C
Posted By
Chalky
Apr 13, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Apologies if this has been covered to death but the problem is driving me nuts. I actually asked this question before and got what I thought at the time was a decent set of instruction – then I lost the file!

I changed my monitor to a 17" TFT one by Philips – the colours I see in my pictures in any other application are what I would say, spot on. However when I open in Photoshop, the colours are pale and the pictures too bright – open the same picture in a viewer e.g. VuePrint Pro and they are excellent.

How can I get Photoshop to show me the same colours/contrasts that are apparently there in the picture to begin with?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MR
Mike Russell
Apr 13, 2005
Chalky wrote:
Apologies if this has been covered to death but the problem is driving me nuts. I actually asked this question before and got what I thought at the time was a decent set of instruction – then I lost the file!

I changed my monitor to a 17" TFT one by Philips – the colours I see in my pictures in any other application are what I would say, spot on. However when I open in Photoshop, the colours are pale and the pictures too bright – open the same picture in a viewer e.g. VuePrint Pro and they are excellent.

How can I get Photoshop to show me the same colours/contrasts that are apparently there in the picture to begin with?

This is probably due to an incorrect profile embedded in the image, or assigned by Photoshop when you open the image. Experiment with assigning different profiles to the image.

It would help to know if you are running on a Mac or PC. —

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
C
Chalky
Apr 13, 2005
Hi Mike, I have tried assigning different profiles without any changes showing up when another other profile is selected – I am running a PC with Windows XP.

I have just chosen"View", "Proof settings", "Monitor RGB" which has helped a
bit although I don’t think It’s 100% yet.

"Mike Russell" wrote in message
Chalky wrote:

This is probably due to an incorrect profile embedded in the image, or assigned by Photoshop when you open the image. Experiment with assigning different profiles to the image.

It would help to know if you are running on a Mac or PC. —

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com

T
Tacit
Apr 13, 2005
In article <bi47e.812341$>,
"Chalky" wrote:

Your Photoshop color management settings are wrong.

A good place to start is to read the chapter on Color Management in your manual, which is included as a PDF with the PS CS installer CD.

If you simply wish to view pictures in Photoshop the same way other programs see them, you can either disable Photoshop’s color management, or you can use View->Proof Setup->Monitor RGB. However, understanding color management and properly calibrating your monitor is the better way to go.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
PH
PeeVee_Herman
Apr 13, 2005
On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 07:57:59 GMT, "Chalky"
wrote:

Are these "other programs" adobe programs, or are they programs that use the Windows native color settings to display color?

When i’m working in Photoshop on an image that I know will ultimately be viewed in a program like Word or powerpoint, or some kind of native windows jpg viewer, i always change my RGB photoshop color setting to Monitor RGB. This has made my images appear in photoshop, very close to anything viewed from Windows.

If you’ve tried this, and it doesnt work, I’m outta ideas for you. Sorry. It also sounds like maybe you’ve got an improper monitor ICC profile, loaded for either the monitor, or perhaps your "Monitor RGB" setting in photoshop, is looking at the wrong profile.

Good luck. Stuff like this drives me crazy too
C
Chalky
Apr 14, 2005
Thanks guys for your replies – I did already change to Monitor RGB which helps somewhat but I take on board your advice and will get my head down for some serious studying.

Thanks again!

"PeeVee_Herman" wrote in message
wrote:

I changed my monitor to a 17" TFT one by Philips – the colours I see in my pictures in any other application are what I would say, spot on. However when I open in Photoshop, the colours are pale and the pictures too bright –
open the same picture in a viewer e.g. VuePrint Pro and they are excellent.

Are these "other programs" adobe programs, or are they programs that use the Windows native color settings to display color?

When i’m working in Photoshop on an image that I know will ultimately be viewed in a program like Word or powerpoint, or some kind of native windows jpg viewer, i always change my RGB photoshop color setting to Monitor RGB. This has made my images appear in photoshop, very close to anything viewed from Windows.

If you’ve tried this, and it doesnt work, I’m outta ideas for you. Sorry. It also sounds like maybe you’ve got an improper monitor ICC profile, loaded for either the monitor, or perhaps your "Monitor RGB" setting in photoshop, is looking at the wrong profile.

C
Chalky
Apr 14, 2005
Meant to say – the other programmes are non Adobe ones.

"PeeVee_Herman" wrote in message
wrote:

I changed my monitor to a 17" TFT one by Philips – the colours I see in my pictures in any other application are what I would say, spot on. However when I open in Photoshop, the colours are pale and the pictures too bright –
open the same picture in a viewer e.g. VuePrint Pro and they are excellent.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections