V
Posted By
Voodoo-U
Jan 8, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Well, the 21" monitor I use at work crapped out on me the other day and I am in the process of looking for a replacement. My employer is really gung-ho in getting an LCD as a replacement due to aesthetics (I am one of the few people still using a CRT at the office).

I am hesitant to move to an LCD mostly due to my own experience with them in the past; poor color quality, ghosting and image resolution being my chief concerns.

Anyone out there in the design field that is presently using an LCD that they are happy with? I prefer something in the 18"-19" range.

Thanks in advance….

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Y
YrbkMgr
Jan 8, 2004
Check this thread.

Best Monitor for PS <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.2ccf217c>

There are others here as well. Search on LCD or Monitor. It’s been discussed quite often.

Peace,
Tony
DM
Don_McCahill
Jan 8, 2004
I have only heard of one flat screen monitor that had (apparently) decent color calibration. And it costs double what the others do. This might change the boss from esthetics to economics in the purchase.
BB
brent_bertram
Jan 8, 2004
Would we be talking the Apple Cinema 23" , Don ?

🙂
P
Phosphor
Jan 8, 2004
Get 2-19 inch CRTs for the price of one 21 or 23 inch LCD, with enough money left over to buy a hardware calibration system.

And a bigger desk.
RA
Richard_A._Ross
Jan 9, 2004
LCD is good enough. Check out the Samsung 213T, you will love it.
V
Voodoo-U
Jan 9, 2004
Thanks for the feedback guys and gals. I’m well aware that a CRT would be the better solution, but I am well past that point in the discussion with the local management 🙁

Hard as it is to believe, they would readily drop $3k-$4k on an LCD for aesthetics rather then just a getting another CRT. I’ve fought the good fight and at this point seem to have little room left other then just finding a good LCD.

Very little of our work is for print, the majority being multimedia and animation, so I have a little room for ‘offage’ when it comes to color calibration. Thus far I’ve checked out the VX900 by Viewsonic, seems to have good color and I was able to adjust one in the store so that it’s pretty accurate. I’ve also checked out the Samsung 193V and it wasn’t too bad.

Guess I’ll keep on the hunt and maybe if I spend enough time looking for a LCD, they’ll get tired of me waiting and let me pick up a CRT 😉
P
Phosphor
Jan 9, 2004
Digit magazine has given good reviews to the LaCie Photon20 Vision and the Eizo ColorEdge CG21.

Hit their website for more details:

<http://www.digitmag.co.uk/>
RA
Richard_A._Ross
Jan 9, 2004
Very little of our work is for print, the majority being multimedia and animation

Then all the works end up on some video displays. Getting the finest CRT is not very useful as you can’t judge how your work will look like on a "normal" your audience’s likely viewing gears.
P
Phosphor
Jan 9, 2004
The "average" user’s display is probably a little long in the tooth and way out of calibration.

The best you can hope for is that the "average" user can see 75% of the shadow and highlight detail you intend for them to see.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections