Digital photography – help me buy my wife a christmas present :)

RS
Posted By
Ryan_Small
Nov 11, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My wife has taken a Level 1 Adobe Photoshop course and has been using her newfound knowledge to put together a family heritage book. I’d like to buy her a book (or some other training medium) that would help her to give her Photoshop images a little extra "zip". Having already taken a course in Photoshop, she has a pretty good grounding in the basic functions (cropping, layers, etc.). Does anyone have any recommendations??

The other advantage here is that if someone can say "you really should get her this book, cd, whatever" I might actually get my christmas shopping done before December 24th!

-Ryan

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

L
LenHewitt
Nov 11, 2003
Take a look at the Photoshop "WOW" book. That may fit the bill…
DP
Daryl Pritchard
Nov 11, 2003
Hi Ryan,

Well, since you mention "heritage", I’d recommend Katrin Eismann’s "Photoshop Retouching and Restoration" if any of what your wife works on are old, damaged family photos. I recently bought the book and while I’ve yet to sit down and go through it thoroughly, my impression is that it is an excellent book on the topic….an opinion I’ve seen reflected by others for the 1st version. The 2nd version has been updated to be inclusive of PS7.

Regards,

Daryl
P
Phosphor
Nov 11, 2003
I wholeheartedly second Daryl’s recommendation.
DS
Doc Starr
Nov 11, 2003
The best all around book for Photoshop and Photographers that I’ve found is

Photoshop for Photographers

You can see more about it here: http://tinyurl.com/ulbw

The books is about doing things with Photos in Photoshop and skips all the theory. It just shows you how the pros do things and often shows you 2 or 3 different pro techniques for a task.

Cheers,
Doc

wrote in message
My wife has taken a Level 1 Adobe Photoshop course and has been using her newfound knowledge to put together a family heritage book. I’d like to
buy
her a book (or some other training medium) that would help her to give her Photoshop images a little extra "zip". Having already taken a course in Photoshop, she has a pretty good grounding in the basic functions
(cropping,
layers, etc.). Does anyone have any recommendations??

The other advantage here is that if someone can say "you really should get her this book, cd, whatever" I might actually get my christmas shopping
done
before December 24th!

-Ryan

S
SimRacer
Nov 11, 2003
wrote in message
My wife has taken a Level 1 Adobe Photoshop course and has been using her newfound knowledge to put together a family heritage book. I’d like to
buy
her a book (or some other training medium) that would help her to give her Photoshop images a little extra "zip". Having already taken a course in Photoshop, she has a pretty good grounding in the basic functions
(cropping,
layers, etc.). Does anyone have any recommendations??

The other advantage here is that if someone can say "you really should get her this book, cd, whatever" I might actually get my christmas shopping
done
before December 24th!

-Ryan

An EXCELLENT followup to a basic course, IMHO, would be the Scott Kelby book "The Photoshop Book for Digital Photographers". It has some great tutorials aimed squarely at improving photos in Photoshop. Even if the wife is scanning film, this book would still work, but I assume from the subject and text of your post that she is working with digital photos of some sort.
RS
Ryan_Small
Nov 12, 2003
Thanks for all the responses. Having just read the reviews for Photo retouching at Amazon this looks like a great book. Thanks for the recommendation!

-Ryan

wrote in message
I wholeheartedly second Daryl’s recommendation.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections