R
Posted By
Roberto
Jul 8, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In one of the images I’m editing right now, I have a streak of color running across a portion of it.

The streak is not uniform but is readily identifiable, and quite annoying at that. It looks like someone has air-brushed with a very transparent ink. Or maybe it looks like the rust? Anyway, I want to remove the streak of color without damaging the background.

One of the problems is that the background has similar colors (albeit it doesn’t fool my eyes). Any ideas?

TIA!

P.S.
I can’t post the image on the net and it’s too large for e-mailing…

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

WM
Walton Mendelson
Jul 8, 2004
I often get unwanted lines or pixels as artifacts of scanning. My way to correct this is to create a new layers over the image and with cloning and painting–depending on what you’re working on, usually both–I remove the line or pixels. By working on a separte layer you don’t hurt the original and correcting your own mistakes is easy.

Periodically, reduce the size of the image and look at it to see how well your work is going.

Walton

"Branko Vukelic" wrote in message
In one of the images I’m editing right now, I have a streak of color
running
across a portion of it.

The streak is not uniform but is readily identifiable, and quite annoying
at
that. It looks like someone has air-brushed with a very transparent ink.
Or
maybe it looks like the rust? Anyway, I want to remove the streak of color without damaging the background.

One of the problems is that the background has similar colors (albeit it doesn’t fool my eyes). Any ideas?

TIA!

P.S.
R
Roberto
Jul 8, 2004
I know. I’ve owned a noisy little bastard called Mustek 1200UB.

But this is not it. This is a huge very-soft-brush-like stroke across the image. It’s about as wide as 10% of the total image height.

Well, on the second thought, it’s just annoying more than anything. Something that I would like to remove, but would probably make no huge impact on the image…

Thanks for your help, anyway. Though, if someone comes up with something, please let me know.

"Walton Mendelson" wrote in message
I often get unwanted lines or pixels as artifacts of scanning. My way to correct this is to create a new layers over the image and with cloning and painting–depending on what you’re working on, usually both–I remove the line or pixels. By working on a separte layer you don’t hurt the original and correcting your own mistakes is easy.

Periodically, reduce the size of the image and look at it to see how well your work is going.

Walton

running
across a portion of it.

at
Or
maybe it looks like the rust? Anyway, I want to remove the streak of color
without damaging the background.

TIA!

P.S.

BV
Big V
Jul 8, 2004
Sounds like a color cast. If so try this:
Eyedropper a Midtone and Highlight of the just the color cast. Add new layer and Edit > Fill with this sample color. blend mode- Color. Ctl + I to invert the Layers color (Image > Invert). Lower opacity to 50% or so.
Add a layer mask and paint over the good area to "hide it" from the inverted color layer. Soft air brush, low opacity at the edges. Hope this helps.
Vernon

running
across a portion of it.

at
Or
maybe it looks like the rust? Anyway, I want to remove the streak of color without damaging the background.

TIA!

P.S.
R
Roberto
Jul 8, 2004
Ah, hiding in plain site! Thanks a lot for great info!

"vern" wrote in message
Eyedropper a Midtone and Highlight of the just the color cast. Add new layer and Edit > Fill with this sample color. blend mode- Color. Ctl + I to invert the Layers color (Image > Invert). Lower opacity to 50%
or so.
Add a layer mask and paint over the good area to "hide it" from the inverted color layer. Soft air brush, low opacity at the edges. Hope this helps.
Vernon
[sic]
H
Hecate
Jul 9, 2004
On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 18:35:08 GMT, "vern"
wrote:

Eyedropper a Midtone and Highlight of the just the color cast. Add new layer and Edit > Fill with this sample color. blend mode- Color. Ctl + I to invert the Layers color (Image > Invert). Lower opacity to 50% or so.
Vernon
I’d just add to that, look in the individual channels. You’ll probably find that one or other of the channels shows the streak a lot, whilst another may not show it at all. And consider blending the channel it doesn’t show in into the channel it does, or even throwing away the channel which shows it worst and replacing it with the channel which shows it least. A colour cast of this type is, usually, only in the one channel.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
R
Roberto
Jul 9, 2004
Great tip. Although, I’ve removed the streak already, I’ll have this in mind in future.

"Hecate" wrote in message
On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 18:35:08 GMT, "vern"
wrote:

Eyedropper a Midtone and Highlight of the just the color cast. Add new layer and Edit > Fill with this sample color. blend mode- Color. Ctl + I to invert the Layers color (Image > Invert). Lower opacity to 50%
or so.
Vernon
I’d just add to that, look in the individual channels. You’ll probably find that one or other of the channels shows the streak a lot, whilst another may not show it at all. And consider blending the channel it doesn’t show in into the channel it does, or even throwing away the channel which shows it worst and replacing it with the channel which shows it least. A colour cast of this type is, usually, only in the one channel.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections