Image of wood, want to keep grain visible and the same, just want to change colour ??

AN
Posted By
a_newsreader
Aug 3, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Please help,

We are a door manufacturing company and we have some pictures of doors in our catalogue which aren’t like the reality.

For example, we have a range of around 5 doors where they should all be the same colour, yet only one of them is correct in terms of reality, the others are not.

So when we show our customers the catalogues of the doors, we need to keep explaining that all the doors are the same colour as door number C01 (for example).

The design and grain on the doors is correct, but the colour of them isn’t.

We can’t afford to have photography done, and we know it’s very simple to do in Photoshop.

The question of course is how ??!!

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
Bj
Aug 3, 2005
There’s indeed a possibility to do this. Though I’m using the German Version of PS CS I’m trying to explain how. In the Picture-Menu there must be somthing like "fit in". It’s there in the menu, where you can choose for example the brightness and the contrast. Here you can find a option "Same color" or something like that. This should solve the problem if you choose the right options (help file is help-fully 😉
But this options ist existing only in the CS and the CS2-version.

Bj
AN
a_newsreader
Aug 3, 2005
Hi Bjorn,

I’m on Photoshop 6.0. Would it be in my version ?? I don’t know of a Picture menu nor of a ‘fit-in’ option.

What I am playing around with is adding a new adjustment layer and using "Selective Colour". That seems to be the best for me dso far.
E
edjh
Aug 3, 2005
Björn Hein wrote:
There’s indeed a possibility to do this. Though I’m using the German Version of PS CS I’m trying to explain how. In the Picture-Menu there must be somthing like "fit in". It’s there in the menu, where you can choose for example the brightness and the contrast. Here you can find a option "Same color" or something like that. This should solve the problem if you choose the right options (help file is help-fully 😉
But this options ist existing only in the CS and the CS2-version.
Björm

schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Please help,

We are a door manufacturing company and we have some pictures of doors in our catalogue which aren’t like the reality.

For example, we have a range of around 5 doors where they should all be the same colour, yet only one of them is correct in terms of reality, the others are not.

So when we show our customers the catalogues of the doors, we need to keep explaining that all the doors are the same colour as door number C01 (for example).

We can’t afford to have photography done, and we know it’s very simple to do in Photoshop.

Photoshop has lots of tools to tweak color with. I think a Curves adjustment may be what you need. Do it as an Adjustment Layer so it will be more editable.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
T
Tacit
Aug 3, 2005
In article ,
wrote:

You can choose the correct color as your foreground color, then use the Paintbrush in Color mode or use the Edit->Fill command in Color mode.

You may also be able to change the color using the Image->Adjust->Curves or Image->Adjust->Hue and Saturation commands.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
BH
Bill Hilton
Aug 3, 2005
The design and grain on the doors is correct, but the colour of them isn’t …. we know it’s very simple to do in Photoshop. The question of course is how ??!!

Here are two ways of doing this … I’m pretty sure these are unchanged from Version 6.

1) Select the layer with the door on it and do Image / Adjustments / Replace Color. In the dialog box you can select a ‘fuzziness’ so start with the default and click with the eye dropper on the image to select a color. If you get too much reduce fuzziness, if too little increase fuzziness (maybe read up in Help on ‘Replace Color’ for the other nuances).

Once you have the colors selected then move the Hue, Saturation and Lightness sliders to change the colors.

One disadvantage of this method is that it’s harder to make small changes later so method 2 is similar but more complicated and flexible ….

2) Start over … do Select / Color Range, which will give you a selection based on color, using the now-familiar fuzziness slider … once the selection looks good click OK. Now make an adjustment layer of type Hue/Sat (Layer / New Adjustment Layer /Hue Sat if you don’t know how to use the icons at the bottom of the layer palette). Now adjust the hue, sat and lightness to get the right color. You’re basically doing the same thing as with Replace Color except it’s split into two steps and you can re-edit and fine tune the adjustment layer as often as needed, so method 2 is more flexible.

Bill
N
noone
Aug 3, 2005
In article <Ky2Ie.3324$
says…
Bj
MR
Mike Russell
Aug 3, 2005
wrote in message
Please help,

Good suggestions from Bill Hilton, Tacit, and others on how to do this in Photoshop.

If you will be doing this very often, you may want to check out Curvemeister’s color pinning feature. You can create a color pin for each wood type that you need, and drag it onto the color that you want to change. There are a couple of pins included with the demo version for various wood types.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
H
Hecate
Aug 3, 2005
On 3 Aug 2005 03:03:56 -0700, wrote:

Please help,

I’m a photographer. I need some new doors, but I can’t afford them. Maybe you’d like to come along and fit them for free?

Presumably, someone did the photography in the first place? And who holds the copyright?

And you’re a commercial organisation, presumably in the business to make a profit – so why should you assume that people should help you for free?

I don’t mind helping individuals, but I’m damned if I’m going to help do another photographer out of work.

Hecate – The Real One

Fashion: Buying things you don’t need, with money
you don’t have, to impress people you don’t like…
R
Roberto
Aug 3, 2005
wrote in message
Please help,

Tell the lazy butthead photographer to get with the lazy jerk who makes the things and create a true product represention. It ain’t your problem. If you want to make it your problem, then multiply your fee by 400%. Others will chime in with the How To.
L
Larry Linson
Aug 4, 2005
in article ,
wrote on 08/03/2005 3:03
AM:

Please help,

We are a door manufacturing company

Then hire someone to do it for you.

You do make a profit on your doors, right?
AN
a_newsreader
Aug 5, 2005
Hecate wrote:

I’m a photographer. I need some new doors, but I can’t afford them. Maybe you’d like to come along and fit them for free?

Presumably, someone did the photography in the first place? And who holds the copyright?

And you’re a commercial organisation, presumably in the business to make a profit – so why should you assume that people should help you for free?

I don’t mind helping individuals, but I’m damned if I’m going to help do another photographer out of work.

Hecate – The Real One

I guess one will always attract these types of ‘clever’ responses.

Erm, we aren’t asking for FREE photographs, besides, they were taken abroad and all we have are the photoshop files (which we own – if that’s okay with the police).
H
Hecate
Aug 5, 2005
On 5 Aug 2005 03:50:45 -0700, wrote:

Erm, we aren’t asking for FREE photographs, besides, they were taken abroad and all we have are the photoshop files (which we own – if that’s okay with the police).

No, it’s not clever – nor is trying to get free work done because you’re incapable of doing professional work. If you want it to look professional, hire a professional – I assume you don’t give doors away to DIY people who can’t make their own?

Hecate – The Real One

R
Roberto
Aug 6, 2005
Erm, we aren’t asking for FREE photographs, besides, they were taken abroad and all we have are the photoshop files

So have them FIXED abroad.
L
Larry Linson
Aug 6, 2005
in article ,
wrote on 08/05/2005 3:50
AM:

Hecate wrote:

Hecate – The Real One

Erm, we aren’t asking for FREE photographs

Good, then hire a professional to fix your "professional" photos, Dufus.
AN
a_newsreader
Aug 6, 2005
You’re an arsehole. And a very thick one at that..
AN
a_newsreader
Aug 6, 2005
Which is what I’m trying to do…….sheesh.
AN
a_newsreader
Aug 6, 2005
Are you related to Hecate ??
BH
Bill Hilton
Aug 6, 2005
You’re an arsehole. And a very thick one at that.

If you post a question on a NG and get 10 answers you’ll usually find two of them are good answers, six are repeats of the two good answers and two will attack you in some way for even trying to post such a dumbass, stupid question (regardless of what the question was).

The secret to happiness when posting questions is to learn from the two good answers and ignore the rest 🙂 Don’t let it get to you man …
L
Larry Linson
Aug 6, 2005
in article ,
wrote on 08/06/2005 2:08
AM:

Which is what I’m trying to do…….sheesh.

No that is not what you were trying to do, you were attempting to get free info so that you could fix the photos yourself.

Hire someone that is a professional to fix your bad photos.
L
Larry Linson
Aug 6, 2005
in article ,
wrote on 08/06/2005 2:09
AM:

Are you related to Hecate ??

Do you really think that is going to help you find someone to fix your bad photos?
L
Larry Linson
Aug 6, 2005
in article ,
wrote on 08/06/2005 2:07
AM:

You are well on your way to NOT finding someone to fix your bad photos. Keep it up, Doofus.
GD
George Dingwall
Aug 6, 2005
Hi there,

It’s unfortunate that some on the group are unwilling to help you because you might make money out of the help you need.

Anyway, the easiest way to do what you want is to select the brush tool and choose "Colour" as the mode for the brush.

Place the door you want to change on its own layer with a transparent background. In the layers pallet, check the "Preserve Transparency" option.

Choose the colour you want to use and then paint over the door. You can vary the opacity of the brush if needed.

Only the colour will change, not the grain of the wood.

You may have to play further with Hue Saturation, or other colour controls, to fine tune the colour and lightness of the image, but you should be able to get pretty good results.

Check out this image to see what I mean.

http://freespace.virgin.net/george.gdingwall/pages/test.html

The door on the left is the original colour. I’ve chose extreme colours to emphasize the effect.

Hope this helps.

Please help,

Bye for now,

George Dingwall

Invergordon, Scotland

www.georgedingwall.freeuk.com
AN
a_newsreader
Aug 6, 2005
Larry Linson wrote:
in article ,
wrote on 08/06/2005 2:07
AM:

You are well on your way to NOT finding someone to fix your bad photos. Keep it up, Doofus.

Which was, I’m sure, your objective.

Unfortunately for you, cretin, I’ve already solved it.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections