JA
Posted By
Jack_Archer
Feb 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Actually, I want to make part of a layer less saturated, or more black and white.

I can’t recall how to do this. Thanks for the help!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

SF
Scott_Falkner
Feb 20, 2004
Add an HHSB adjustment layer and dial the saturation down to nuttin’. That will make the layer grayscale. To make it black and white, add another Adjustment layer, this time Threshold.
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Feb 20, 2004
There are several ways.

What you may want to do is to add a Hue/Saturation Adjustment Layer, decrease saturation all the way, then invert this adjustment layer. Now you can paint on it with a white brush to control areas of desaturation.

Mathias
JA
Jack_Archer
Feb 20, 2004
How do I get the Hue/Saturation layer to only affect the one layer? I created one and it affected all layers below the adjustment.
J
JasonSmith
Feb 20, 2004
group the adjustment layer with the layer you want to apply it to.

the key commands for windows is ctl>g I think.
JA
Jack_Archer
Feb 20, 2004
Right, but how? Sorry, but I’m new to this.
J
JasonSmith
Feb 20, 2004
Oop, I edited – with the adjusmtent layer selected, hit cntl>G (I think)
JA
Jack_Archer
Feb 20, 2004
Thanks, that did it. Is there a way to do it with a menu item? I probably won’t remember the shortcut!

One other thing that somebody said:
What you may want to do is to add a Hue/Saturation Adjustment Layer, decrease saturation all the way, then invert this adjustment layer. Now you can paint on it with a white brush to control areas of desaturation.

What does it mean to "invert this adjustment layer"? I can follow everything else.

Thanks a lot for the help.
J
JasonSmith
Feb 20, 2004
Under layer – create group clipping mask.
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Feb 21, 2004
Jack – Invert = Ctrl-Alt-I (making the white adjustment layer black instead of white).

But grouping with your layer sounds like a good alternative to painting in the mask.

Mathias

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections