Posted By
Garrett
Jul 12, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all.

I’m in the market to replace my old CRT with a new LCD, something in the 24" to 30" range. I do a lot of work in Photoshop.

Most of the info I’ve found online seems to suggest that the viewing angle data supplied by manufacturers is less than accurate. Most of the user reviews I’ve read are to the effect that people like a wide variety of these large LCDs, but the viewing angle is just "satisfactory", at best. I haven’t found any positive reviews when it comes to the viewing angle ratings.

Does anyone here have a large LCD that excels in this area? Maybe it’s a pipe dream, but I’d like one where the image doesn’t fall apart if your head is slightly off center.

Thanks!

Garrett

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

T
Tacit
Jul 12, 2007
In article ,
Garrett wrote:

Does anyone here have a large LCD that excels in this area? Maybe it’s a pipe dream, but I’d like one where the image doesn’t fall apart if your head is slightly off center.

I have an Apple Cinema Display that is outstanding in brightness, contrast, and viewing angle–the best LCD display I’ve seen yet.

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
K
krash
Jul 12, 2007
Samsung for me… kk

"tacit" wrote in message
In article ,
Garrett wrote:

I have an Apple Cinema Display that is outstanding in brightness, contrast, and viewing angle–the best LCD display I’ve seen yet.

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
J
Joel
Jul 12, 2007
Garrett wrote:

How about look at the largest LCD at store near you to see for yourself? Here, I often work on detail image (skin-texture) and I have looked at LCD screen at many local stores and I can see the dots (screen) are larger and more visible than skin-texture. That’s one of the reasons I am still using old CRT even I really like to go for LCD to free up some desk space.
FS
Fat Sam
Jul 12, 2007
Garrett wrote:
Hi all.

I’m in the market to replace my old CRT with a new LCD, something in the 24" to 30" range. I do a lot of work in Photoshop.
Most of the info I’ve found online seems to suggest that the viewing angle data supplied by manufacturers is less than accurate. Most of the user reviews I’ve read are to the effect that people like a wide variety of these large LCDs, but the viewing angle is just "satisfactory", at best. I haven’t found any positive reviews when it comes to the viewing angle ratings.

I’ve found that LCD screens don’t tend to do that anywhere near as much as they used to.
The technology has advanced in recent years to the point where the viewing angle is really quite wide.
I suspect you’d have to buy an extremely cheap or quite old model to suffer these effects nowadays.
V
Voivod
Jul 12, 2007
On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 20:43:00 -0400, tacit scribbled:

In article ,
Garrett wrote:

While I agree the Apple displays look nice their tech specs are falling far behind the competition while their price isn’t….

Without looking at names, which one would you be more inclined to buy?

1) 22", 2 ms response time; 3000:1 contrast ratio; 300 cd/m² brightness
2) 23", 16 ms response time, 400:1 contrast ratio; 270 cd/m² brightness

How about if:

1) Sells for $350
2) Sells for $900

Personally, I’d rather buy 2 of #1 and _still_ save $200.
J
jaSPAMc
Jul 12, 2007
Voivod found these unused words:

In article ,
Garrett wrote:

While I agree the Apple displays look nice their tech specs are falling far behind the competition while their price isn’t….

How about if:

1) Sells for $350
2) Sells for $900

Higher contrast ratios usually indicate a ‘deeper’ cell, thus narrower viewing angle.
V
Voivod
Jul 12, 2007
On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 07:49:28 -0700, Sir F. A. Rien
scribbled:

In article ,
Garrett wrote:

How about if:

1) Sells for $350
2) Sells for $900

Higher contrast ratios usually indicate a ‘deeper’ cell, thus narrower viewing angle.

1) 170° horizontal and 160° vertical viewing angles
2) 170° viewing angles, horizontal and vertical

10° less vertical? That’s what the tilt feature’s for.

I seriously can’t see #2 being worth THAT much more than #1. Oh yeah, #1 also comes with a three year warranty while Apple *cough* #2 gives but one. Sight unseen I wouldn’t even consider the Apple display and in person it’d have to completely blow the others away (which I doubt it can) for me to… no, scratch that, there’s no way in hell I could justify spending $550 more for an inch more real estate and the Apple name. No monitor is that good.
S
SpaceGirl
Jul 12, 2007
Voivod wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 07:49:28 -0700, Sir F. A. Rien
scribbled:

In article ,
Garrett wrote:

How about if:

1) Sells for $350
2) Sells for $900

1) 170° horizontal and 160° vertical viewing angles
2) 170° viewing angles, horizontal and vertical

10° less vertical? That’s what the tilt feature’s for.
I seriously can’t see #2 being worth THAT much more than #1. Oh yeah, #1 also comes with a three year warranty while Apple *cough* #2 gives but one. Sight unseen I wouldn’t even consider the Apple display and in person it’d have to completely blow the others away (which I doubt it can) for me to… no, scratch that, there’s no way in hell I could justify spending $550 more for an inch more real estate and the Apple name. No monitor is that good.

I love my Apple 30" ACD! In December 06 when we bought it, we compared (by viewing) the screens and it seemed the best to me. If I were buying now I would look around more, but I do no regret it!

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

http://www.northleithmill.com

-.-

Kammy has a new home: http://www.bitesizedjapan.com
B
Bigguy
Jul 13, 2007
Garrett wrote:
Hi all.

Thanks!

Garrett
Dell Ultrasharp range are good for viewing angle + much more too…

I’m using a 24" at the mo’

http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk &l=en&s=bsd&cs=ukbsdt1&sku=59234

No change in black level with large head movements.

Guy
VK
Valerie Kolbert
Jul 16, 2007
I have a 20" Samsung flat panel that I bought because of its specs for 3000:1 contrast and 2ms response time. I don’t know how they measure these things, but the display seems to have an annoying flicker or ripple in large gray areas. I wonder if this is normal or if I got a defective unit.

"www.kevinkienlein.com" wrote in message
Samsung for me… kk

"tacit" wrote in message
In article ,
Garrett wrote:

J
jaSPAMc
Jul 16, 2007
A lot has to do with you … what you’ve chosen for your display settings.

Those specifications are merely the BEST that the unit can do. Not what YOU have sent it in the way of a signal.

"Valerie Kolbert" found these unused words:

I have a 20" Samsung flat panel that I bought because of its specs for 3000:1 contrast and 2ms response time. I don’t know how they measure these things, but the display seems to have an annoying flicker or ripple in large gray areas. I wonder if this is normal or if I got a defective unit.
"www.kevinkienlein.com" wrote in message
Samsung for me… kk

"tacit" wrote in message
In article ,
Garrett wrote:

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections