DH
Posted By
Dennis Hughes
Dec 31, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I adjust the contrast, brightness, etc of an image in psd format and it looks just fine on screen.

If I save it as a jpg using save for the web, the image is noticeable more washed out on the monitor. If I open the jpg in the Windows viewer, it is also somewhat washed out, yet the same image looks just fine in the psd format.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Any thoughts?

I haven’t run Adobe Gamma to calibrate my monitor, but thought that might be a good idea. I can’t find it. PS Help doesn’t tell me how to get to it, just to run it.

Thanks and happy new year,

Dennis

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

H
howldog
Dec 31, 2004
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 17:15:01 GMT, "Dennis Hughes" wrote:

When I adjust the contrast, brightness, etc of an image in psd format and it looks just fine on screen.

If I save it as a jpg using save for the web, the image is noticeable more washed out on the monitor. If I open the jpg in the Windows viewer, it is also somewhat washed out, yet the same image looks just fine in the psd format.

Any thoughts?
when i’m working in photoshop on images i know will beviewed via a monitor, in my color settings, i change the RGB input to sRGB, or, sometimes, whatever profile my monitor is using, it says Monitor at the beginning of the name. That usually does the trick for me, makes images in photoshop look exactly like they will viewed by windows viewer.
M
mono
Dec 31, 2004
snip
I haven’t run Adobe Gamma to calibrate my monitor,

tsk, tsk,

but thought that might be a good idea. I can’t find it.

Run it from Start-Settings-Control Panel-Adobe Gamma. Not recommended if your monitor is a TFT as it’s designed for CRT monitors. Pay particular attention to the ambient lighting before you start as this will influence your results. Once done you should recalibrate at monthly or so intervals.

HTH and a HNYTYT

Brian
(the other one)
DH
Dennis Hughes
Dec 31, 2004
Brian,

Found Gamma in the control panel. That location might be a good addition to the Adobe help.

Since I’ve got a Samsung LCD, guess I’ll skip it.

Thanks

Dennis
"mono" wrote in message
snip
I haven’t run Adobe Gamma to calibrate my monitor,

tsk, tsk,

but thought that might be a good idea. I can’t find it.

Run it from Start-Settings-Control Panel-Adobe Gamma. Not recommended if your monitor is a TFT as it’s designed for CRT monitors. Pay particular attention to the ambient lighting before you start as this will influence your results. Once done you should recalibrate at monthly or so intervals.

HTH and a HNYTYT

Brian
(the other one)
DH
Dennis Hughes
Dec 31, 2004
Howldog,

Great idea, I’ll give it a try. Didn’t even know this was an option.

Dennis

"howldog" wrote in message
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 17:15:01 GMT, "Dennis Hughes" wrote:

when i’m working in photoshop on images i know will be viewed via a monitor, in my color settings, i change the RGB input to sRGB, or, sometimes, whatever profile my monitor is using, it says Monitor at the beginning of the name. That usually does the trick for me, makes images in photoshop look exactly like they will viewed by windows viewer.
M2
Michael 23
Dec 31, 2004
If I save it as a jpg using save for the web

in my experience, save for web can have drastically different results, and output varies depending on your
output settings, try playing with the different save settings and see what you get.

Michael Evangelista
Southern Utah Web Design
www.suwebs.com

"Dennis Hughes" wrote in message

Any thoughts?

I haven’t run Adobe Gamma to calibrate my monitor, but thought that might be a good idea. I can’t find it. PS Help doesn’t tell me how to get to it, just to run it.

Thanks and happy new year,

Dennis
L
lew
Dec 31, 2004
Dennis Hughes wrote:
Brian,

Found Gamma in the control panel. That location might be a good addition to the Adobe help.

Since I’ve got a Samsung LCD, guess I’ll skip it.

Thanks

Dennis

You might check the Samsung site to see if they have/provide a calibration app for their lcd.

I recently bought a LG L1930B lcd & LGElectronics provide a calibration app, Colorific, which does both lcd & crt; it was much simpler to calibrate than adobe gamma even if a few of the processes were the same. Colorific requires a provided color-card which is also used when calibration.
P
povlhp
Jan 2, 2005
In article <pOfBd.8329$>, Dennis Hughes wrote:

Any thoughts?

Sure. When saving for web, remember to first convert to the gamut of a 10 year old low-end monitor. That is convert to sRGB. This is what Microsoft assumes is all we can afford after paying for their products.

We need a Mozilla Firefox and an Internet Explorer that understands embedded ICC profiles.

Povl H. Pedersen – (yes – it works)
Fastnet – IP telefoni: 5 kr/md Se http://www.musimi.dk

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections