MR
Posted By
marshall_rubin
Dec 4, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In what I can only see as a cost-cutting measure, each succeeding user manual is getting skimpier than the one before. Since PS version 5.0 (as I recall) the use of color has disappeared from the printed user manual

Even worse, there are too many references within the manual to go to Online Help for more details. The latest manual has much fewer pages than that of version 7.0, even though the newer program has added many new features.

Many software companies claim that users prefer online help over printed manuals, but I strongly disaggree. Online manuals get in the way, and Photoshop’s is no exception. In addition, it’s hard to first read, then memorize written steps, and then go back to the program to apply those steps. A printed manual doesn’t get in the way, and requires no memorization

Adobe is one company that pays heed to its customers’ needs, and I hope it will put more effort into providing a decent printed user manual in the future. It’s worth the price!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
bellwa
Dec 4, 2003
Did you have a question?
B
bellwa
Dec 4, 2003
Did you have a question?
SG
shecky_greene
Dec 4, 2003
The forum isn’t restricted to questions only, I hope.
B
bellwa
Dec 4, 2003
Hey,
Call me ecentric, but Forums are where we put things in to perspective, and solve problems. (Their programs crashed my computer everytime I spent more than an hour useing them. Hell, GoLive wouldn’t work on my PC when it finally arrived!!!!! It took 5 weeks to issue a service patch to make it work. I had 6 employees, OUT OF WORK for 5 weeks in the upgrade (PageMill to GoLive). Note: I paid more than $3000.00 for those Licences, to Adobe. (Did I get any concession from them—NO!!!)
So, complain—They are not into customer feedback.
BUT, WE WILL ALLWAYS BE HERE FOR YOU!!!!!!

[Inappropriate language/comments deleted by Forum Host]
SG
shecky_greene
Dec 4, 2003
Did you have a question?
B
bellwa
Dec 4, 2003
Thats what I like:
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. – Albert Einstein
B
bellwa
Dec 4, 2003
I think he is oblivious to our exchange

B
bellwa
Dec 4, 2003
I’m aminstrating 2 other forums, and trying to compose 4 web sites. EXXXXUUUUSSSEE my spelling, as I ammmmmmmm a University of Washington graduate that was was housed on Greek row ( they only fed us beer / not my misdomeanor!!!!

MM
Mick_Murphy
Dec 4, 2003
Marshall, this is obviously very much a matter of preference. I am one of those users who prefer online to printed manuals. I use two monitors and can have reference material on one screen while having PS open on the other screen. I find this much better in many ways than having a chunky manual taking up space on my desk. Much quicker searching for one thing.

And imagine all those trees that are saved and all that packaging that doesn’t end up on a landfill or in an incinerator when one buys online.

And if you still want paper manuals, the pdf version of the help file is included so you can selectively print what you need.
B
bellwa
Dec 4, 2003
Yeah but, nothing beats a user question. replyed by a fustrated user.
B
bellwa
Dec 4, 2003
But, I thank you for the reply too my other thread!!! What a guy (girl?) Happy Holidays, John
B
bellwa
Dec 4, 2003
I did, It’s the only thing that keeps me from homicide, or suicide.
B
Brian
Dec 4, 2003
Mick_Murphy wrote:
I find this much better in many ways
than having a chunky manual taking up space on my desk.

Doesn’t help when you want to read the manual away from the computer, though… IMO helpfiles are great for on-the-spot help with a particular command or process, but manuals are a must for new users and those who, well, just like to read manuals.

Brian
O
Ol__Whozit
Dec 4, 2003
Gee, Bellwa, didn’t anyone ever teach you to never just jump into a company-wide software upgrade until it has been installed and tested under actual working conditions on ONE machine? That’s how you keep at least 4 of your 6 employees working for 5 weeks while patches are crafted for your network…that’s like a computer network primary rule, dude.

So sorry you got shafted, but it ain’t Adobe’s fault in any shape or form. "Prior Planning Prevents P–s Poor Performance"…

And this whine and cheese session of yours would have been improved or alleviated with the presence of a more comprehensive User Manual HOW, exactly???
RR
Roger_Rabbitre
Dec 4, 2003
The question is obvious to anyone who can read. Why does Adobe charge a fantastic price for their product and furnish such a poor excuse for a manual. I certainly hope for a better answer than simple corporate greed!

A good chunky manual takes up less desk space than does a second monitor!
RL
Robert_Levine
Dec 4, 2003
I think if you took a poll it would be pretty evenly split. And the more versions of the software you’ve used the less you refer to the manual.

For the most part, the books available on Photoshop are far better than the manual.

Bob
KV
Klaas_Visser
Dec 5, 2003
In my opinion, the manuals are useful as a reference, when you know what to look up. The after market books like Real World Photoshop are much better as learning material, as they will, for example, describe a process using mutiple features, whereas you’d have to look up each feature seperately in the manual, assuming that you knew which ones you needed.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 5, 2003
In my opinion, the manuals are useful as a reference, when you know what to look up.

Interesting. I use manuals in the opposite way. I read cover to cover so i kind of know what the capabilities are, then when I want to look something up, I use the online help with it’s search capabilities. So having read the manual through at least once, I know what search terms are likely to get me the results I need, fastest.
KV
Klaas_Visser
Dec 5, 2003
Dave,

I guess it just the way I felt comfortable learning Photoshop. Being a process oriented person, I find it easier to learn the steps in a process, and then learn about each step in detail.
G
graffiti
Dec 5, 2003
as I ammmmmmmm a University of Washington graduate that was was housed on Greek row

Bummer. GO COUGS!!! 🙂
I
ID._Awe
Dec 5, 2003
Personally I like manuals, it is just such a drag carrying a computer on the bus with two 21" monitors.
G
Gener
Dec 5, 2003
I actually like the shorter version User guide. It helped me out a lot in understanding color management, and that’s because it didn’t get into the full lecture found in previous manuals.

Now there’s the full pdf version of the user guide on the cdrom, and relevant parts can be printed out.

But for understanding why I would want to use a particular function…aftermarket books go a looong way. 🙂
RL
Robert_Levine
Dec 5, 2003
I use manuals in the opposite way.

Said the programmer. <g>

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 6, 2003
Heh.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections