Windows 2000 and Gamma Utility Sliders : not working!

NK
Posted By
Neil_K_Miller
Nov 13, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have Windows 2000 SP2 and Adobe Photoshop 7 installed on my computer. My problem is that I cannot use the gamma utility. In the first part of the step-by-step set up there is a white box with a black square in it. I am told to adjust contrast all the way up and then adjust brightness until the black box is very dark but not black, but it always appears black to me. Is there supposed to be a lighter box inside the black box? The next step is to use the sliders, but they do absolutely nothing – they do not alter the screen settings at all. I reinstalled Photoshop 7 on another partition on my computer that uses Windows 98 as the OS, and here the sliders do work (but I have the same problem with the white/black box) so I guess the problem with the sliders is a conflict of some sort with Windows 2000. I have done some extensive webserches, but can find no-one else reporting a similar problem – please help me!
Regards,
Neil K Miller

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

KV
Klaas_Visser
Nov 13, 2003
For the first step (black box inside white box), yes there is a lighter box inside the black box. The idea is to set brightness so that the lighter box is just visible, but the dark box is as black as possible.

With the gamma sliders (either single or the RGB sliders) when moving the sliders completely from one extreme to the other, do you see any change at all – for example moving the red slider across to the right, you should see a strong reddish cast come up on the screen. If you are not seeing this at all, there could be some issue with your video card drivers. What sort of videocard do you have you checked for current drivers?
HD
hot_denim
Nov 13, 2003
I had same problem with S3 Virge 4MB DX video card (1997). But I found if the display was set to 8-bit / 256 colours the settings worked.

On a newer 3dfx Voodoo 3 video card (1999) which has this option as a feture within its OWN software as well….Gamma worked.

I believe it to be a feature of the video card….
L
LenHewitt
Nov 13, 2003
Neil,

Sounds like an incompatible video card (or possible, just needing updated drivers for it)
NK
Neil_K_Miller
Nov 14, 2003
Thanks for the help! I have just managed to get an updated driver for my video card (Prophet 3D GTS II) – wow, is the Hercules driver site flakey! I’ll report back and let you know if it has cured the problem.
Thanks again,
Neil.
NK
Neil_K_Miller
Nov 14, 2003
Thanks so much, guys – the updated driver solved the problem! Best Wishes,
Neil.
L
LenHewitt
Nov 15, 2003
Good to hear that fixed it, Neil

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections