HE
Posted By
Heather_E
Nov 4, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Aside from the usual fade in/out effect of an animated GIF, is it possible to create transition effects, for example vertical blinds, in ImageReady 7.0.1? I’m looking for effects like what is done on the Calgary Flames’ website (http://www.calgaryflames.com <http://www.calgaryflames.com>) – the right-hand column, where it says "Flames TV" there are small banner ads. If it has any relevance to an answer, I’m working on Windows NT 2000.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Z
zippy2000
Nov 4, 2003
With some effort, those effects would not be hard. Simply make the ads then create a top layer with a shape that you want to transition (ie. if you want that step-effect transition, create a vector shape with those attributes or if you want that slanted transition effect, create a vector shape rectangle with angle side IOW- parallelogram). Once you have created these vector shapes, you could bring them into IR and animate the transition…follow me? To make the animation would take some serious planning in order to get a clean transitional effect…

ZIP

PS> Beware of file size. Somthing like this could become to large for the web if you get too carried away.
SS
stephen_storer
Nov 4, 2003
….effects like what is done on the Calgary Flames’ website

Perhaps you knew this already which is why you are asking about GIF animation effects, but the Flames website is using a bit of JavaScript to enable Internet Explorer transition effects on the images. At this site those transition effects are ONLY visible in IE 5.5 or better. Other browsers will just rotate the images without the effects.
Z
zippy2000
Nov 4, 2003
Good catch, Steve!

In this case, I wouldn’t even go down that road…when effects on your webpage are limited to specific browsers, then what was the point in doing them…

You could still acheive this effect using an animated gif, but (as mentioned) you will end up creating a bloated file if your not careful.

ZIP
SS
stephen_storer
Nov 5, 2003
…then what was the point in doing them…

Well, in that IE is still the choice of a majority of web users, all of them will get this effect and others will get a more "standard" sequence of images. Effects that "degrade gracefully" in other browsers are okay, don’t you think? Especially when it doesn’t effect important content?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections