Posted By
Nicolas Hoch
Feb 7, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi everybody,

first, I look for a way to rotate my holiday pictures since some of them are vertical. Is there a way to do this in Photoshop CS without re-saving them and loosing some quality? There are several small programs on the internet that can do this, by just changing the JPEG code without recompression losses. Since everyone says "Photoshop can do everything", I guess it can do this.

Second, I would like to write a script for Photoshop CS that can identify whether a picture is vertically by dividing its width and height and then rotate it if necessary. Afterwards I would like to put this script in an "action" to be able to apply it to a whole directory. Anyone knows Javascript that well? Or has anyone ever written such a script?

Thank you very much!
Nico

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

S
Stephan
Feb 7, 2005
Nicolas Brentz wrote:
Hi everybody,

first, I look for a way to rotate my holiday pictures since some of them are vertical. Is there a way to do this in Photoshop CS without re-saving them and loosing some quality? There are several small programs on the internet that can do this, by just changing the JPEG code without recompression losses. Since everyone says "Photoshop can do everything", I guess it can do this.

Second, I would like to write a script for Photoshop CS that can identify whether a picture is vertically by dividing its width and height and then rotate it if necessary. Afterwards I would like to put this script in an "action" to be able to apply it to a whole directory. Anyone knows Javascript that well? Or has anyone ever written such a script?
Thank you very much!
Nico
1) Use the Irfanview batch function
2) No

Stephan
EG
Eric Gill
Feb 7, 2005
Stephan wrote in
news:akONd.10056$:

Nicolas Brentz wrote:
Hi everybody,

Thank you very much!
Nico

Use the PS Browser.

2) No

Almost certainly yes, but that person is not me. Try the Adobe site – the Creative Exchange and forums have of a lot of stuff of this nature.
S
Stephan
Feb 7, 2005
Eric Gill wrote:

Use the PS Browser.
I never use it, it is way to slow and clumsy
Irfan does a terrific job while I keep on working in PS

Stephan
NH
Nicolas Hoch
Feb 8, 2005
Use the PS Browser.

Are you sure that using the browser will not resave the picture and lose quality?
Thx,
Nico
L
Ludwig
Feb 8, 2005
"Nicolas Brentz" wrote in message
Hi everybody,

Thank you very much!
Nico

How would dividing width by height determine if your image was shot portrait or landscape? You would need some type of mercury switch in your camera that could flag or rotate the image in the camera if the camera was held in the vertical position when then the image was shot.
L
Ludwig
Feb 8, 2005
The PS browser just rotates the cached thumbnail.

Use the PS Browser.

Are you sure that using the browser will not resave the picture and lose quality?
Thx,
Nico
EG
Eric Gill
Feb 8, 2005
"Nicolas Brentz" wrote in news:36qe15F54ltdoU1 @individual.net:

Use the PS Browser.

Since it never opens the picture, how could it re-save it?
H
hobbacher
Feb 8, 2005
JPEGCROP does all. You can rotate and crop without re-compression of JPEG files and it is free.

AFH

###########################################################

Nicolas Brentz schrieb:

Hi everybody,

Thank you very much!
Nico
P
PH
Feb 8, 2005
Ludwig wrote:
Hi everybody,

Thank you very much!
Nico

How would dividing width by height determine if your image was shot portrait or landscape? You would need some type of mercury switch in your camera that could flag or rotate the image in the camera if the camera was held in the vertical position when then the image was shot.

Picture: 5×10
Landscape: 5/10 = 0.5
Portrait: 10/5 = 2

steg
L
Ludwig
Feb 8, 2005
"steggy" wrote in message
Ludwig wrote:
Hi everybody,

first, I look for a way to rotate my holiday pictures since some of them
are vertical. Is there a way to do this in Photoshop CS without re-saving
them and loosing some quality? There are several small programs on the internet that can do this, by just changing the JPEG code without recompression losses. Since everyone says "Photoshop can do everything", I
guess it can do this.

Second, I would like to write a script for Photoshop CS that can identify
whether a picture is vertically by dividing its width and height and then
rotate it if necessary. Afterwards I would like to put this script in an
"action" to be able to apply it to a whole directory. Anyone knows Javascript that well? Or has anyone ever written such a script?

Thank you very much!
Nico

How would dividing width by height determine if your image was shot portrait
or landscape? You would need some type of mercury switch in your camera that
could flag or rotate the image in the camera if the camera was held in the
vertical position when then the image was shot.

steg

Yes, but that’s after the original image has already been rotated. The OP want’s to automagically rotate his vertically shot holiday photos that are still in landscape orientation from the camera.
P
PH
Feb 8, 2005
Ludwig wrote:
"steggy" wrote in message
Ludwig wrote:
How would dividing width by height determine if your image was shot portrait
or landscape? You would need some type of mercury switch in your camera that
could flag or rotate the image in the camera if the camera was held in the
vertical position when then the image was shot.

steg

Yes, but that’s after the original image has already been rotated. The OP want’s to automagically rotate his vertically shot holiday photos that are still in landscape orientation from the camera.

Sorry I re read it and you are right!

I would say that will never happen in an automated way, except for your brilliant mercury idea hahaha, good one.

steg
S
SCRUFF
Feb 8, 2005
Too bad your cam doesn’t have an auto rotate option in it.

Hi everybody,

are
vertical. Is there a way to do this in Photoshop CS without re-saving them and loosing some quality? There are several small programs on the internet that can do this, by just changing the JPEG code without recompression losses. Since everyone says "Photoshop can do everything", I guess it can
do
this.

Second, I would like to write a script for Photoshop CS that can identify whether a picture is vertically by dividing its width and height and then rotate it if necessary. Afterwards I would like to put this script in an "action" to be able to apply it to a whole directory. Anyone knows Javascript that well? Or has anyone ever written such a
script?
Thank you very much!
Nico

S
SCRUFF
Feb 8, 2005
Here’s the link;
http://sylvana.net/jpegcrop/

"A.F. Hobbacher" wrote in message
JPEGCROP does all. You can rotate and crop without re-compression of JPEG
files
and it is free.

AFH

###########################################################
Nicolas Brentz schrieb:

Hi everybody,

are
vertical. Is there a way to do this in Photoshop CS without re-saving
them
and loosing some quality? There are several small programs on the
internet
that can do this, by just changing the JPEG code without recompression losses. Since everyone says "Photoshop can do everything", I guess it
can do
this.

Second, I would like to write a script for Photoshop CS that can
identify
whether a picture is vertically by dividing its width and height and
then
rotate it if necessary. Afterwards I would like to put this script in an "action" to be able to apply it to a whole directory. Anyone knows Javascript that well? Or has anyone ever written such a
script?
Thank you very much!
Nico
T
tubeguy
Feb 8, 2005
Hi everybody,

What about setting up an action to do it?

Go to Help>How to Customize and Automate>Automate a Task

Don’t know how that could be done, although FWIW my Canon EOS pics get rotated automatially when I load them into PS. Surprised me when it happened the first time.

Thank you very much!
Nico
NH
Nicolas Hoch
Feb 8, 2005
What about setting up an action to do it?
Go to Help>How to Customize and Automate>Automate a Task

I know how to set up an action pretty well, but how would you automate a task that photoshop can’t do at all? As far as I read from all the answers (thanks!) photoshop can’t rotate without resaving.
Nico
NH
Nicolas Hoch
Feb 8, 2005
Yes, but that’s after the original image has already been rotated.

Oops, I (OP) realize you that you’re right. You can only tell after the rotation has already been done…

So there is really no way to do that? That means ALL OF YOU GUYS rotate your holiday pictures manually one by one? For the 21st century that’s pretty poor..
NH
Nicolas Hoch
Feb 8, 2005
JPEGCROP does all. You can rotate and crop without re-compression of JPEG files
and it is free.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the JPEG format is more or less open. Meaning, that everyone knows how one could built such a lossless rotation feature.

So why would Adobe not implement that at least in the newer versions of Photoshop ??? Don’t tell me that you keep your portrait photos in landscape and slant your head in front of the screen to view the pictures!
S
SCRUFF
Feb 8, 2005
Dude, breathe!!

JPEGCROP does all. You can rotate and crop without re-compression of
JPEG
files
and it is free.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the JPEG format is more or less open.
Meaning,
that everyone knows how one could built such a lossless rotation feature.
So why would Adobe not implement that at least in the newer versions of Photoshop ??? Don’t tell me that you keep your portrait photos in
landscape
and slant your head in front of the screen to view the pictures!
NH
Nicolas Hoch
Feb 9, 2005
Okay, I breathed. And now?
P
PH
Feb 9, 2005
Nicolas Brentz wrote:

How do you expect a piece of software to do that?
Just the simple fact it has no clue whether to rotate CW or CCW should be enough to realize it cannot be done automatically. Unless someone develops a human eye for Photoshop.

steg
B
beu
Feb 9, 2005
In article ,
steggy wrote:
Nicolas Brentz wrote:

Just the simple fact it has no clue whether to rotate CW or CCW should be enough to realize it cannot be done automatically. Unless someone develops a human eye for Photoshop.

steg

The EXIF spec defines an Orientation Tag to indicate the orientation of the camera relative to the image. For details see: http://sylvana.net/jpegcrop/exif_orientation.html
I know the Canon 300D implements this specification but I have no idea how wide spread the support is across the marketplace. It must be quite common because Irfanview’s "JPG – Lossless transformations" implements an ‘Auto rotate’ function that rotates the image according to the EXIF orientation, if available.

If Irfanview can do it, so can other image editing programs.
NH
Nicolas Hoch
Feb 10, 2005

Stop, one moment please. I wasn’t talking about automatic orientation anymore, which no software can do. I was talking about why there is no function for lossless JPEG rotation like in IrfanView, Xnview or others. Just a function like the one offered in JPEGCrop. From all that I’ve read from the answers to this thread, PS simply doesn’t offer a function for this (in my opinion) standard task. Everyone who deals with digital holiday pictures will have to use another software just for rotation? Why does Adobe not implement that?
Nico
T
tubeguy
Feb 10, 2005

Stop, one moment please. I wasn’t talking about automatic orientation anymore, which no software can do. I was talking about why there is no function for lossless JPEG rotation like in IrfanView, Xnview or others. Just a function like the one offered in JPEGCrop. From all that I’ve read from the answers to this thread, PS simply doesn’t offer a function for this (in my opinion) standard task. Everyone who deals with digital holiday pictures will have to use another software just for rotation? Why does Adobe not implement that?
Nico

I guess I don’t know as much as I thought about PS, but for something like holiday pics, how much quality do you need? Are you making 11×14’s of them? I can’t believe that PS would lose *that* much quality just rotating something. If it’s for an album or something like that, with 4×6’s or 5×7’s you would never know the difference, and if they will be for online viewing, well, you only need about 1/10th the resolution anyway.
H
Hecate
Feb 10, 2005
On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 01:56:00 +0100, "Nicolas Brentz" wrote:

Nico
Because Photoshop isn’t aimed at people who want to rotate their holiday pics, or their Christmas tree pics or anything else that you would consider to be a consumer feature.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
P
PH
Feb 10, 2005
Nicolas Brentz wrote:

Nico

DUH!
Every piece of software its own Nico. I do not think developers of Photoshop have that feature high on their list of priorities. —
steg
S
SCRUFF
Feb 15, 2005
"Hecate" wrote in message
Because Photoshop isn’t aimed at people who want to rotate their holiday pics, or their Christmas tree pics or anything else that you would consider to be a consumer feature.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui

What? you mean people are spending hundreds of dollars for this program only to find out it can’t rotate losslessy?
They should demand a refund!!
H
Hecate
Feb 16, 2005
On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 15:08:35 -0500, "Scruff" wrote:

"Hecate" wrote in message

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui

What? you mean people are spending hundreds of dollars for this program only to find out it can’t rotate losslessy?
They should demand a refund!!
LOL!

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections