ED
Posted By
Eva_Deck
Dec 1, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am attempting to create an animation using information from Photoshop Elements Solutions by Mikkel Aaland. This is a library book and the CD is missing, but his instructions are straightforward, I think. I started with 26 layers. With "Save for Web", I reduced the size to 600 X 423 ppi, selected Gif, Selective, Diffusion, 256 colors, dither 100%. All exactly the same as the book (page 218). His file is 262K, mine is 134K. PE gives me the message: "Photoshop Elements cannot animate this document because it is too big. To save this image as an animated gif, reduce the image size or the number of layers."

I started cropping, cutting out layers, and reducing the size. But even with 3 layers and 200 X 200, I get the same message. Obviously I’m doing something wrong.

I have another book here from the library "Photoshop Elements for Dummies" and it gives essentially the same directions.

I’m sure, as in the past, I’ll get good help from the experts on this forum. Thanks. Eva

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

RC
Richard_Coencas
Dec 1, 2003
Eva,

Try reducing the number of colors in the Gif’s index palette. Also look at the resolution of the original PSD that you are trying to animate, it shouldn’t be bigger than 72ppi, since you will never be printing an animation.

Rich
ED
Eva_Deck
Dec 2, 2003
Thanks Rich,
Reducing to 72 ppi did the trick. Somehow I thought that was done automatically when you "Save for Web".

Eva
RC
Richard_Coencas
Dec 2, 2003
Eva,

That is not done until you save (for web). When you open save for web it is attempting to preview and create and optimized preview of the original full rez psd. So if that image is to large it can choke. If you don’t want to resample the original, just create a downsampled copy for the purpose of creating the animation.

Glad it worked.

Rich

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections