yea, that’s why I always have my computers custom built for me from <http://www.customperfect.com> that way I know that everything inside it is new.

On a new computer, you should go to MS’s windows update and get every patch before you install ANY software. Next you should update EVERY major driver (sound, video, etc). Next I would tweak all the windows settings for optimal performance. THEN I would install applications like Photoshop.

BTW- There are lots of programs out there to help people tweak computers for system performance.

When tweaking your services (really important if you want to get the best bang for your buck) check out this website:
<http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm>

He has it all down for you to do, step by step. They guys at customperfect do that automatically for their customers so I have not had to do it myself.
D
DrJohnD
Aug 3, 2004
SIDENOTE: The spell checker here does not recognize "Photoshop" as a word. Kind of funny this being Adobe’s Photoshop forum and all.

;^)
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 3, 2004
Yea, that’s why I always have my computers custom built for me from [snip] that way I know that everything inside it is new.

do you mind not spamming that company anymore drjohnd? it’s getting really annoying. are you the john derrick that owns or operates that site? it’s really disengenuous of you to keep referring to them as "they" when it’s "you" and you’re really spamming this group with your own product.
JJ
John_Joslin
Aug 3, 2004
You took the woids outa ma mouth Dave.

Such transparent plugging really gets on your nerves.

Cheers – John
D
DrJohnD
Aug 3, 2004
Ha ha ha

I wish I owned a corporation or even ran one. My full name is Dr. John Davis. I’m sure that if I did own a company I would be clever enough to type under a differnet name, or at least a name that sounds less like my own. 😉

I readily admit that I have mentioned them on here (more than once) because they gave me a great deal and told me to spread the word. I have helped a lot of people and don’t feel that I have done anything out of line.

I can change my name to John Davis is that helps. Or even John Davis Jr. (which I am)
D
DrJohnD
Aug 3, 2004
Matt, did you ever get your Gamma problem fixed?
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 3, 2004
apologies then dr j. it was just getting a bit much.
D
DrJohnD
Aug 3, 2004
No problem. Perhaps it was poor etiquette on my part.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections