Posted By
keith
Mar 29, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all

I am running Photoshop 4 on win XP with SP2 and installed. Photoshop is now giving me all shades of hell from freezing to fatal and a lot more besides.

Is there any history of this and if so where can I find the fixes? Also can anyone please tell me how to purge the scratch disk when the optiion is greyed out under EDIT.

TIA

Keith M (desperate)

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CF
Craig Flory
Mar 30, 2005
I had installed service pack 2 and deleted it. I had problems using ftp to send
digital images to my color lab. I’ve since read in the forum on Adobe that SP2
gives problems for Photoshop.Two computer shops in my town both told me SP2 is junk. So I deleted it & then did a restore and I once again could send
files to my lab. Delete it and use restore in XP to go back to before you installed
it and you should be ok.

Craig
H
Hecate
Mar 30, 2005
On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 23:07:04 +0100, "Keith.M"
wrote:

Hi all

I am running Photoshop 4 on win XP with SP2 and installed. Photoshop is now giving me all shades of hell from freezing to fatal and a lot more besides.

Is there any history of this and if so where can I find the fixes? Also can anyone please tell me how to purge the scratch disk when the optiion is greyed out under EDIT.

TIA

Keith M (desperate)
IIRC, way back in the 20th century, Adobe released a 4.01 update for PS 4. You may like to try installing that if it’s still on the Adobe web site…

Hecate – The Real One

Fashion: Buying things you don’t need, with money
you don’t have, to impress people you don’t like…
H
Hecate
Mar 30, 2005
On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:32:05 GMT, "Craig Flory" wrote:

gives problems for Photoshop.Two computer shops in my town both told me SP2 is junk. So I deleted it & then did a restore and I once again could send
files to my lab. Delete it and use restore in XP to go back to before you installed
it and you should be ok.
what the shops told you is rubbish. I know of no one with an *up to date* copy of PS that has problems with SP2. Of course, if you’re using old versions not designed for a modern OS that’s different.

Hecate – The Real One

B
Brian
Mar 31, 2005
Hecate wrote:
On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:32:05 GMT, "Craig Flory" wrote:

it and you should be ok.

what the shops told you is rubbish. I know of no one with an *up to date* copy of PS that has problems with SP2. Of course, if you’re using old versions not designed for a modern OS that’s different.

Hecate – The Real One

No problems at all with PS CS on my friend’s computer and she has XP SP2. My personal experiences are that my computer has actually performed better since I installed SP1 & SP2. I installed both at the same time, so I am not sure if one, the other, or both contributed to the better running of my machine.

Brian.
B
Brian
Mar 31, 2005
Hecate wrote:

IIRC, way back in the 20th century, Adobe released a 4.01 update for PS 4. You may like to try installing that if it’s still on the Adobe web site…

Hecate – The Real One

Now, now, be nice Hecate! Not everyone wants, or can afford the latest versions of an expensive programme like Photoshop. Anyone who knows what they are doing can achieve pretty well anything with PS4 anyway. It would just take a little longer (lot longer maybe?) to get there. Do you remember how much smaller the programme was back then (about 40mb from memory)? It would most likely run like the wind on a modern computer.

Brian.
HP
helmut.p.einfaltNOSPAM
Mar 31, 2005
Brian wrote:
IIRC, way back in the 20th century, Adobe released a 4.01 update
for
PS 4. You may like to try installing that if it’s still on the
Adobe
web site…

Anyone who knows
what they are doing can achieve pretty well anything with PS4
anyway.
It would just take a little longer (lot longer maybe?) to get there.

Agreed, *provided* that 4.xx does run flawlessly on a newer OS — and that’s what seems to be the main problem here. And I’d really go looking for the X.01 and similar updates because they usually fixed some bug or other that may or may not be the cause for trouble!

Helmut

All typos © My Knotty Fingers Ltd. Capacity Dept.
T
Tacit
Mar 31, 2005
In article <VDz2e.2251$>,
"Craig Flory" wrote:

digital images to my color lab.

It will cause FTP problems only if you do not correctly configure the built-in firewall. I use FTP with Windows XP SP2 all the time.

I’ve since read in the forum on Adobe that
SP2
files to my lab.

I hope to God you are connected to the Internet through a router or firewall, then. If not, the odds are about 90 percent that your computer, right now, is infected with at least one virus.

XP Service Pack 2 is absolutely essential to anyone who is connected to the Internet without a router or firewall and doesn’t want to constantly deal with infections from the latest virus or worm du jour.

Delete it and use restore in XP to go back to before you installed
it and you should be ok.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
H
Hecate
Mar 31, 2005
On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 19:35:27 +1000, Brian
wrote:

Hecate wrote:

Hecate – The Real One

Now, now, be nice Hecate! Not everyone wants, or can afford the latest versions of an expensive programme like Photoshop. Anyone who knows what they are doing can achieve pretty well anything with PS4 anyway. It would just take a little longer (lot longer maybe?) to get there. Do you remember how much smaller the programme was back then (about 40mb from memory)? It would most likely run like the wind on a modern computer.
That would be true only if the program would run correctly on a modern OS. If it doesn’t then it’s a false economy to not upgrade. Particularly as it costs a whole lot less to upgrade than buy it from scratch.

Hecate – The Real One

H
Hecate
Mar 31, 2005
On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 14:47:56 GMT, Tacit wrote:

In article <VDz2e.2251$>,
"Craig Flory" wrote:

digital images to my color lab.

It will cause FTP problems only if you do not correctly configure the built-in firewall. I use FTP with Windows XP SP2 all the time.

…. or try and run the built-in firewall along with a proper firewall. 🙂

I’ve since read in the forum on Adobe that
SP2
files to my lab.

I hope to God you are connected to the Internet through a router or firewall, then. If not, the odds are about 90 percent that your computer, right now, is infected with at least one virus.

….and that you got infected within five minutes of being online.

Hecate – The Real One

K
keith
Mar 31, 2005
Thanks Guys
Much info there to try.
I’m not too happy using my machine without SP2 though and a clean install of the OS + SP1 has improved life with PS
Thanks.
I also looked at the Adobe site for .01 upgrade – available in Spanish only. Apart from Sun, oranges and beautiful women what have they got that the rest uf us don’t have in order to be so well looked after?

PS4 does all that I want it to thanks.
Perhaps the latest is faster, better and all that but as I dont use it to earn my daily crust who cares, I’ve got better things to spend all that extra cash on. like a half decent digital camera.(when ‘er indoors isn’t looking)

How can I purge the scratch disc when it is greyed out under edit. Is there access through the OS?

Thanks all

Keith M

"Keith.M" wrote in message
Hi all

TIA

Keith M (desperate)

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections