H
Posted By
HalifaxPinball
Mar 29, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Well I’m visiting this old topic again looking for a nice solution in a box. I’m not an art professional. As a hobby I reproduce parts for old pinball machines. The absolute most difficult part of this process is the reproduction of the original artwork.

All original artwork is screen printed. It is almost always spot color. I produce playfields, which are 2′ by 4′ sheets of plywood with inlayed plastic lenses and artwork screened on top. I start with a scan of an original playfield and start tracing out the picture in a slow painfull process.

I would really love to find a photshop filter that analyses the image and separates the pixels into the correct colors, based on the histogram of likely spot colors found in the image and the color of the surounding pixels. The ideal product would be used to create color seps. It may be required to inhance the resolution of the image to minimize the bitmap look. I have actually put an entire playfield into Illustrator as a vector image. The look is stunning but the time it took was outrageous. I’m looking to create the same look with less time. I think if I can clean up the colors, then maybe I can get away with doing only the black layer in vector graphics.

There are some examples of this type of art found at
http://www.ballsofsteel.net/
These are smaller pieces. What I do is too large for viewing on the internet. In fact, my images aften crash the computer just from trying to open and manipulate the image.

Anyone who can help speed up the process of restoring this artwork is a hero in my book. The ideas and sugestions offered are valued and appreciated.

Greg Walker
HalifaxPinball
http://halifaxpinball.dyn.ca/ (site under construction)

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
PH
Mar 29, 2005
HalifaxPinball wrote:
Well I’m visiting this old topic again looking for a nice solution in a box. I’m not an art professional. As a hobby I reproduce parts for old pinball machines. The absolute most difficult part of this process is the reproduction of the original artwork.

All original artwork is screen printed. It is almost always spot color. I produce playfields, which are 2′ by 4′ sheets of plywood with inlayed plastic lenses and artwork screened on top. I start with a scan of an original playfield and start tracing out the picture in a slow painfull process.

I would really love to find a photshop filter that analyses the image and separates the pixels into the correct colors, based on the histogram of likely spot colors found in the image and the color of the surounding pixels. The ideal product would be used to create color seps. It may be required to inhance the resolution of the image to minimize the bitmap look. I have actually put an entire playfield into Illustrator as a vector image. The look is stunning but the time it took was outrageous. I’m looking to create the same look with less time. I think if I can clean up the colors, then maybe I can get away with doing only the black layer in vector graphics.

These are smaller pieces. What I do is too large for viewing on the internet. In fact, my images aften crash the computer just from trying to open and manipulate the image.

Anyone who can help speed up the process of restoring this artwork is a hero in my book. The ideas and sugestions offered are valued and appreciated.
Greg Walker
HalifaxPinball

I remember your post from……what……a year ago?

I love the artwork mr. Pinball. Maybe you should give this suggestion to Adobe. On the newsserver from Adobe you can do that. I must say the suggestion, if made real, would mean a revolution:) —
Peter
R
RSD99
Mar 29, 2005
There are several stand-alone programs that convert bit-mapped art into vector format. For starters, three commercial programs that are fairly widely available are

Adobe Streamline
Adobe Illustrator (trace capability)
Corel Trace

There are several others, including at least one Linux-based offering.

"HalifaxPinball" wrote in message
Well I’m visiting this old topic again looking for a nice solution in a
box.
I’m not an art professional. As a hobby I reproduce parts for old pinball machines. The absolute most difficult part of this process is the reproduction of the original artwork.

I would really love to find a photshop filter that analyses the image and separates the pixels into the correct colors, based on the histogram of likely spot colors found in the image and the color of the surounding pixels. The ideal product would be used to create color seps. It may be required to inhance the resolution of the image to minimize the bitmap
look.
I have actually put an entire playfield into Illustrator as a vector
image.
The look is stunning but the time it took was outrageous. I’m looking to create the same look with less time. I think if I can clean up the
colors,
then maybe I can get away with doing only the black layer in vector graphics.

Anyone who can help speed up the process of restoring this artwork is a
hero
in my book. The ideas and sugestions offered are valued and appreciated.
Greg Walker
HalifaxPinball
P
PH
Mar 29, 2005
RSD99 wrote:
There are several stand-alone programs that convert bit-mapped art into vector format. For starters, three commercial programs that are fairly widely available are

Adobe Streamline
Corel Trace

I thought (maybe I am wrong) the real desire of Halifax was this:

"I would really love to find a photshop filter that analyses the image and separates the pixels into the correct colors, based on the histogram of likely spot colors found in the image and the color of the surounding pixels. The ideal
product would be used to create color seps. It may be
required to inhance the resolution of the image to minimize the bitmap look."

For what vectorizing bit-maps (raster images) is
concerned…….I am really curious what Illustrator CS2 is going to bring, from what I heard it sounds good. Now can I spend the money on it……..

Peter
R
RSD99
Mar 29, 2005
You apparently missed the sentence following the one you quoted … where he posted

"… I have actually put an entire playfield into Illustrator as a vector image.
The look is stunning but the time it took was outrageous. I’m looking to create the same look with less time. …"

That’s what Adobe Streamline and CorelTrace were created to do.

"PH" wrote in message
RSD99 wrote:

Adobe Streamline
Corel Trace

I thought (maybe I am wrong) the real desire of Halifax was this:
"I would really love to find a photshop filter that analyses the image and separates the pixels into the correct colors, based on the histogram of likely spot colors found in the image and the color of the surounding pixels. The ideal
product would be used to create color seps. It may be
required to inhance the resolution of the image to minimize the bitmap look."

For what vectorizing bit-maps (raster images) is
concerned…….I am really curious what Illustrator CS2 is going to bring, from what I heard it sounds good. Now can I spend the money on it……..

Peter
P
PH
Mar 29, 2005
RSD99 wrote:
You apparently missed the sentence following the one you quoted … where he posted

"… I have actually put an entire playfield into Illustrator as a vector image.
The look is stunning but the time it took was outrageous. I’m looking to create the same look with less time. …"

That’s what Adobe Streamline and CorelTrace were created to do.

I know, and I have read it.
Again: CS2 promises to have a better trace tool, some call it an enhanced, built in Streamline.

Peter
H
HalifaxPinball
Mar 29, 2005
Thanks Peter,
As per your suggestion I have posted this to the Adobe forums. I can think in my mind how I would break down this problem. Perhaps I need to learn about programming filters and dealing with image manipulation myself. This type of artwork seems to go against traditional filters where we try to smooth edges and blend colors. The other half of my problems are dealing with these massive pictures…

Greg

"PH" wrote in message
HalifaxPinball wrote:
Well I’m visiting this old topic again looking for a nice solution in a box.
I’m not an art professional. As a hobby I reproduce parts for old pinball machines. The absolute most difficult part of this process is the reproduction of the original artwork.

I would really love to find a photshop filter that analyses the image and separates the pixels into the correct colors, based on the histogram of likely spot colors found in the image and the color of the surounding pixels. The ideal product would be used to create color seps. It may be required to inhance the resolution of the image to minimize the bitmap look.
I have actually put an entire playfield into Illustrator as a vector image.
The look is stunning but the time it took was outrageous. I’m looking to create the same look with less time. I think if I can clean up the colors,
then maybe I can get away with doing only the black layer in vector graphics.

Anyone who can help speed up the process of restoring this artwork is a hero
in my book. The ideas and sugestions offered are valued and appreciated.
Greg Walker
HalifaxPinball

I remember your post from……what……a year ago?

I love the artwork mr. Pinball. Maybe you should give this suggestion to Adobe. On the newsserver from Adobe you can do that. I must say the suggestion, if made real, would mean a revolution:) —
Peter
D
Dithers
Mar 30, 2005
To answer your original question there are a few sets of photoshop filters designed for screenprinting. spot process, easy art and fast films

my favorite is spot process
it will do exactly what you were asking for

Dug
T
Tacit
Mar 31, 2005
In article <Jlh2e.6700$>,
"HalifaxPinball" wrote:

I would really love to find a photshop filter that analyses the image and separates the pixels into the correct colors, based on the histogram of likely spot colors found in the image and the color of the surounding pixels.

There is a plugin called Photo-Spot that does this; it’s intended for separating an image for screen printing. It’s made by Second Glance Software. AFAIK, this plug-in is Mac only; no Windows version.

Then something is wrong with your computer. I have no crashing problems even when dealing with images over a gigabyte in size. How much memory and hard drive space do you have?

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections