LJ
Posted By
Larry_J._Walker
May 2, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello everybody: Well, I’m learning how to do a few things with PSE 3.0, but have encountered an unexpected "snag". I created some "flashing neon signs" to e-mail to some friends. Some of the recipients report back, "That’s pretty neat." [and further indicating that the sign was "flashing" on their screen] Some report, " What’s it supposed to do?", or, "It’s not "flashing". ALL of the "signs" were functioning properly when I sent them. Is this some type of firewall issue on the mail recipient’s end?? Is there anything I can do on my end to assure the creation can be viewed as intended? Are there multiple reasons for this failure? I’m running XP and using Outlook Express as my e-mail client. I have limited knowledge of what the recipients are using on their end. One of the people that CANNOT view a "flashing" sign, has an iMac with OSX, I think.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JJ
Jim_J
May 3, 2005
Are they using the same browsers?

Cheers
LJ
Larry_J._Walker
May 3, 2005
To Jim Jutte: I do not know which web browser is used by each recipient. I know that all of the recipients, whose e-mail is part of a "Local Area Network", are unable to view the animation of the "sign". They all say the "sign" is there, but it does not "flash". I know that one of the people who can view the animated "sign", is running the same set-up that I use. Beyond these meager facts, I know little. Another detail about one of my correspondents is this: I have received animated GIF items that he forwarded to me, and I am able to view them with no problem. Yet, he is unable to see the animation when I send one of those items to him. Whether it is a forwarded attachment, or one of my devices, makes no difference. Thank you, Larry J. Walker
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 3, 2005
Larry, many people do not have mail programs that are capable of viewing those animations, and many people who could do so have that feature turned off for security. Try suggesting that they open them with a web browser and then they should see the animation play.
JJ
Jim_J
May 3, 2005
Larry,

Check out Barbara’s suggestion. You may have solved the issue and not even known it.

Cheers
LJ
Larry_J._Walker
May 3, 2005
Thank you Barbara and Jim: Your feedback has been most enlightening. I will inform my mail recipients that have authority over their own e-mail settings, that they might wish to review the settings selected for their security software, if they would care to receive animated e-mailings. As for the people whose e-mail is through a LAN, I will likely just compile a "Cannot receive animation" list for my own reference, to prevent me from creating something for those who will not be able to observe any special effects. I just got my copy of "PSE 3.0, The Missing Manual" yesterday. I am so new to everything computer. If, "You must crawl before you walk", I am still trying to roll over onto my stomach. Thank you again, Larry J. Walker
JJ
Jim_J
May 3, 2005
Larry,

If you have the ability to post it to a blank webpage, unless their access to the web is restricted, they can see it that way as well.

Cheers
LJ
Larry_J._Walker
May 5, 2005
Jim Jutte: I have no idea if I can post to a blank web page or not. I am really not very clever with computer tricks and web stuff. I don’t mean to sound like I’m "snubbing" anyone, but I don’t know how to post things to a blank web page. Before September, 2004, I had never sat at a computer. Just so you know what little experience I have. I am trying to learn new things, but this has been lot to learn so far and I don’t know which things I should be concentrating on, and which things I should shun, if any. Thank you, Larry J. Walker
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 5, 2005
Larry …

Often things in emails that flash on windows machines … don’t flash on Macs. I only know that because I often get sent flashing or moving attachments to emails … and on the Mac they usually don’t work.

Hopefully one of the other Mac users may be able to tell you why 🙂

….. Jim meant that if you have your own website (or have access to someone elses) then instead of sending email attachments you could just put the image on your website and let people view it there. That way there are no compatability issues with different machines … but it sounds like you don’t have your own website.

Wendy
JJ
Jim_J
May 6, 2005
Exactly… you can do this with a website like Geocities (there are millions of them out there) which gives you a template and instructions on how to upload the image to the website… With about 30 minutes of "light" study… you’ll have it down pat.

Cheers
LJ
Larry_J._Walker
May 6, 2005
Thanks Jim and Wendy, You definitely have my respect and appreciation. No, I don’t have my own website, …yet. I will file the website info as something to look into for later enhancement to my web utilization. If I get myself too far off the path I need to be following with my home improvement projects, it might delay my progress on said projects. I will devote some time in the future to the other aspects of using the computer. [ one of many mottoes often declared by procrastinators] Thanks, you have helped me in several ways, Larry J. Walker
JJ
Jim_J
May 6, 2005
Larry…

Keep us posted and let us know if you need help with anything else.

Cheers
LJ
Larry_J._Walker
May 7, 2005
Thanks Jim, you can bet I will. Larry J. Walker

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections