R
Posted By
Ray
Dec 16, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Out of simple and pure curiosity, what would you wish to get? A new camera, a better printer, a collection of books? A new version of an hold software? Or perhaps a totally cool gadget like an iPod (to download your pictures while on the road!), a color calibration tool, a negative scanner?

Ray

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

SS
Susan_S.
Dec 16, 2003
Canon 300D please. Plus some lenses for it. Nice ones. And while you are at it throw in a 20 inch screen imac (but put in a lot of extra memory and load up photoshop CS)

Given the imminent collapse of my computer system what I am actually going to go out and get (tomorrow, but it will count as a Christmas present) is an external harddrive to back up my imac before it falls over totally (backing up 20 + Gb of stuff on CDs is gettting silly). And as I am going to have to reformat my hard drive and reinstall anyway a copy of OS10.3
Susan S.
PA
Patti_Anderson
Dec 16, 2003
Are you Santa Claus? I’ve been REAL good this year. 🙂

I’d like one of those nice 6+ color Epson photo printers. Throw in some extra ink cartridges while you’re at it.

Yours truly,
Patti

P.S. My fireplace chimney is bricked over, please use the front door. I’ll be sure to leave you some milk & cookies I made especially for you in Phototshop Elements.
JC
Jane_Carter
Dec 16, 2003
I would love a G5, but I don’t neeeeeeeed a G5, so I will be wishing for an iMac sometime, but not ready for Christmas. My G4 is one happy machine.
I did get an 60 g external HD, and I think that it is one of the most useful things I have. Especially with all the digital pictures.
I gave up on the CDs, we get too many of them. With the ext hd, it sits right there on my desk underneith the router with its on/off switch right there.
Oh, maybe an iPod wouldn’t be too bad, or one of those tiny cameras, or,,,,,,,, Jane
J
jhjl1
Dec 16, 2003
EF 600mm f/4L IS USM
EF 85mm f/1.2L USM
EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM

Ray, I will provide you with a shipping address upon request. LOL

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
LM
Lou_M
Dec 16, 2003
On my Christmas list this year is a 2x lens extender for my Canon A70 camera (alas, a digi-SLR is just too pricey at this point) and a Wacom Graphire3 tablet–everyone here got me envious after y’all went out to Sam’s Club and bought ’em cheap.

Now that I’m hitting mid-life crisis, I bought myself a red Audi TT for Christmas. Well, OK, it was a toy car that cost $2.15.

Why do you ask Ray? Do you have a secret "in" with Santa? I was really, really good this year! If that helps. 😉
PL
Paul_L_UK
Dec 16, 2003
For me, it would be a really large plug-in memory module with extremely fast access and read times. It must have a self cataloging (?) feature. It also must be minute.

It would then fill it with all of the hints, tips, ideas, tricks, pointers, help and general assistance (maybe a few of the bad jokes) from the forum, plug it in behind my ear, and be able to access it all at any time.

It won’t make me a better artist or photographer but it might make me feel that I am.

Paul
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 16, 2003
This is our Wish List, right? In that case, I want one of those 17" Mac PowerBooks – with maxed out RAM. Boy, that would sure look nice sitting in my kitchen! I know I’ve been a very good girl this year; I couldn’t get out enough to get in any trouble! 🙂
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 16, 2003
A clone of myself…ya know, to do all the housework and other time wasters. She needs to be digital though….no feelings etc….so that I don’t have to feed her….solar powered would be nice.

Thank you.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Dec 16, 2003
My wants are modest

I want Santa to bring me a Mamiya 645D with three lens (45 f/2.8, 85 f/2.8, and 150 f/3.5) oh heck throw in the 120 macro as well, a Leaf 22 back with their 10 gig digital magazine a top end printer that will do this system justice. Oh and I will have to up grade my computer and software to accommodate this set up.

Ok it’s a fantasy and if I am going to have one it will be a dandy.

The reality is that what I really want and really expect is the family health and happy at my table. But I suspect that is what most of us want.

g.
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 16, 2003
Family health and happiness is definitely at the top of the list!
LM
Lou_M
Dec 16, 2003
A toast to those who have been naughty this year: May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil finds you’re dead. 🙂

And for Ray, a photo iPod looks like it’s coming soon:

<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/68/34530.html>
LK
Leen_Koper
Dec 16, 2003
I am almost as modest as Grant.

I wish a nice, efficient, warm and fuzzy lady to help me out in my studio, cutting my prints, preparing my albums, checking my agenda, handling the sales, do my book keeping etc.
Oh, and she should take care of a nice strong hot cup of black coffee each hour.

OK, Leen, keep on dreaming.. 😉

Leen
RR
Raymond Robillard
Dec 16, 2003
Unless I do win this week-end Lotto 6/49 jackpot, I’m not Santa, yet 🙂

I just wanted to know what’s on your wish list. That’s all. And since we’re in the season where everything is possible (well, almost)… who knows what could happen ?!

And Jodi, have you heard about Honda’s domestic robot ? I think it would partially fullfill your needs 😉

As for me, an iPod would be nice (with the Power Mac G5 dual pro. to go along with it, of course!). And to deliver this, a Jeep (like the Renegade). After all, there’s a lot of snow around here, and I would not want for Santa to get hurt while delievering my goods 🙂

But… since I’ve not always been a good boy (honnesty pays, sometimes..!) I’ll settle for health and happiness for all of us, and… PSE 3 (when / if it comes out) and the iPod alone 🙂

Ray
SK
Shan_Ko
Dec 16, 2003
You said it Beth.

Shan
SK
Shan_Ko
Dec 16, 2003
My wish list is short and simple. I just wish my puter stop trying to have a mine of its own. 🙂

Shan
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 16, 2003
Ray, I don’t know. How much will it actually do ? I mean, I can’t see the little bugger going up and down the stairs with a pile of laundry or changing poopy diapers…which reminds me….he should be potty trained by now !!!!! Grrrrr, boys !
RR
Raymond Robillard
Dec 16, 2003
Shan… LOL !!!!

Jodi, I just saw it a few months ago on the net, there were some video footage of a show in Japan where it was there, walking and doing stuff. I don’t think it will actually do house chores, though…
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 16, 2003
Have you seen those silly little round carpet vaccums that you turn on and just let loose ? That would never work in my house.
SS
Susan_S.
Dec 16, 2003
The problem in my house is finding the floor to vacuum!

Susan S.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 16, 2003
ha ha ha…I was thinking more of my 2 year old…A new toy !! Also, all those diamonds laying on my carpet ! :-p
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Dec 16, 2003

1. Dual G5
2. Dual G5
3. Dual G5
4. Dual G5

Did I mention that I’d like Santa to bring me a Dual G5?

BTW, health and happiness and all that other good stuff too.

Joe

PS: Dual G5
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Dec 16, 2003
I don’t want a lot …. but Photoshop CS or even Photoshop 7 would be nice.

Yes I know I don’t NEED it …. but … but …. but I’ve been good 🙂 🙂

Failing that I would like something to replace Outlook Express … as I have to keep loading up classic to use it and its a pain.

Wendy
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Dec 17, 2003
Failing that I would like something to replace Outlook Express … as I have to keep loading up classic to use it and its a pain.

Wendy,

Mail is light years more advanced than Outlook Express and it has the best junk mail filter in the business (at least if you’re using Jaguar or later).

There you go. I just helped out on your Christmas list. Merry Christmas! 😉

Joe
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Dec 17, 2003
Thanks Joe … will take a look at it. We are having all sorts of problems with Outlook Express so maybe it is time to change now.

We changed over from Internet Explorer to Safari a while back and really like that.

Wendy
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 17, 2003
Mark, what is a Dual G5? I know that a single G5 is a 5 megapixel camera from Canon….would a Dual be two of them perchance??

🙂

Chuck
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 17, 2003
ya right…buy one get one free…you wish ! …It’s for conjoined twins. …someone slap me. :-p
BW
Barbara_Wayne
Dec 17, 2003
Joe, you missed it, Fry Electronics had the Dual G5 advertised for….$99.98! It was unfortunately a major typo, 🙁 but that sure got my attention…!!! 🙂

Barb
MR
Mark_Reibman
Dec 17, 2003
Chuck,

The dual G5 is Apples latest and fastest. Built for the professional…and Joe Henry.
ML
Marty_Landolt
Dec 17, 2003
I have my two front teeth so guess something else will do: Someone to have a cup of coffee with and share a gift or two. Marty
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 17, 2003
If you folks keep on talking about the G5……I’m just glad there isn’t an Apple store in the vicinity. It’s almost enough to get me to think about switching!

Dick

Maybe Santa is listening?
R
Ray
Dec 17, 2003
Once a week, I walk in front of the Apple dealership near the office. Once a week, I enter the store where all the toys are.
Once a week, I stand in front of the marvel and play with it. Once a week, I get home empty handed.
Once a week, I look at the picture of the Dual G5 on the fridge and wonder when… Everyday, I turn on the Dual G5 and do my stuff with it.

🙂

Ray
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 17, 2003
Ray,

Such a touch of whimsy! I love it and I’m really glad we don’t have one here!
GD
Grant_Dixon
Dec 17, 2003
Marty

Will you settle for a virtual coffee with a Canadian lad?

grant
SC
Stephen_C._Smith
Dec 17, 2003
Ray,

I would love a 70-200 f/2.8 L IS for my 10D.

I’m loving seeing all these Mac folks here. (Powerbook G4 12")

Steve

[edit] and Photoshop CS Mac for the CRW converter. People are raving about its ability to extract more exposure range from Canon RAW.
PL
Paul_L_UK
Dec 17, 2003
For those can’t use two cameras at the same time (dual G5), check out Alienware <http://www.alienware.com> for a really sexy PC (yes Mac-Mates, it can be done).

Fot the fun of it, build yourself a 64bit system (a twotone case) and max everything, try two monitors (17" and a 30" LCD – money no object).

Check out the credit, buy now – pay when it is worth half the price. 🙂

Paul
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 17, 2003
Gee, Paul, just when I thought it was safe…….
JC
Jane_Carter
Dec 17, 2003
There is a new Mac store about 8 miles from me, and oh my goodness do they have some really nice machines. I go in now and then and play with the iMacs with the 17" screen. I have just played with the G5 once, don’t want to tempt myself, as I sure don’t need one. Like I said before, this old gal can make do with the Chevy(Corvette?), don’t need the Ferrari.
Only thing that would be really nice is the option to use 2 monitors in extended mode. But buying 2 of those big monitors is overkill.
They are selling well, and I asked the store owner when a new purchase is made and the person asks what to do with their old computer, to please donate it to one of our local schools. They have been doing so.
Do love to go in to that little store and play, Jane
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 17, 2003
PaulL, I spent some time on the Alienware website. Do you now anything about them? I don’t recall having heard their name before.

Dick
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 17, 2003
Dick, have you checked this site yet for re-seller ratings ?

<http://www.resellerratings.com/>
LK
Leen_Koper
Dec 17, 2003
A dual Canon G5 and two monitors. Hmmm, soundslike stereo photography. I wonder when we will be able to enjoy Dolby surround images.

Leen
LK
Leen_Koper
Dec 17, 2003
After all these greedy wishlist, we seem to forget what Christmas is all about. Wishes can be fulfilled with extremely moderate equipment too. A manger instead of a Hilton Hotel, a pinhole camera instead of the latest DSLR. Just have a look at the website of this artist and feel humble. 😉

<http://www.pinhole.nl/>

Leen
RC
Richard_Coencas
Dec 17, 2003
Good point Leen.

Thanks for sharing the pinhole site.

On the subject of doing interesting things with simple equipment, check this site out. <http://www.lostamerica.com/lostframe.html>
He uses old manual SLR cameras, flashlights and color gels to do things that would be impressive in Photoshop, but he does it all in camera.

Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, and Season’s Greetings to you all.

Rich
GD
Grant_Dixon
Dec 17, 2003
Leen

One good URL deserves another Dianne Bos is a lady that up to a year ago live in my town. We shared a love of art, Astronomy, dogs, long walks and photography. She has Nikon’s and Hassies but her main love is pinhole and often pinhole cameras she has made. She moved out west as lecture at the Banff Centre of Arts. If you click onto images at top you will see her discuss her art. While the images on the site are a very good rendition they are still only a shadow of the real ones.

http://www.diannebos.com/works.html

g.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Dec 17, 2003
Richard

Great site.

Grant
RC
Richard_Coencas
Dec 17, 2003
Glad you liked it. He is very generous with explaining his techniques. I find it kind of inspirational. 😉
Rich
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 17, 2003
Jodi,

No I haven’t checked it but I will.

Thanks
PL
Paul_L_UK
Dec 18, 2003
Dick

Read a lot of reviews in magazines over here (they do have a .co.uk site) and they normally beat all other machines except on price – but you do pay for what you get. They mainly do gaming machines, but as they say, if it can handle the latest games, it can handle just about anything.

One of the interesting bits I found, was the machines they build for industry professionals, eg they machines that did the graphics for the Sea Creatures (a Walking with Dinosaurs spin-off, if you ever saw it), plus al the developers that use it.

One more interesting note about performance vs Apple < http://www.alienware.com/press_release_pages/press_release_t emplate.aspx?FileName=press_macworld_1103.asp>

Sexy and fast.

Paul
AT
Andrew_Turek
Dec 18, 2003
I just want Bill Gates’ head on a platter. And the rest of him in a box. I don’t even want his money, although since Santa is coming to town I’d settle for a cent on every dollar, and give the rest to charity. Then, boys and girls, we need world-wide antitrust laws with teeth to make sure he never happens again.

Modest enough, don’t you think?

Andrew.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 18, 2003
Aw C’mon, Bill is a business man…a clever one at that ! Did you know that he donates computers to alot of schools accross this country ? There are many many schools that don’t get the funds to support children’s academics and him and his wife have been very charitable.
AT
Andrew_Turek
Dec 18, 2003
That’s right. He knows giving computers to schools is good business. Think Tom Lehere and "today’s young innocent faces"!

"The Cynic"
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 18, 2003
I’m not a particular fan of Mr. Gates, but he does manage a chunk of his assets in a way that benefits many others. (With humongous tax benefits to himself, of course.) The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation gives out many college scholarships to kids in this state. Our son’s girlfriend’s little sister will graduate from high school in June. She’s gotten a scholarship from the Gates Foundation that will pay the full costs (tuition, books, board and room) at any non-profit four year college in the state – either public or private. Around here, just the tuition at the private schools runs around $20,000 a year. Nice. 🙂 (But not nice enough for me to retire my Mac and buy a Windows machine, of course.)
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 18, 2003
Yes, isnt it amazing. The richest man in the world gives some money to charity. Wow, what a prince.

Especially since his computers for schools program is targeted primarily at schools that already have up to date macs, more than to places like inner city schools running apple ][es and old Tandys. I know several people who do IT in elementary schools like that and they never get offered free computers from that foundation.

Sorry, Jodi. He’s just a not a Good Person. whether you like his software or not.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 18, 2003
Yes, Jodi, I know. And do you know what percentage of his income all that amounts to?

I work for many robber barons, Jodi, and they all have charitable credentials that are impressive as the dickens and to all of them it’s about the same as if you gave someone $10 once a year. For Gates, it’s the same as if you gave someone a quarter.
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Dec 18, 2003
Especially since his computers for schools program is targeted primarily at schools that already have up to date macs

Barb I think you’re being a little harsh on Bill. After all how else can he and Microsoft further their (illegal) monopoly if not through court order? 😉

Joe

Sorry, I just couldn’t resist jumping in on this one.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 18, 2003
BTW, Jodi. FWIW, I don’t imagine Steve Jobs of apple is Mother Theresa, either. Nobody gets to those positions without being primarily a shark.
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 18, 2003
Hmmm, Barbara, maybe that’s true. Look what happened to the guy that started Palm. (senior moment, can’t remember his name)

Dick
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 18, 2003
Paul,

Thanks for that last link. I had missed it earlier. Yes they do seem pricey, but evidently worth it if you need the power. One of the reviews in resellers.com was from a guy who had purchased a $4500 laptop from them!

Dick

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections