Posted By
4N
Nov 19, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

let’s say I have a layer with no background and an object, inside the layer, smaller then the canvas.
If I select all the canvas (ctrl-a) then I copy the selection inside the clipboard only the object is stored inside the clipboard, so when I paste it back on a different canvas the image is pasted in the middle of the destination canvas. Is there a way to make PS store the entire layer inside the clipboard so the object doesn’t loose it’s position?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
ronviers
Nov 20, 2006
4N wrote:
Hi,

let’s say I have a layer with no background and an object, inside the layer, smaller then the canvas.
If I select all the canvas (ctrl-a) then I copy the selection inside the clipboard only the object is stored inside the clipboard, so when I paste it back on a different canvas the image is pasted in the middle of the destination canvas. Is there a way to make PS store the entire layer inside the clipboard so the object doesn’t loose it’s position?

You could copy the object to buffer then do a ‘file new’ so the dimensions will be the same for a new document. Then instead of pasting the object into the new document you can ‘shift drag’ the object from source document to the new one with the move tool.

Hth,
Ron
4N
Nov 20, 2006
if I got it right the first part could be done using duplicate image and anyway using the drag of a layer from an image to a second image doesn’t keep the position of the layer, in fact often it’s pasted as PS please, even partially outside the canvas.

ha scritto nel messaggio
4N wrote:
Hi,

let’s say I have a layer with no background and an object, inside the layer,
smaller then the canvas.
If I select all the canvas (ctrl-a) then I copy the selection inside the clipboard only the object is stored inside the clipboard, so when I paste it
back on a different canvas the image is pasted in the middle of the destination canvas. Is there a way to make PS store the entire layer inside
the clipboard so the object doesn’t loose it’s position?

You could copy the object to buffer then do a ‘file new’ so the dimensions will be the same for a new document. Then instead of pasting the object into the new document you can ‘shift drag’ the object from source document to the new one with the move tool.
Hth,
Ron
J
jenelisepasceci
Nov 20, 2006
"4N" wrote:

if I got it right the first part could be done using duplicate image and anyway using the drag of a layer from an image to a second image doesn’t keep the position of the layer, in fact often it’s pasted as PS please, even partially outside the canvas.
Keep the Shift-key pressed when dragging.

Peter
E
edjh
Nov 20, 2006
4N wrote:
Hi,

Ctrl-J for Layer Via Copy; Shift-Ctrl-J for Layer Vis Cut.

In both cases the object will be pasted exactly in the position it was originally. No long procedure necessary. I am amazed that this basic command is apparently not well known here.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
4N
Nov 20, 2006
right, it isn’t a trivial matter because you usually don’t really need it. Thanks.

"edjh" ha scritto nel messaggio
4N wrote:
Hi,

smaller then the canvas.
If I select all the canvas (ctrl-a) then I copy the selection inside the clipboard only the object is stored inside the clipboard, so when I paste it
back on a different canvas the image is pasted in the middle of the destination canvas. Is there a way to make PS store the entire layer inside
In both cases the object will be pasted exactly in the position it was originally. No long procedure necessary. I am amazed that this basic command is apparently not well known here.

Comics art for sale:
4N
Nov 20, 2006
hmm, I tryed ctrl-j, it simply duplicates the current layer into the same image (I usually drag the layer on the "create new layer" icon in the layer palette).
Holding the shift while dragging the layer inside a different image works fine but it can’t be recorded.
Better than nothing but if you guys know of a recordable way to make it would be great.

"4N" ha scritto nel messaggio
right, it isn’t a trivial matter because you usually don’t really need it. Thanks.

"edjh" ha scritto nel messaggio
4N wrote:
Hi,

smaller then the canvas.

Comics art for sale:

J
j
Nov 21, 2006
4N wrote:

SHIFT DRAG! Like the man said.

And dragging an image doesn’t require more memory. It is the way to go.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections