how to (auto-)select just-pasted object in Photoshop?

P
Posted By
philiptdotcom
May 21, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m trying to figure out how to (auto-)SELECT the object(=bitmap) I just pasted into a Photoshop document.

Some programs (e.g., the $39.95 LViewPro) realize that this is a reasonable thing to do, and do it by default (i.e., as soon as you paste something into an image, the pasted part is automatically selected; you can deselect it by clicking anywhere else on the image).

In Photoshop, I can’t figure out how to do it at all. (Well, short of
[remembering to] first create a new layer via cut; magic-wanding the
background of the new layer; inverting the selection; and copying the result back to the original layer. Seems like going "a long way to get your elbow" for something that intuitively should be done by default in the first place!!)

This may be a very basic question, but I can’t figure it out. Thanks in advance for any help.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

A
a
May 23, 2006
You didn’t say what version of PS you have, but in CS2 when you paste, a new layer is created. Ctrl+ left click on the layer thumbnail selects all pixels on that layer.

"philiptdotcom" wrote in message
I’m trying to figure out how to (auto-)SELECT the object(=bitmap) I just pasted into a Photoshop document.

Some programs (e.g., the $39.95 LViewPro) realize that this is a reasonable thing to do, and do it by default (i.e., as soon as you paste something into an image, the pasted part is automatically selected; you can deselect it by clicking anywhere else on the image).
In Photoshop, I can’t figure out how to do it at all. (Well, short of
[remembering to] first create a new layer via cut; magic-wanding the
background of the new layer; inverting the selection; and copying the result back to the original layer. Seems like going "a long way to get your elbow" for something that intuitively should be done by default in the first place!!)

This may be a very basic question, but I can’t figure it out. Thanks in advance for any help.
J
Janee
May 26, 2006
Hi, Philip!
You can do this by ticking the Auto-Select Layer box in the Move Tool’s Options Bar.
Or if you don’t want this feature on all the time, you can hold the Ctrl key down before you move and it will choose the object you click on. This will work only if each of your objects is on its own layer. —
Always me,
Janee, ACE, ACI

No one else has your vision. No one else can do your art. —
Photoshop Tutorials, Art Challenge, and more! http://www.myJanee.com Online Photoshop classes — http://www.myJanee.com/classes.htm Remove 7 8 7 to reply

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections