TN
Posted By
Tom Nelson
Sep 4, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Have you ever tried opening a whole bunch of image files while they’re being copied from the image card or moved the the trash? You get an error dialog for each one, that the file "XXX" is in use and cannot be opened. You have to manually dismiss each dialog box — definitely a risk for repetitive stress injury.

Having just had it happen to me, I found I could press and hold the <return> key and OS X Leopard will click "OK" for me in super-fast time. You still have to work your way through dozens or hundreds of files, but it speeds the process.

Tom Nelson
Tom Nelson Photography

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AB
Alan Browne
Sep 5, 2009
Tom Nelson wrote:
Have you ever tried opening a whole bunch of image files while they’re being copied from the image card or moved the the trash? You get an error dialog for each one, that the file "XXX" is in use and cannot be opened. You have to manually dismiss each dialog box — definitely a risk for repetitive stress injury.

Having just had it happen to me, I found I could press and hold the <return> key and OS X Leopard will click "OK" for me in super-fast time. You still have to work your way through dozens or hundreds of files, but it speeds the process.

Doesn’t holding escape do the same thing?

This peculiarity of Mac OS X is that you can’t open a file that has been transferred until the whole selection has finished. I find this to be bizarre and unfriendly – esp. when transferring large file sets from a Mac or PC to the Mac.

However, if you transfer using a program like Adobe Bridge (and perhaps convert to DNG on the fly), then those files that have finished transferring are available for immediate opening while the rest of the files continue the transfer. This really counts when you have a 16 GB card filled to the brim. This includes opening a selection of images that have completed transfer, of course.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections