H
Posted By
HPB
May 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using Windows XP and PScs and am having problems when printing my image. The color side is fine but the prints are either not centered on 5X7 paper and on the 8.5X11 the page will print only on the bottom about an inch or so and then wants to go to the next page. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

HPB

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MM
Mike_Morrell
May 1, 2004
Make sure you are using File>Print With Preview.

From there you can go into Page Setup and make sure that you paper size settings and portrait settings are correct. Back to the first screen and you will see a "position" dialog where you can choose to automatically center the image or adjust the position manually.

If you have correct color, then you are really doing well. The color profiles for the R800 are very good. So if you are already using them, do are doing well.

Another thing to make sure is that you have your resolution, ppi, set correctly before you start the printing process.
H
HPB
May 2, 2004
Could you be more specific about the PPI issue?

Thanks,

Hank
H
HPB
May 2, 2004
I am still having problems with the final printing of my images. When I print on a media of, let’s say, 8.5 X 11 size I get about an inch or so of printing at the bottom of the page and then if ejects the photo paper and wants to print on the next page. I can’t tell you how costly this has been in terms of paper and ink.

You may be on to something about the PPI issue. How do you set up for Color Management? It might be good to have discussion about that as well.

Thank you for your response,

Hank
MM
Mike_Morrell
May 3, 2004
PPI is "pixels per inch" this is how your image’s resolution is measured, not to be confused with how printers measure how they spray ink on paper, DPI or dots per inch.

To prepare you image for printing and set the appropriate PPI go to Image>Image Size

In the Image Size dialog box, make sure that "resample image" is NOT checked. At the top, you will see the pixel width and height shown and as long as the "resample" box is not checked, you will not be able to change this and in most cases you do not want to.

Under "Document Size", this is where you want to set the size of your print. Change either the height or the width and the other will change. I usually make sure that the "inches" scale is selected for each because I know what size print that I want in inches. As you change either the width or height, your resolution will also change. IF you display your resolution in pixes/inch, this shows you your PPI that we talked about earlier. If you make HxW smaller, your resolution will be larger (better), but obviously your prints will be smaller (whatever size that you specify). The R800 discards resolutions greater than 360ppi. 360 would be the ideal number but you can probably obtain very good results with resolutions as low as 200 ppi. If you want to obtain a higher resolution for your image, you can check resample image and change your pixel dimensions (make sure "constrain proportions" is checked. But by doing this, PS is really adding data that is not there and this can produce poor results. There are other add ons that can do this better than the bicubic method, but that is another topic…

Another consideration for printing and one you should make before changing the resolution in the image size dialog box is the hxw aspect ratio or print size that you will want to print your image on. If you want to print an 8"x10" print, that has a different aspect ratio than a 4"x6" print. You must first crop your image to the correct aspect ratio corresponding to your print size before you adjust the image size or one of your dimensions, height or width, will be too small or too big. I usually do this with the rectangle marquee tool. Click on this tool and set the style to "fixed aspect ratio" put in the dimensions of your print 8×10 or 5×7, or 4×6, etc. Then use the tool and drag a box the size of the area you want to keep. Then goto Image<Crop after you are satisfied with your crop. Then you can change your either height or width in the image size dialog box and the other will be exactly correct for the ratio of your earlier crop.

I hope this helps.

Color management is an entire different thread. You should probably read the help on this first and then search the forum for where it has already been discussed or make a new post. To me, color management is a much for difficult topic to grasp and I am not quallified to try and explain it.
H
HPB
May 3, 2004
Well, you certainly solved the problem and I thank you. I’m no longer wasting paper and ink. This little fact does not seem to be mentioned in ANY of the info I’ve read, including Epson’s instructions.

One of the things that was very misleading for me was that I called Epson about this problem and the person on the line had no clue as to how to interface with PScs. There are lots of folks that are using the Epson printer and PScs that are going to be in a world of hurt. I was having trouble printing on 4 X 6 media from Epson and come to find out that the R800 does not recognize the perforated 4 X 6 format but does the net 4 X 6 format. Confusing to say the least.

If you like some minor help on the Color Management side let me know. I’ve got that a little more wired than the Image Size issue. I started using advice from Ian Lyons at www.compter-darkroom.com which was really helpful.

BTW, how did you learn about the sizing answer?

Now, I’m indebted to you for bailing me out on the size problem. Again, thank you!

Regards,

Hank Bishop
MM
Mike_Morrell
May 3, 2004
Seems odd that Epson tech support does not know how to size images in PS. Some of the more consumer oriented programs, including PS Elements, make printing a bit more intuitive for the average user. I’ve been using PS for several years now, since version 4 I think, and PPI and image sizing was one of the first things that I had to learn. Maybe someone on the forum helped me, not sure.

As far as color management goes, I’m not a complete novice, but I’m certainly not an expert. I do have a device to calibrate my monitor and set my monitor profile. But one issue I have is that I use a 3 monitor display setup and I really have not found a way to calibrate all monitors with their own monitor profiles simultaneously. I just learned (thanks to a forum member) a few days ago that the "save for web" dialog is not using color profile in its display. So I’m still timid about giving any advice about color management.

No need to be indebted. Just answer someone else’s question when you can. My philosophy is to attempt to try to help at least one person whenever I add a new topic. There are a lot of people who definitely go way beyond my philosophy and I have learned quite a lot from these helpful experts, some of whom are on the PS dev team and choose to help users on their own time.

Epson tech support aside, how to you like your R800? I have a more expensive 2200 too and I now prefer the R800 and print everything 8×10 and smaller on it (the 2200 handles 13" wide paper). The gloss optimizer is really great for high gloss paper, best I’ve seen on any inkjet. Plus, you have the added bonus of direct CD printing and pigment based inks. I have not found a great ICC profile for inkjet CD/DVD’s for the R800 yet though.
IL
Ian_Lyons
May 3, 2004
I just learned (thanks to a forum member) a few days ago that the "save for web" dialog is not using color profile in its display. So I’m still timid about giving any advice about color management.

It is often claimed that Save for the Web is NOT colour managed – this is WRONG!

The default Save for the Web preview setting is "Uncompensated Color". With this setting active you are sending the raw RGB data straight to the monitor (effectively no colour management). The image will appear in preview pretty much as it will in non colour managed applications and web browsers on your computer.

Nevertheless, you do have the option of previewing the image in Save for the WEb as it appeared in Photoshop (i.e. as if it were being displayed on a generic Windows PC monitor (sRGB) or a generic Mac monitor (Apple RGB)). To enable this preview mode you need to click the little triangle shaped button to the left of the Save button in Save for the Web, and then make your choice from: Uncompensated Color, Standard Windows Color, Standard Macintosh Color or Use the Document Profile. It is this last option take corresponds to previewing the image as it appeared in Photoshop itself. I usually recommend that folk choose "Standard Windows Color".

Likewise, since the majority of folk viewing your web images will be doing so on a non colour managed browser it is probably better that you convert a COPY of your image to sRGB before choosing Save for the Web. Doing so will ensure that colour and saturation differences between the main Photoshop preview and Save for the Web are significantly reduced.

By activating the Embed ICC Profile option in Save for the Web you will be going a long way to ensuring that folk using Mac computers also see your image as intended (Mac web browsers such as Safari and Internet Explorer are ICC profile aware). Embedding the ICC profile increase the file size by around 4KB.
MM
Mike_Morrell
May 3, 2004
"Likewise, since the majority of folk viewing your web images will be doing so on a non colour managed browser it is probably better that you convert a COPY of your image to sRGB before choosing Save for the Web. Doing so will ensure that colour and saturation differences between the main Photoshop preview and Save for the Web are significantly reduced."

Thanks for the tip(s). I had a post about this issue and how automating for web was producing poor results. I will try copying to sRGB before automating web viewing and see how much that helps.
H
HPB
May 3, 2004
Thanks for all the wonderful advice. I know where to go when I’m in trouble in the future.

Hank
M
marionbabich
May 3, 2004
The R800 is a great little printer. We have a photography studio and use it to print CD’s and watercolor note cards for customers, which it does very well on both. The print preview is a great feature and will save you a lot of miss prints.

Marion
IL
Ian_Lyons
May 3, 2004
Marion,

Unless Epson by some stroke of genius (and they’ve never showed any ability in this department before) the print preview on all Epson printers is a disaster waiting to bite your ass. I must get a dozen emails a day from folk pulling their hair out after seeing what it does to images (fluorescent magenta) that have had a media profile applied with the Photoshop print space profile popup. What they are seeing is correct, but you try explaining it to them. I see you’ve provided an email address in your name tag – be prepared for my Epson Print Preview diverts 😉
MM
Mike_Morrell
May 3, 2004
Marion, what is the "print preview feature"?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections