D
Posted By
DaVinci
Jul 3, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Maybe you better uninstall Adobe Gamma first, then it should be normal again ….

"Peter" schreef in bericht
Hi,

I am using Windows 2000 Professional and I have installed Photoshop 7.0. Installation of Photoshop includes a program called "Adobe Gamma" which is placed in the Control Panel.

One day I accidently played around with Adobe Gamma causing it to change
the
whole screen to gray. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe 7.0 in
order
to hope to change the screen back to its original color, but it was no
use.
The screen color stayed as gray.

Now, I find that when I use any setting, which is over 256 colors for the display setting, the Adobe Gamma program changes the screen gray.
Has anyone had this problem?

thanks.

Peter

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

M
Madsen
Jul 3, 2003
Peter wrote:

Now, I find that when I use any setting, which is over 256 colors for the display setting, the Adobe Gamma program changes the screen gray.

Open Adobe Gamma and make a new profile for your monitor. < http://www.adobe.com/support/techguides/color/gamma/gamma.ht ml>

Regards
Madsen.
A
arrooke
Jul 3, 2003
Can you not just re-run adobe gamma? This time following instructions.

Keith

I am using Windows 2000 Professional and I have installed Photoshop 7.0. Installation of Photoshop includes a program called "Adobe Gamma" which is placed in the Control Panel.

the
order
use.

thanks.

Peter

H
Herman
Jul 3, 2003
If you don’t care about monitor profiling, just (re)move the Adobe Gamma Loader shortcut from the Program > Startup folder to your deskop for example.

"Peter" wrote in message
Hi,

the
order
use.

thanks.

Peter

M
Madsen
Jul 3, 2003
Herman wrote:

If you don’t care about monitor profiling, just (re)move the Adobe Gamma Loader shortcut from the Program > Startup folder to your deskop for example.

It doesn’t prevent Photoshop from using the profile loaded in Adobe Gamma in the Control Panel and that profile has obviously a defect. You’re right that it could prevent the black and white display when more than 8 bit is selected in Windows but Photoshop would be more or less useless with a defective monitor profile in Adobe Gamma, as far as I know.

Regards
Madsen.
P
Peter
Jul 4, 2003
Thanks for all your replies. But the problem is that when I open Adobe Gamma, the whole screen turns gray.

I have already uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe Photoshop 7.0, which uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe Gamma (I think). The only way that I can prevent my screen from turning gray is when I set the display card setting to 256 colors. If I set the display card setting to anything above 256 colors and I have Adobe Gamma running, the whole screen turns grey.

Maybe I did not uninstall the files thoroughly enough? Is there a way to uninstall Adobe photoshop along with Adobe Gamma thoroughly?

Peter

"Madsen"
M
Madsen
Jul 4, 2003
Peter wrote:

Thanks for all your replies. But the problem is that when I open Adobe Gamma, the whole screen turns gray.

What happens when you press the load button in Adobe Gamma and selects another profile? If you get your colors back, then calibrate your monitor with that profile, as described in your Photoshop manual or on < http://www.adobe.com/support/techguides/color/gamma/gamma.ht ml> and when your done then overwrite the old black and white profile, if it’s possible.

Regards
Madsen.
N
nemo
Jul 5, 2003
I’ve got a nasty feeling it’s your Operating System you’re going to have to re-install.

Nemo

Peter wrote in message

I have already uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe Photoshop 7.0, which uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe Gamma (I think). The only way that I
can
prevent my screen from turning gray is when I set the display card setting to 256 colors. If I set the display card setting to anything above 256 colors and I have Adobe Gamma running, the whole screen turns grey.
Maybe I did not uninstall the files thoroughly enough? Is there a way to uninstall Adobe photoshop along with Adobe Gamma thoroughly?
Peter

"Madsen"
MB
matt betea
Aug 1, 2003
Hello,
I’ve never seen this before with any monitors I have, but… I have a NEC/Mitsubishi FP912SB monitor. When using Adobe Gamma, trying to load the profile for it gives me an error message saying "The profile is not a legal RGB profile."

Would anyone know what the cause of this is? I’ve also heard some suggestions about starting out with just the sRGB to calibrate, but would that hinder the display’s performance or operating ability I should say at all? Thanks for any help.

matt
P
Phosphor
Aug 1, 2003
The starting profile doesn’t matter too much.

But in your case it sounds like you started with a corrupt profile, and it’s still causing problems after being modified by Adobe Gamma.

Just pick a different starting profile (and remember to save it to a new name!)….
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 13, 2003
do I leave the contrast at the max?

Yes. Changing it will obviate your AG profile.
DP
Daryl Pritchard
Aug 13, 2003
Although it has been a few years since I read this, and I don’t even recall the source, I have long followed the approach of always setting the contrast on a CRT monitor to maximum, and then using the brightness setting to adjust the display to my liking. This was said to result in running the CRT cooler and thus prolonging its life. Fact or fiction, true of older but not of newer CRTs, I don’t know. But, it may still be credible advice and at least it seems consistent with the directions provided by Adobe Gamma.

Regards,

Daryl
KL
Kenneth Liffmann
Sep 3, 2003
I am attempting to use this program to configure settings for my new monitor. I have the values for phosphor(r,g,b).
White point is said to be 9300Β°K, per tech., although on another screen there is "recall 6500Β°K". I called tech support of the manufacturer, and they don’t have a number for gamma value.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Ken
NS
Nancy S
Sep 4, 2003
Ken,

Probably you should go ahead and run the Adobe Gamma utility. You said you have the Hidden Power book, which has a lot of guidance for using the utility. Since you don’t have a canned monitor profile, I think starting with the sRBG will do and you do have the phosphor values.

In most monitors the white point (color temperature) can be set by the user. Mine is set by using the "On Screen Display". Factory default seems to be 9300 degrees, a somewhat blue white compared to 6500 and 5500(or thereabouts) which are decidedly a more yellow white. Choose to suit. The pros, it seems from my reads, seem to favor the lower ones. I tried both and stuck with the 9300, but the setting is a personal decision I’d say.

It might be wise to make a copy of the sRGB profile (if you decide to go with that) and use for the starting point, just in case your renaming gets fouled up (lots of people have done this). Of course, another copy of sRGB is easily downloadable from the internet.

Gamma, 2.2?? for Windows

Nancy
BB
brent bertram
Sep 4, 2003
Kenneth,
Take a look at Ian Lyons tutorial on the Adobe Gamma utility. He’ll recommend you set your monitor at 6500 degrees and 2.2 gamma ( but I don’t do his tutorial justice ). <http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7-colour/ps7_2.htm> .

Another good resource is Norman Koren’s site, <http://www.normankoren.com/color_management.html> .

πŸ™‚

Brent
KL
Kenneth Liffmann
Sep 4, 2003
Nancy and Brent,
Thanks for your posts.
When I bring up the on-screen monitor display, there are two color temp. screens:
1. Recall 6500Β°K Temp
2. Recall 9300Β°K Temp
I asked the tech about these and he told me that #1 has to do with yellow and #2 with blue-white. This agrees with the info. from Ian Lyons. I still don’t understand, then, why the default monitor settings out of the box list both these KΒ° values. Actually, the prints that I have made have pretty good color rendition compared to commercially produced prints. With the last roll I ordered a picture CD just to evaluate this. Of course, the CD just gives one JPG.
Ken
P
Phosphor
Sep 26, 2003
Could anyone point me in the right direction to download the adobe gamma please?

I’ve read somewhere that it should have come with my PE2 but I can’t seem to find it.

Thanks in advance
fran
P
Phosphor
Sep 26, 2003
oops, just found it!

fran
B
BobHill
Sep 26, 2003
Glad you found Gamma, Franjo. Otherwise, it’s not downloadable.

Bob
P
Phosphor
Sep 27, 2003
Thanks for info Bob. I was actually mooching through the site’s archives and came across a query that mentioned where it should be stored – should have looked properly before asking πŸ™‚
GK
George_Kroener
Oct 10, 2003
Using Adobe7 with WindowsXP. My goal is for the prints to be the same as they appear on the monitor.
I can’t find a "reset" button or default setting in the program. How can I reset my computer to default if I
don’t like my own settings?…….Looking forward to your replies……thanks…..George

PS: Using Dell 8200 desktop
HP Printer
512RAM
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 10, 2003
You "reset" by picking a different starting profile, and redoing the calibration.
GH
Gary_Hummell
Oct 10, 2003
George,
From your post I am not sure how familiar you might be with color management so I would suggest that a good online reference for refining your system would be:
<http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7-colour/ps7_1.htm>

Gary
GK
George_Kroener
Oct 12, 2003
Chris–Gary—Thanks for your input.

After changing my settings– its quite possible I won’t be happy with what I’ve done. So my question is: How do I return to the default – original setting? Thanks……George
SJ
Stu_J._Davis
Oct 14, 2003
Hi, I installed Photoshop Elements 2 on my computer. I am running Windows 98 SE. I have a partitioned hard drive and installed Elements on the F: drive. I was trying to get Adobe Gamma to work and I could not. It is in
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration. When I try to open the .exe, nothing happens. When I try to open the .cpl, I get a message telling me that it can’t be found. I tried to move the calibration folder to the same folder where Elements is installed (and changed the registry setting), but it does the same thing. Does anyone have any idea why I can’t get Adobe Gamma to work?? If so, please respond. Thank You.
R
RobertHJones
Oct 14, 2003
Stu,

Don’t fiddle with the registry. When I installed PSE 2 on my system, the cpl file did not get copied to the system folder which meant adobe gamma did not appear in the control panel. All you have to do is copy the "adobe gamma.cpl" file from the calibration folder to the windows system folder which on Win98SE is C:\windows\system. (on WinXP it’s C:\windows\system32)

After the cpl file is copied, open the control panel and the adobe gamma icon should show up. Execute that to establish a profile for your monitor.

There is also a program in the startup folder to launch the adobe gamma loader program on windows start up. That should have installed ok, but you may want to check to see that it’s there and got loaded.

Bob
SJ
Stu_J._Davis
Oct 14, 2003
Thanks for the responce Bob. I copied the Adobe Gamma .cpl to the system folder and it did show up in the control panel. When I try to open it, I get an error message that says "An error occurred while Windows was working with the control panel file c:\windows\system\adobe gamma.cpl". It does show up on the startup.
I put the registry back to where it was. I tried to reinstall Elements, but I get the same result. Do you have any more ideas? Thank You.
GV
Gabriel_Villada
Nov 21, 2003
I had Photoshop elements 2; I had photoshop 7; I upgraded to photoshop CS. I removed Photoshop elements 2 from my system and now my Adobe Gamma is missing so I am unable to calibrate my screen. I am looking for information on where I can go to down load Adobe Gamma?
MH
Mark_Hiers
Nov 22, 2003
Reinstall Photoshop CS
SR
Steve Reeves
Nov 22, 2003
I had Photoshop elements 2; I had photoshop 7; I upgraded to photoshop CS. I removed Photoshop elements 2 from my system and now my Adobe Gamma is missing so I am unable to calibrate my screen. I am looking for information on where I can go to down load Adobe Gamma?

It may be that Adobe Gamma is still there.

Have a look in the folder:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration

and see if the .cpl file is there – if so run it and calibrate.

Create a shortcut to the Adobe Gamma Loader.exe file in your startup menu and I think that’ll do the trick.

Somebody please correct me if I’m wrong – I am unable to test this at present.

Does anybody know if PSCS installs a new verson of Adobe Gamma compared to say Elelments 2?

Cheers

Steve
D
deaton
Nov 23, 2003
yeah, what Mark said. That should solve your problem.
BM
Billie_Mercer
Nov 24, 2003
My OS is Windows 2000 Pro.
Could someone give me the path so I can be sure that Adobe Gamma isn’t loading in the startup menu. When I do a "search" with Adobe Gamma, I find
Documents and settings\all users\start menu\programs
But I can’t find it with Windows Explore in the start menu. I’ve checked control panel/display/properties and the correct ICC profile is showing as it is in PS/edit/color settings/Monitor:xxxxx
Billie
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Nov 24, 2003
My Adobe Gamma is in Control Panel. (NOT under Display properties, but on its own.) Win 2000 Pro here also…
Rob
BM
Billie_Mercer
Nov 24, 2003
Rob,
I know I have it there too but what I am trying to do is to be sure it doesn’t load on the startup menu.
Billie
MM
Mac_McDougald
Nov 25, 2003
In Win9x it loads from shortcut in startup folder.

Mac
L
LenHewitt
Nov 25, 2003
Billie,

Are you attempting to get rid of Adobe Gamma or Adobe Gamma Loader?

Adobe Gamma will apear as a Control Panel Applet and you would need to remove the .CPL file

Adobe Gamma Loader will be in the Startup folder. Suggest you check in the Startup folders for all User Accounts on the machine for Adobe Gamma Loader.exe or a shortcut to Adobe Gamma Loader
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 25, 2003
Why are you trying to remove Adobe Gamma Loader?

The only good reason would be that you have another calibrator installed and it is loading the video LUTs.
J
jojoba2003
Dec 23, 2003
Hi,

I’m under W2k, SP4.
I can’t use the adobe gamma to setup my monitor.
In the control panel directory, there is no shortcut of adobe gamma. And in the directory Program Files/Common Files/Adobe/Calibration when I double-click on the adobegammaloader.exe, nothing appears.

What should I do?

thanks.
BB
brent_bertram
Dec 23, 2003
Adobe Gamma Loader.exe is normally executed on startup to load the profile created by the Adobe Gamma.cpl file ( cpl stands for control panel applet ) . Search for the Adobe Gamma.cpl file and try running that with a mouse "Right Click" . You should get the option to run it using the control panel.

πŸ™‚
L
LenHewitt
Dec 23, 2003
Login as Administrator and then look for Adobe Gamma in the C/Panel
KL
Kostadin_Luchansky
Dec 28, 2003
I also have a problem with ADOBE GAMMA but my video driver is INTEL 82845G/GL Graphics Controller. It apparently overrides Adobe Gamma Loader from operating πŸ™ I cannot find the respective Intel service (like in the case of NVIDIA) in administrative tools/services list πŸ™ Can anybody help? Best regards,
Kostadin

wrote in message
news:

If you are running under Windows XP with a Nvidia video card, the NVIDIA driver helper service overrides Adobe Gamma Loader from operating. If you
meet those conditions the fix is to open "control panel"/"administrative tools"/"services". Then highlight the "NVIDIA driver helper service", right
click and open properties. In the "Startup Type" drop down list change from
Automatic to Disabled.

Every time you reinstall a new NVIDIA driver it enables the service again and you have to repeat the disable process.

(hat tip: Garrett Adams)
J
juanriera
Jan 11, 2004
Hello,
I have installed Photoshop CS on XP Home edition but I can not see Adobe Gamma on Control Panel folder. May anynone help me please?

Thanks,
Juan
J
juanriera
Jan 11, 2004
Hello,
I have installed Photoshop CS on XP Home edition but I can not see Adobe Gamma on Control Panel folder. May anynone help me please?

Thanks,
Juan
SR
Steve Reeves
Jan 12, 2004
I have this issue to. To run the Gamma wizard try looking in:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma.cpl

On my XP system this opens up the control panel applet. Why is it isn’t in the copntrol panel is beyond me – probably a simple explanation but nothing most people would loose sleep over.

Hope that helps a bit Juan.

All the best
Steve

In message , Juan
writes
Hello,
Thanks,
Juan

Steve
L
Lugan
Feb 4, 2004
Where the heck do i adjust my monitor using Adobe Gamma in PS CS? Can’t find it anywhere yet I know that its there because I’ve set it B4.
JC
James Connell
Feb 4, 2004
Lugan wrote:
Where the heck do i adjust my monitor using Adobe Gamma in PS CS? Can’t find it anywhere yet I know that its there because I’ve set it B4.

lookin windows control panel – adobe gamma doesn’t ship with the mac version. use apple’s thing for that machine.
C
Clyde
Feb 5, 2004
James Connell wrote:
Lugan wrote:

lookin windows control panel – adobe gamma doesn’t ship with the mac version. use apple’s thing for that machine.

It’s not that obvious. You have to click "Other Control Panel Options" on the left to see it. Well, in my XP Pro anyway.

Clyde
LC
Lynn_Cummings
May 4, 2004
I’m sure I’m doing something stupid, but I can’t figure out what…Help! I’m using Windows XP. I’d like to calibrate my monitor, and the best option at this moment seems to be Adobe Gamma. I called the maker of my monitor (NEC) and got the spec’s. I open A.G. and plug in all the numbers I was given. I click on"ok" I get a window that says "save in:Color… File name:srgb color space profile icm". I say "Save" and the window closes. The screen (colors, brightness, etc) seems to remain the same. Yet if I re-open Adobe Gamma all the numbers have reverted to the original.

Furthermore, if I turn off the computer, when it comes back on the screen’s back to it’s uncalibrated condition; and all the numbers in Adobe Gamma are different from the way I set them.

I shouldn’t have to recalibrate every time I turn on the computer, should I? How do I get things to stay put? Same thing happens if I use the Wizard, but it seems too subjective. Is this a computer problem, or an Adobe Gamma problem? Or a "me" problem?
BB
brent_bertram
May 4, 2004
It’s a "You" problem, I think , Lynn <G>. For one thing, it sounds like you save your profile over the top of the sRGB profile ( not a good thing ). You should be saving under a custom name, like "Lynn’s CRT" or something like that. You shouldn’t actually have to enter a bunch of numbers, etc, just follow the wizard. Here’s a tutorial on the subject that is much prized.
<http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7-colour/ps7_2.htm>

Here’s is a link to download the original Adobe ICC profiles, if you over wrote sRGB . < http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=6 2&platform=Windows>

Is your monitor an LCD or a CRT . The procedure is different , depending upon which type. <http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/1403e.htm>

πŸ™‚

Brent
LC
Lynn_Cummings
May 4, 2004
Brent — thanks a ton! I’m going to try it all, and I’ll get back to you w/ results.
LC
Lynn_Cummings
May 4, 2004
Brent — link #1 & 2 are going to be helpful; Link #3 sent me elsewhere (already found the same info for Windows, which is what I have). I have an LCD monitor — if Link #3 is supposed to give me special info for LCD (paired w/ Windows XP), then do you mind double-checking it?

Thanks, really — Lynn.
BB
brent_bertram
May 4, 2004
The pertinent part of link #3 for LCD monitors is:

" The "Calibrating Your Monitor" section of the user guide (e.g., Adobe Illustrator 9.0 User Guide, pages 214-216; Adobe InDesign 1.0 User Guide, pages 301-302), gives you detailed instructions for preparing for monitor calibration, adjusting the settings, and saving the finished profile. If you don’t complete a step (e.g., making sure your monitor has been turned on for at least a half hour), your profile may not be accurate.

If you load an existing profile (e.g., Generic RGB Profile) and modify it in Adobe Gamma, be sure to change its Description (e.g., My monitor 10/22/99) so you can distinguish it from the original. It’s a good idea to enter the same name in the Description field and in the Save As dialog box that appears you finish using Adobe Gamma. Also, if you include the date in the name, you’ll know how long it’s been since you last calibrated the monitor.

Note: Flat panel display monitors (e.g., Apple Studio Display) do not use brightness and contrast. Instead, they use white point and black point levels to adjust the monitor’s characterization. Because of this, load the ICC profile that comes with your flat panel in Adobe Gamma without modifying the settings except the Description. Make sure to save your profile with a filename that matches the Description name."

πŸ™‚

Brent
LC
Lynn_Cummings
May 6, 2004
Got it — Thanks, Brent, couldn’t have done it without you. Lynn.
GP
Gordon Peffer
Jun 18, 2004
The gamma sliders in the Adobe gamma utility don’t work, either the single gamma slider or the separate color sliders. I have a new XP system with a dual Radeon 9200 video card.

Gordon Peffer
M
Madsen
Jun 18, 2004
Gordon Peffer wrote:

The gamma sliders in the Adobe gamma utility don’t work, either the single gamma slider or the separate color sliders. I have a new XP system with a dual Radeon 9200 video card.

Are you using Catalyst version 4.2, 4.3 or 4.4 for your Radeon Card? If that’s the case then install Catalyst 4.6 or higher. See: <http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4501.html>.

Regards
Madsen
GP
Gordon Peffer
Jun 18, 2004
That did it. Thank you very much.

Gordon Peffer

"Thomas G. Madsen" wrote in message
Gordon Peffer wrote:

Are you using Catalyst version 4.2, 4.3 or 4.4 for your Radeon Card? If that’s the case then install Catalyst 4.6 or higher. See: <http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4501.html>.

Regards
Madsen
M
Madsen
Jun 18, 2004
Gordon Peffer wrote:

That did it. Thank you very much.

You’re welcome.

Regards
Madsen
JA
J.A._Lively
Jun 20, 2004
I am new to PS-CS. I want to calibrate my monitor as advised in the color management section of the manual. I understand Adobe Gamma can be used but I cannot locate it. Going to control panel does not lead me to settings- adobe gamma. How can I get to it?
IL
Ian_Lyons
Jun 20, 2004
How can I get to it?

Adobe Gamma should have been installed with Photoshop and resides in the Control Panel. The following tutorial shows where it’s located if using Windows 2K or XP with the Classic interface.

<http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps8-colour/ps8_2.htm>

If you’re using the default XP interface then you’ll find Adobe Gamma listed under the heading "Other Control Panel Options".

Ian
L
LenHewitt
Jun 20, 2004
JA
J.A._Lively
Jun 20, 2004
Thank you, guys! It was there as Ian suggested. It seems strange that PS-CS keeps telling users to go to Adobe Gamma but really doesn’t tell us how to get there. Thanks again.
BB
brent_bertram
Jun 20, 2004

J.A. ,
Adobe really should emphazize Color Management setup more in the manual. None of it is at all obvious. They would do better to have Ian’s tutorial on the Adobe Gamma Utility as the first chapter of the manual.
<http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7-colour/ps7_2.htm>

πŸ™‚

Brent
LB
Laser_Breath
Jun 29, 2004
I realize this is not the correct forum for this question, but I couldn’t find the correct one. My photos in photoshop have to be very, very dark before they will print correctly on my laser printer.

In Apple’s system 9 Adobe had Adobe Gamma application that would let you customize your monitor with custom settings. (ie: Red; 0.230 Blue: 0.150 etc.). However this application will not work in classic, or cross over into system 10.

Does anyone know if Abode has an applicatin that performs the same function in system 10 (Panther)?
GP
Graham_Phillips
Jun 29, 2004
You should use the Displays preference pane and click on the Color tab. Then calibrate your display.
LB
Laser_Breath
Jun 29, 2004
Yes, I know that.

But that doesnt allow for manually inputing custom settings.

All that allows you to do is eyeball your screen contrast, etc.
R
Ram
Jun 29, 2004
Laser,

You don’t want "custom numbers" on a monitor profile. That’s what printer profiles are for.
LB
Laser_Breath
Jun 29, 2004
Yes, I do want custom numbers entered into my monitor profile.

They were given to me by ViewSonic. They work fine with Adobe Gama in system 9. they made my monitor the best its been in a year….. but the settings wont save over into system 10. or Panther
R
Ram
Jun 29, 2004
Laser,

Even if the Almighty had given me custom numbers (let alone ViewSonic!) I wouldn’t do that. πŸ™‚

But, if you insist, don’t despair. You can actually copy the monitor profile file you created in 9.x over to your OS X system. See if that works for you; it has worked for others.
B
Buko
Jun 29, 2004
Laser Breath,

I find it interesting that when given the correct answer you argue that its not.

If you know it all why bother comming here to ask in the first place.

use a fresh monitor profile from ViewSonic as a starting point.

now calibrate the profile and save with a new name.
LB
Laser_Breath
Jun 30, 2004
But, if you insist, don’t despair. You can actually copy the monitor profile file you created in 9.x over to your OS X system. See if that works for you; it has worked for others.

Thanks Ramon….

But how do I copy from system 9 over to OS10?

(trying to ignore this buko person)
B
Buko
Jun 30, 2004
Laser breath

you need to install the monitor profile for OSX for your ViewSonic. you need to get the profile from the ViewSonic website. I use ViewSonics for my palette monitors because the color is not that great.

But even if you use the standard monitor profile you still need to calibrate the monitor. From my experience your calibrated OS9 monitor profile will not be correct in OSX.

You are going to have to calibrate your monitor. Untill you accept this your color will always be wrong.

Why don’t you just do as you have been advised? Don’t you want your color to be correct? Maybe not.
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Jun 30, 2004
Buko,

What does the Viewsonic profile do to fleshtones in PS? Make them too saturated, a little magenta and/or dull/desaturated?

Just curious. Want to see if it resembles profile numbers given for my monitor.
R
Ram
Jun 30, 2004
Laser,

But how do I copy from system 9 over to OS10?

Option-drag it from your ColorSync folder inside your 9.x System Folder to OS X.

As I said, others say a profile copied from OS 9.x (or vice versa) has worked for them. I’ve never had any reason to try it, and I remain skeptical. I would do whatever it took to get a properly calibrated monitor.

You can ignore Buko, or me and anyone else, but Buko has given you excellent advice.
R
Ram
Jun 30, 2004
Tim,

I seriously doubt Buko is using a ViewSonic monitor profile. We’ll see.
B
Buko
Jun 30, 2004
The viewsonic profile actually looks like crap very blue looking with a 1.8 gamma. sRGB is much better and closer as a starting point to calibrate. I usually start with a profile that looks best and calibrate from there. I started with sRGB.

The ViewSonic is really a cheap monitor I can never get it to match my Mitubishi but thats OK its only a palette monitor.
R
Ram
Jun 30, 2004
Buko,

My second monitor is an old Apple 20" MultiScan Trinitron CRT, and I’m pretty happy with it as a palette monitor too. Funny thing is, I can’t get it to match the Artisan. πŸ˜€
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Jun 30, 2004
Ramon,

You have an Artisan? 8)

You must be in Heaven.

My Princeton EO90 made from the XYZ readouts off the DDC ROM chip in the Apple Calibrator has a 1.6 gamma and makes fleshtones look oversaturated with a slight maroonish/magenta cast. Setting it to sRGB profile that changes the display to 2.2 gamma and adjusting the RGB bias screws on the neck end of my monitor tube gives me spot on previews in PS.
R
Ram
Jun 30, 2004
Buko,

I bought the Artisan at an US Marshal’s auction of a bunch of stuff confiscated from criminal defendants convicted in the federal courts. It was used, though that was barely noticeable, but it was a great bargain; I just put in a sealed bid for about what I was planning to spend for a LaCie at the time and I was shocked when I got it.
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Jun 30, 2004
I wonder why a criminal defendant needed such a high end monitor. Hope he doesn’t go lookin’ for it when he gets out of the slammer. πŸ˜‰

Ramon, I guess you got it for less than $500. I ought to look into those kind of auctions.
R
Ram
Jun 30, 2004
Tim,

In my experience, confiscated computer equipment comes from convicted purveyors of kiddie porn. You are right about the price, it was substantially less than that figure. It came with a Windows box with no hard drives, which fits my theory, as those are stripped and kept as evidence in those cases. I looked at the prices of completed items like that on eBay and took that amount as a tax deduction when I donated the box to the Association for Retarded Citizens. That’s the charity to which my wife regularly donates unneeded stuff, it’s not like I personally picked them to make a statement about the Windoze box. So don’t anybody accuse me of being nasty this time.
BS
Beverly_Sampson
Jul 4, 2004
I had both Adobe 7.01 and Adobe CS installed on my Dell Inspiron 8500 notebook. I had also used Adobe Gamma to profile this system. Yesterday, I deleted Adobe 7.01 and now my Adobe Gamma profile is not listed in monitor profiles now does it the profile activate like it did to change monitor colors. I did a system restore to Saturday but that did not fix the problem. I cannot search prior to Saturday because unfortunately Dell had serviced the machine replacing the motherboard, processor, fan and keyboard. Nice Huh? Anyway, the Adobe Gamma was working fine after Dell repairs for a day or so until I delected Adobe 7.01.

I have done a system search and find files

Adobe Gamma Loader-EXE-2926B5EA.pf Adobe Gamma Loader (C"\Windows\Prefetch)

Adobe Gamma Loader (c:\program files\common files\adobe\calibration)

Adobe Gamma ReadME (c:\program files\common files\adobe\calibration)

Adobe Gamma (c:\program files\common files\adobe\calibration)

Also, with just Photoshop CS loaded the Adobe Gamma icon no longer appears in "control panel". This is the case on my desktop and my Inspiron 8500.

I am not a computer geek but do need that Adobe Gamma profile to be able to work in Photoshop CS on the Inspiron 8500. If I click on the "Adobe Gamma Loader" which appears in the search list, the profile will execute.
However, it does not execute at startup like it used to. It also does not appear in "Monitor profiles".

I sure would appreciate any help you can give. Should I reload Photoshop 7.01 which I really can’t do since my CD is for 7.0 and I don’t know if the patch to 7.01 is still available.

Bev
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 4, 2004
reload cs. that’ll reload adobe gamma.
BS
Beverly_Sampson
Jul 4, 2004
Thanks Dave. I have found the Adobe Gamma Loader file which I placed on my desktop. After the system has booted, I can click on the Adobe Gamma loader and it will change colors to the Adobe Gamma profile which I created some months ago.

How can I get that Adobe Loader Icon into the startup folder and into the monitor profiles so that it will startup when the computer boots like it did before?

Not being real computer savy, I am afraid if I reload CS it might somehow over-right the Adobe Gamma profile which on this notebook, I desperately need. Without it colors are adnormally blue.

Bev
L
LenHewitt
Jul 4, 2004
Bev,

Open windows explorer, select C:\ documents and settings\All Users\Programs\startup and drag the AdobeGamma Loader from your desktop to that folder.
BS
Beverly_Sampson
Jul 4, 2004
Len, thank you. Like I said, I am not a whole lot computer savy. So, I followed the settings you provided and my system displays,
c:\documents and settings\all users\start menu\programs\start menu

When opening start menu these files appear, Programs (a folder) and the following icons, Burn CD & DVD with Roxio, New Office Document, Set Program Access and defaults, Windows update, America Online 8.0, Launch Real One Player, etc.

If in the start menu, I open the folder programs, there a lot of folders, Accessories, Administrative tools, Abobe, America Online, ArcSoft PhotoImpressions, Canon PhotoRecord, Canon Utilities, on and on. Opening the Above folder shows Adobe Download Manager.

Or I can go c:\documents and settings\my name\start menu\programs\ folders at this level are accessories, Qimage, Internet Explorer, and another "startup folder"

What if I went through Adobe Gamma again, changed nothing but let it send the profile to the correct folders.

Bev
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 5, 2004
or you could have reloaded cs when i first suggested it and be done by now. πŸ™‚
L
LenHewitt
Jul 5, 2004
Bev,

If in the start menu, I open the folder programs, there a lot of folders,
<<

One of which should be called ‘Startup’

So just drag the desktop icon you have for AdobeGamm Loader into that startup folder
BS
Beverly_Sampson
Jul 5, 2004
A big thank you to Len and Dave.

For now, I used the path c:\documents and settings\all users\start menu\programs\startup\ copied adobe gamma loader from desktop and pasted here. Shutdown and booted up. Adobe Gamma loaded and set the correct colors on the notebook LCD. I will attempt to reinstall PS CS another day after I copy Adobe Gamma loader to disc just in case.

Thank you. again. Some say Adobe Gamma does not work on LCD. For me it has worked just fine and I was able to match the colors to my LCD desktop monitor. I just wish I would not get so nervous when I do this stuff.

Bev
L
LenHewitt
Jul 6, 2004
Pleased to hear you have it sorted, Bev
RK
Ronald_Keller
Aug 20, 2004
I was asked to give a course on Photoshop Elements. To prepare my lessons I installed Elements. (if it should matter; my CS is an English version while Elements is a Dutch version). Elements replaced my existing CS Adobe Gamma.
Now I am wondering: does this matter and should I reinstall CS to regain my original Gamma or are they both the same?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Ronald
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 20, 2004
You know, that’s the one gripe I have about most programs – intelligent installations. I always felt that install routines should be written to include important stuff like "uhm, you have another version of this and we’re about to overwrite it. Do you want to back up the old file, overwrite the old file, or use the one you have."

I know that’s not an easy requirement for many programs, but it still honks me off.
RK
Ronald_Keller
Aug 21, 2004
Exactly my feelings too

Ronald
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 21, 2004
Still doesn’t answer your question though…
JH
Jake_Hannam
Aug 21, 2004
Ronald,

It should not make a difference. Adobe Gamma is by Adobe so there may be no difference at all. Adobe Gamma allows you to adjust and fine tune your monitor settings. It does not affect either Photoshop or Elements. The worst thing that could happen is you might not have the latest version of Adobe Gamma.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 21, 2004
Jake,

The worst thing that could happen is you might not have the latest version of Adobe Gamma.

I think that’s what he’s asking – does he need to add the one from his CS installation? How would one know?

Peace,
Tony
JH
Jake_Hannam
Aug 21, 2004
Tony.

That’s my point. I don’t think AG changes much or else Adobe would post updates on their downloads page. I’ve never noticed any difference, have you?
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 21, 2004
Jake,

I don’t know – I have never installed Elements. I don’t know if AG has changed at all since version 5.5, my first PS version. If it hasn’t, I would be surprised, but then again, maybe it fit the bill so well, that there’s no need for evolution.

If one *really* wanted to find out if there is a difference between the two, you could find the appropriate file on each install disk (extracted) and do a bit by bit comparison. You could also try to determine if there’s a difference empirically I suppose.

It’s probably easier just to ask here in the forum though. I don’t think anybody really knows, except folks from Adobe.

<shrug> I was just trying to clarify, on Rob’s behalf, that the question is "Is there a difference?"

Peace,
Tony
RK
Ronald_Keller
Aug 22, 2004
Thank you both for trying to answer my question.
One last question if I may: my File version = 3.3.0.0 and the Buildversion = 1.25991. Could you please check if this is the same on your computer?

Thanks again,

Ronald
JH
Jake_Hannam
Aug 22, 2004
Ronald,

That’s the same version I have. Dated 24 August 2000. And Photoshop CS was the last Adobe app I installed (I’m pretty sure).

By the way, I know we got a little side-tracked but did we answer your question? If not, we’ll try again.

Jake
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 22, 2004
File version = 3.3.0.0 and the Buildversion = 1.25991

Same on mine too. PS7.01
RK
Ronald_Keller
Aug 23, 2004
Perfect.
Thank you all for your help. Much appreciated.

Ronald
F
Frank
Sep 9, 2004
I have purchased a colorvision syder and photocal. Since I no longer need Adobe gammma how do I un-install it as it doesn’t appear in the Add/Remove programs list (Win98SE)?
MR
Mike Russell
Sep 9, 2004
Frank wrote:
I have purchased a colorvision syder and photocal. Since I no longer need Adobe gammma how do I un-install it as it doesn’t appear in the Add/Remove programs list (Win98SE)?

Actually, don’t uninstall it, just take it out Start>Programs>Startup. Then run the Adobe Gamma control panel and point it at your photocal profile so that Photoshop will use that profile as your monitor profile. Do not perform any of the additional procedure that the Gamma profile provides, since this will trash the spyder’s profile.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net
F
Frank
Sep 9, 2004

Actually, don’t uninstall it, just take it out Start>Programs>Startup.
Then
run the Adobe Gamma control panel and point it at your photocal profile so that Photoshop will use that profile as your monitor profile. Do not perform any of the additional procedure that the Gamma profile provides, since this will trash the spyder’s profile.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net
Mike
Thanks.
I took it out of the startup.
Do you mean that I launch the adobe gamma step-by-step wizard in the control panel and just ensure that the name of the photocal profile is the one listed in the ‘description’ box and then cancel out of the program? It seems that to continue with the steps would be counterproductive to the photocal caibrating/profiling?
M
Madsen
Sep 9, 2004
Frank wrote:

Do you mean that I launch the adobe gamma step-by-step wizard in the control panel and just ensure that the name of the photocal profile is the one listed in the ‘description’ box and then cancel out of the program?

If you see the PhotoCAL profile as the default one inside Control Panel > Display > Settings > Advanced > Color Management, you can be pretty sure that Photoshop uses your PhotoCAL profile too.

You can check which monitor profile Photoshop uses by going into Edit > Color Management inside Photoshop and look for ‘Monitor RGB’ in the RGB working space list. If you see ‘Monitor RGB – Name of PhotoCAL profile’, all is okay.

(I’m not saying that you should use your monitor profile as your working space. Just check the name after Monitor RGB in the list).

Regards
Madsen
MR
Mike Russell
Sep 9, 2004
Frank wrote:

Actually, don’t uninstall it, just take it out
Start>Programs>Startup. Then run the Adobe Gamma control panel and point it at your photocal profile so that Photoshop will use that profile as your monitor profile. Do not perform any of the additional procedure that the Gamma profile provides, since this will trash the spyder’s profile. —
Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net
Mike
Thanks.
I took it out of the startup.
Do you mean that I launch the adobe gamma step-by-step wizard in the control panel and just ensure that the name of the photocal profile is the one listed in the ‘description’ box and then cancel out of the program? It seems that to continue with the steps would be counterproductive to the photocal caibrating/profiling?

Exactly. All you want to do is give adobe gamma the name of the profile so that Photoshop will use it.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net
F
Frank
Sep 9, 2004
Thanks guys – while we’re on the subject I’d like to ask about the calibration itself.

The colours look good and compared to some lab prints I had made they seem correct. But the contrast/brightness doesn’t – the highlights are a touch ‘burnt out’ and the shadows aren’t quite black enough on screen compared to the prints. This is set by ‘eye’ with 4 grey to black patches in photocal – how do you gauge these? I mean it’s subjective at what point you can ‘just distinguish’ between them? And what kind of ambient light is in the room – do you use your normal conditions or do you darken the room?

xx
Frank wrote:

Do you mean that I launch the adobe gamma step-by-step wizard in the control panel and just ensure that the name of the photocal profile is the one listed in the ‘description’ box and then cancel out of the program?

If you see the PhotoCAL profile as the default one inside Control Panel > Display > Settings > Advanced > Color Management, you can be pretty sure that Photoshop uses your PhotoCAL profile too.
You can check which monitor profile Photoshop uses by going into Edit > Color Management inside Photoshop and look for ‘Monitor RGB’ in the RGB working space list. If you see ‘Monitor RGB – Name of PhotoCAL profile’, all is okay.

(I’m not saying that you should use your monitor profile as your working space. Just check the name after Monitor RGB in the list).

Regards
Madsen
J
Jim
Sep 9, 2004
"Frank" wrote in message
Just don’t use it. Adobe Gamma Loader is the program that should be disabled if the colorvision manual tells you to.
Jim
M
Madsen
Sep 10, 2004
Frank wrote:

The colours look good and compared to some lab prints I had made they seem correct. But the contrast/brightness doesn’t – the highlights are a touch ‘burnt out’ and the shadows aren’t quite black enough on screen compared to the prints.

Well, monitor calibration (and profiling) is only the first step towards a color managed workflow. You’ll also need accurate media profiles for your printer and it’s also important how you use those media profiles.

See the following page for details:
< http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7_print/ps7_print_mac.htm>.

This is set by ‘eye’ with 4 grey to black patches in photocal – how do you gauge these?

I’m not familiar with PhotoCAL. I use OptiCAL and it has a ‘Precise’ setting where no "eye ball guessing" is needed.

I mean it’s subjective at what point you can ‘just distinguish’ between them?

It depends on the quality of the monitor but also the precision of the calibration, I guess.

And what kind of ambient light is in the room – do you use your normal conditions or do you darken the room?

I darken the room when I calibrate the monitor with OptiCAL but when the calibration is done, I turn on the room lights which are far to yellow in my case. I ought to go out and buy light bulbs that are closer to daylight temperature, because the monitor seems to have a bluish cast even though it’s calibrated to around 6000K. I blame the yellow ambient light for that.

If I bought light bulbs with a temperature around 6500-7000K, my monitor would probably seem yellowish so the room temperature is important too. I can manage though but it could be a lot better.

Regards
Madsen
F
Frank
Sep 10, 2004
I think I need to get a copy of OptiCal too

Frank wrote:

The colours look good and compared to some lab prints I had made they seem correct. But the contrast/brightness doesn’t – the highlights are a touch ‘burnt out’ and the shadows aren’t quite black enough on screen compared to the prints.

Well, monitor calibration (and profiling) is only the first step towards a color managed workflow. You’ll also need accurate media profiles for your printer and it’s also important how you use those media profiles.

See the following page for details:
< http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7_print/ps7_print_mac.htm>.
This is set by ‘eye’ with 4 grey to black patches in photocal – how do you gauge these?

I’m not familiar with PhotoCAL. I use OptiCAL and it has a ‘Precise’ setting where no "eye ball guessing" is needed.

It depends on the quality of the monitor but also the precision of the calibration, I guess.

And what kind of ambient light is in the room – do you use your normal conditions or do you darken the room?

I darken the room when I calibrate the monitor with OptiCAL but when the calibration is done, I turn on the room lights which are far to yellow in my case. I ought to go out and buy light bulbs that are closer to daylight temperature, because the monitor seems to have a bluish cast even though it’s calibrated to around 6000K. I blame the yellow ambient light for that.
If I bought light bulbs with a temperature around 6500-7000K, my monitor would probably seem yellowish so the room temperature is important too. I can manage though but it could be a lot better.

Regards
Madsen
M
Madsen
Sep 10, 2004
Frank wrote:

That’s up to you to decide. πŸ™‚

I can recommend a look at:
<http://www.computer-darkroom.com/photocal/photocal_1.htm>.

Regards
Madsen
M
Madsen
Sep 10, 2004
Thomas G. Madsen wrote:

Frank wrote:

I thought you meant how many discreet levels of gray one should be able to distinguish in Photoshop for instance, after the calibration is done. After seeing the screenshot of PhotoCAL on computer-darkroom.com(*), I can see that I misunderstood you at first. Sorry about that.

(*) <http://www.computer-darkroom.com/photocal/pcal-3a.gif>

Regards
Madsen
F
Frank
Sep 10, 2004
thanks I’m on it

xx
Frank wrote:

That’s up to you to decide. πŸ™‚

I can recommend a look at:
<http://www.computer-darkroom.com/photocal/photocal_1.htm>.

Regards
Madsen
H
Hecate
Sep 11, 2004
On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 21:15:45 -0400, "Frank"
wrote:

Before you spend money take a look at Gretag Macbeth EyeOne.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
W
wagi
Sep 15, 2004
Question:

How does one turn off the adobe gamma monitor setting to return to regular monitor settings?
MR
Mike Russell
Sep 15, 2004
wagi wrote:
Question:

How does one turn off the adobe gamma monitor setting to return to regular monitor settings?

Assuming you’re on windows, remove Adobe Gamma Loader from the Start>Programs>Startup folder and reboot.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net
W
wagi
Sep 15, 2004
Thank you for your reply. However, adobe gamma does not appear anywhere on my start menu. I am using windows 98

Mike Russell wrote:
wagi wrote:

Question:

Assuming you’re on windows, remove Adobe Gamma Loader from the Start>Programs>Startup folder and reboot.
TT
Tom Thomas
Sep 15, 2004
wagi wrote:

Thank you for your reply. However, adobe gamma does not appear anywhere on my start menu. I am using windows 98

He didn’t say your Start menu. He said your Startup folder. It’s a sub-folder under the Start folder. I’m trying to remember (it’s been a long time since I’ve seen Windows 98) … I think it would typically be C:\windows\start\programs\startup. Somewhere thereabouts. ——————————-
Tom

Unsolicited advertisements cheerfully ignored.
I
Ian
Sep 15, 2004
"wagi" wrote in message

Start > Run > Type in MSCONFIG > go to the Startup tab uncheck Adobe Gamma Loader click Ok and you’ll be prompted to reboot.

HTH
Ian
DH
Don Hamilton
Nov 13, 2004
I used Adobe Gamma and have my monitor way to dark. I cannot seem to find the profile to get back normal. I am currently using software that came with my video card to lighten the screen and balance the colors which works but Windows media player is still way to dark since it does not use the NVIDIA software. All advice will be greatly accepted. Thanks Don
S
Stephan
Nov 13, 2004
Don Hamilton wrote:
I used Adobe Gamma and have my monitor way to dark. I cannot seem to find the profile to get back normal. I am currently using software that came with my video card to lighten the screen and balance the colors which works but Windows media player is still way to dark since it does not use the NVIDIA software. All advice will be greatly accepted. Thanks Don
Why don’t you try Adobe Gamma again?
Use it with just a bit of ambient light and create your profile again. If nothing works just use the settings on your monitor to crank up the luminosity instead of fiddling around with your video card
DH
Don Hamilton
Nov 13, 2004
"Stephan" wrote in message
Don Hamilton wrote:
Why don’t you try Adobe Gamma again?
Use it with just a bit of ambient light and create your profile again. If nothing works just use the settings on your monitor to crank up the luminosity instead of fiddling around with your video card

I have the monitor cranked as bright as it will go the same with contrast. Thanks for the reply
S
Stephan
Nov 14, 2004
Don Hamilton wrote:

I have the monitor cranked as bright as it will go the same with contrast. Thanks for the reply

Is your video card software competing with Adobe Gamma at start up maybe? Have you tried preventing NVIDIA from launching at start up? Have you tried disabling NVIDIA in the task manager?

Stephan
DH
Don Hamilton
Nov 14, 2004
"Stephan" wrote in message
Don Hamilton wrote:

Is your video card software competing with Adobe Gamma at start up maybe? Have you tried preventing NVIDIA from launching at start up? Have you tried disabling NVIDIA in the task manager?

Stephan
Thanks for the help that worked great!!
S
Stephan
Nov 15, 2004
Don Hamilton wrote:

Thanks for the help that worked great!!
Good for you and I am glad I could help

Stephan
CC
Carlos C
Jan 11, 2005
I installed PS CS and can not see where the Adobe Gamma option is. I go to Control Panel as indicated in the manual, but I do not see it listed at all. I would like to calibrate my monitor but can not since I can not find it. Please help

Thanks

Carlos C.
NW
No Where Man
Jan 12, 2005
Which OS are you using?

If it’s WinXP, choose "Other Control Panel Options".
D
Daniel
Jan 14, 2005
Carlos C a Γ©crit :
I installed PS CS and can not see where the Adobe Gamma option is. I go to Control Panel as indicated in the manual, but I do not see it listed at all. I would like to calibrate my monitor but can not since I can not find it. Please help

Thanks

Carlos C.
Hi,

Search "Gamma" thru your system disk, the system will locate the "Adobe gamma loader.exe" file for you.

Regards.

Daniel.
HF
Hays_Fisher
Oct 7, 2005
I had to replace my computer and of course re-install PS CS2. I am now looking for Adobe Gamma which was in the Control Panel. Now I am unable to find it. Any ideas?
L
LenHewitt
Oct 7, 2005
Do a search for Adobe Gamma.cpl Double-clicking it will put it in C/Panel, or right-click and select Open With Control Panel, or copy to Windows\system32

You should find it in c:\Program Files\Common Files Adobe\Calibration
HF
Hays_Fisher
Oct 7, 2005
Thanks much.

Hays
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 8, 2005
and i think you need to be using windows classinc (not xp skinned) mode to see it. and maybe also be logged in as a local administrator…
M
mjsaba
Jul 18, 2006
I am using XP sp2 with CS2. I have the adobe gamma icon in my control panel. When
I dble click on it it opens up and giudes me through the process. Once I get to the 3 gamma boxes (red, green, blue) nothing happens when I move the sliders. I am under the understanding that AG Loader.exe is what controls these sliders. In searching for Loader I found it in Program Files/Common Files/ Adobe/Calibration. I then went to Document

and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs/Startup. Loader was not in the startup file. In researching this I have become confused as to where Loader should reside. Should it be in only one place? and should that place be in the last path I mentioned? If I need to move it can I just copy and past? Thank very much for any assistance you can provide
B
bmoag
Jul 19, 2006
Actually you should forget about Gamma and get a device to calibrate your monitor.
J
Jim
Jul 19, 2006
wrote in message
I am using XP sp2 with CS2. I have the adobe gamma icon in my control panel. When
I dble click on it it opens up and giudes me through the process. Once I get to the 3 gamma boxes (red, green, blue) nothing happens when I move the sliders. I am under the understanding that AG Loader.exe is what controls these sliders. In searching for Loader I found it in Program Files/Common Files/ Adobe/Calibration. I then went to Document
and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs/Startup. Loader was not in the startup file. In researching this I have become confused as to where Loader should reside. Should it be in only one place? and should that place be in the last path I mentioned? If I need to move it can I just copy and past? Thank very much for any assistance you can provide
No, Adobe Gamma Loader only runs at startup. It loads the profile that you create with Adobe Gamma.

As bmoag said, however, you should forget about Adobe Gamma and use one of the many fine programs which do much the same only better.

By the way, Adobe Gamma should only be used to calibrate CRT monitors. This is another reason for not spending much time getting Adobe Gamma to work. Jim
EC
Edwin_Crutcher
Nov 13, 2006
I’m trying to calibrate my Sony Monitor using Monaco Optix which is connected to my Power Mac. G5. The instructions say to disable Adobe Gamma. I can’t find Adobe Gamma on my Mac. I opened Photoshop and looked around but to no avail. Where can I go to disable Adobe Gamma?
CS
Carl_Stawicki
Nov 13, 2006
Adobe Gamma isn’t for the Mac anymore because the capabilities are built into the OS (look to the Display Preferences). In other words, you don’t need to worry about it.
EC
Edwin_Crutcher
Nov 13, 2006
Greta! Thanks for the prompt reply…
MJ
Marci_Jenkins
Nov 20, 2006
I’m creating a digital slideshow to be shown on my Mac Powerbook G4 with a HP LCD. When I did a test run the photos are showing very dark. I’m adjusting the Gamma on my Mac and on the LCD. Is there anything else I
can or should do?
Thanks.
Marci Jenkins
R
Ram
Nov 20, 2006
Marci,

This has nothing to do with the title of the thread. Next time, feel free to start a new topic for your questions if you can’t find a suitable existent thread.

You need to understand color management. It’s a very broad subject, but here is an excellent start:

<http://www.gballard.net/nca.html>
R
Ram
Nov 20, 2006
Also, when you post asking for help, always give details about your setup, exact version of Photoshop and of the OS you are using, etc.

Click here <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?50@@.2cd06cd9> for advice on how to ask your question correctly for quicker answers. Thanks!
PG
Pat_Gilmour
Nov 21, 2006
Are the images dark on both the screens or just the HP LCD?
LB
larry_brubeck
Jan 21, 2007
am using CS2, I tried to scan some photos for a friend using a Canon 1240u flat bed scanner, its not top of the line but small and compact forlight work. When they scan into Adobe the background color seems to be lighter,example ,dark cloudy purple,to light cloudy purple, The picture seems ok,When i print I get the light colored background, My ??? is ,Do I have to redo my Adobe gamma setup or is it just a bad scanner that I might be using, This is do as a hobby,so the quality isnt a big issue,just need to know how to make my printing the same as picture I scan. Thanks.
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 21, 2007
recalibrate using adobe gamma in the control panel. it’s quick and you’ll have an immediate answer to your question. if it’s still not looking right, post back…

dave
JG
Jane_Goodall
Feb 14, 2007
Hi
I am using adobe gamma, the instructions are fine but there is no mention of the monitors gamma settings while doing the calibration. Adobe gamma mentions that monitor contrast should be set to max during your calibration, but what should the gamma be set to while following the ‘wizard’. AT the intial stage you adjust the monitor brightness to set the black point, should the monitor gamma be set to zero at this stage.

Why doesn’t any of the help pages mention this, have I missed something?

please email will be VERY much appreciated
Jane
BW
Bob_Walden
Oct 29, 2007
Using XP Pro. Probably wont mess with reloading CS2 and just buy a monitor calibrator. Thinking Spyder 2.
I
ID._Awe
Oct 30, 2007
I think that the gamma loader is in the goodies folder on the CS2 disc. If I remember correctly it can be loaded separately. Do a forum search.
PH
Peter_Ho
Sep 12, 2008
The little program ADOBE GAMMA that appears in the Control Panel of Windows after the installation of Photoshop CS2 has now disappeared from CS3.

For whatever reason it has not been included I do not know, but then I find this little colour management to adjust the screen to match colours has been of great importance to people like me – 4 Colour Offset Output on printing ink. This is because the program that comes with the graphic cards do not favour cmyk colours but more on rgb.

So I appeal to ADOBE – Bring back the adobe gamma in the next upgrade so that I do not have to install both CS2 AND CS3 to utilize Adobe Gamma.
DM
dave_milbut
Sep 12, 2008
I completely agree. this should probably be in the feature request area.
B
Buko
Sep 12, 2008
You should buy a colorimeter, eyeball calibrators are iffy at best. especially if you are doing 4 color process jobs.
DM
dave_milbut
Sep 12, 2008
that’s probably the best solution for the pro buko (and the OP sounds like one), but for the rest of us, adobe gamma was just fine. they package the app on a dvd. you’d think they’d be able to dump a little 1 meg utility on there, unless they have a deal with the hardware calibration companies to NOT ship adobe gamma.
PF
Peter_Figen
Sep 12, 2008
The "deal" is that Adobe Gamma was kinda okay with CRTs but completely falls apart with LCD screens, which are rapidly replacing everyone’s aging CRTs. I’m not sure what the big deal is about keeping older versions of Ps around if that’s what you need to do. As far as I’m concerned you don’t have to be a professional to warrant spending a couple hundred bucks, but if you are sending files to offset, you’re definitely more than just a hobbyist.
DM
dave_milbut
Sep 12, 2008
The "deal" is that Adobe Gamma was kinda okay with CRTs

I have a lacie iv electron blue 22" that i spent pretty good money on. i don’t plan on tossing it anytime soon. for the size of the files, i think they should include them, or at least wrap em in a downloadable package available in the downloads area.

. I’m not sure what the big deal is about keeping older versions of Ps around if that’s what you need to do.

I don’t have one, really. i have cs2 and cs3 on my system. but cs4 is coming out soon. how many should i realistically have to keep around? again, think of the size of the file we’re talking about!

but if you are sending files to offset, you’re definitely more than just a hobbyist.

agreed.

As far as I’m concerned you don’t have to be a professional to warrant spending a couple hundred bucks

but i just spent a couple hundred on ps itself! and … and… πŸ™‚
Sep 12, 2008
If you have paid so much in a good monitor and a professional tool like Photoshop CS3…

Is it so much to pay.. let’s say… about 90 USD extra for a Pantone Huey (the cheapest colorimetre)?
DM
dave_milbut
Sep 12, 2008
no, gus, but that’s not the point. of course i’m going to get no where with this argument, we’ve been over it so many times before. so i’ll bail.
Sep 12, 2008
Dave, you know what I mean: If the tool is so expensive and we have reached a point past the so-called eyeball calibration, shouldn’t we (I mean the socalled ‘pros’ or semipros) promote better practices?

To me asking for Adobe gamma sounds a bit like asking for the return of the corset.

A good feature request could be asking for the inclusion of a cheap colorimetre in the Photoshop price… or of a discount coupon to buy one.

Just a mad idea.
DM
dave_milbut
Sep 12, 2008
np. i understand.

or of a discount coupon to buy one.

that’s an idea, but again, besides the point. it’s such a small file why not include it or offer it for download? people obviously want it, because we keep seeing posts on it. unless there’s some back room deal we don’t know about. <shrug>
B
Buko
Sep 12, 2008
it’s such a small file why not include it or offer it for download?

from post #4

The "deal" is that Adobe Gamma was kinda okay with CRTs but completely falls apart with LCD screens
DM
dave_milbut
Sep 12, 2008
that’s not 100% either. i’m using it on my laptop and what i’ve got with adobe gamma is better than what i had uncalibrated.

what-evah!!!
B
Buko
Sep 12, 2008
better is not accurate.
DM
dave_milbut
Sep 12, 2008
never said it was. πŸ˜›
PF
Peter_Figen
Sep 13, 2008
Unfortunately, when technology changes, you sometimes have to spend money to keep up with it. While I would not waste my money on the least expensive calibrators available, I do consider the money for an EyeOne well worth it. It’s worth it in knowing that you’re calibrated and your files are right. It’s worth it in the savings you’ll see in fewer rounds of prints to get a good one or proofs if that’s your choice. Sure, you CAN use the old file on an LCD, but it really doesn’t work very well. I hate to say it, but when you’re in the imaging game at any level, you sometimes need to spend a few dollars (or a few thousand) in order to do things right.

Let’s see…

Radius PressView $2500
Barco Ref V $4500
3 Sony Artisans @ $1500
Praxisoft Profiler $2000
ProfileMaker $3000
Spectrolino T $6000
DTP-92 Calibrator $ 600

In the last ten years just a few of the items purchased in the quest for better and more predictable color. Admittedly I am a professional, but it just illustrates what you can spend if you’re so inclined. And notice that the best calibrator of years past – the DTP-92 – was over three times what a modern EyeOne goes for today. A couple hundred really isn’t much.
DM
dave_milbut
Sep 13, 2008
<nodding>
JJ
Jay Jhabrix
Sep 13, 2008
Have a Huey Pro… had CRT monitors, so no problem of sticking the probe on the glass. Have just bought TFT/LCDs and the screen is ‘soft’. So how do i do it?

Cheers,

JJ
Sep 13, 2008
Me no idea, sorry. I am the happy owner of a i1. Never looked back for A.Gamma ;P

You might like reading this page < http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/pantone_huey.html>
DH
David_H_Armitage
Mar 16, 2009
How do I disable Adobe Gamma in the start file? It pops up every time I turn my computer on. But, I purchased a Spyder 3 Pro calibration device and the instructions tell me I should disable Adobe Gamma otherwise the calibration I perform is ‘neutralized’ each time I turn the computer on. Thoughts? Advice?
DM
dave_milbut
Mar 17, 2009
delete the shortcut in the startup folder.
EM
Eugene_Malymeik
Mar 17, 2009
If you are using Win XP, click on start, then run. Then type in msconfig, click ok. The system config utility will pop up. Click on the start tab and scroll down till you see Adobe Gamma, uncheck the box, click ok. You will have to re-boot and then you will be ok from then on.
DM
dave_milbut
Mar 17, 2009
or you can just delete the shortcut from the startup folder… πŸ™‚
DH
David_H_Armitage
Mar 17, 2009
Got it! (Dave, I tried looking for the shortcut but I couldn’t find it in the startup folder (lots of other things but not that). So I tried Eugene’s suggestion and although my computer wasn’t happy with the change, it finally simmered down and the ‘ghost’ notification at start up is gone.) Thanks!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections