Posted By
Phosphor
Sep 8, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Spammers, I can ignore. No big deal.

People who don’t return to even acknowledge copious thoughtful replies really yank this junkyard dog’s chain.

🙁

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 8, 2008
Phos,

People who don’t return to even acknowledge copious thoughtful replies

I know. We even stopped sending birthday/holiday gifts to the daughter of good friends of ours when a rather nice college graduation gift went unacknowledged. A simple "Thank you!" would have kept them coming.

Note that there are others here who are more appreciative of your considerable effort. On behalf of them, thanks for taking the time to post.

Neil
R
Ram
Sep 9, 2008
What would you expect from someone who begins his/her first and only post in these forums with "Hey"?
P
Phosphor
Sep 9, 2008
The rest of the post gave me an impression that he knew a bit about what he was talking about, and he seemed earnest in his request.

I could have dismissed the rest of the post based on the basis of his informal salutation. But I didn’t, because it didn’t get up my nose like it may have for you.
Z
zerocrossing
Sep 17, 2008
Sorry about my salutation style. Perhaps your parents didn’t show you enough love? Are your friends in real life ignoring you?

The actual fact was I’ve been in Japan for 2 weeks and this is my first time I’ve had a chance to go through my email. I thought I’d be able to get back to the forum before I left but a lot of last minute stuff came up.

I’m sorry I offended people with my "Hey," but that’s just my way of trying to not come off as overly formal. I know I’m new to this forum, but the fact is I contribute to quite a few forums and perhaps even this one in the future. However the "Waa! I wasn’t thanked quickly enough for my reply I’m deleting it!" response to my question makes me think my time would be better spent elsewhere.

Forums become a knowledge base that everyone can share in via search functions. To me, they’re not about getting some pat on the back for knowing something. They’re about building that knowledge base. If we don’t feed it constant knowledge, how can the internet become sentient and take over?

And finally, yup, I’ve been using Photoshop since version 2.5 I think and I’m pretty proficient in it. I think I know a bit more than a bit about what I’m talking about and I’ve done UIs for several video games and web sites for companies including Genentech and Oracle. I was earnest in my request because I know everyone can’t know everything.

So that’s that. What I’ll probably end up doing is starting up Lightwave and just doing the job in 3d, but thanks for the… uh nothing.

Cheerio,

Mark
Z
zerocrossing
Sep 17, 2008
So getting back to your answer…

Thank you!

I was actually hoping for a tool that might totally automate the process and spit out the long strip of images I need, but looks like I’d have to go to the PC for such a tool. There’s one stand alone I found called knobman, but it’s not as flexible as I’d hoped it to be.

<http://www.g200kg.com/en/software/knobman.html>

and what I’d really like to do is use this Photoshop Plug in:

<http://www.otiumfx.com/knobrender.php>

but it’s PC only and although I have a PC it’s dedicated to music apps.
AR
alan_ruta
Sep 17, 2008
I’ve read this after zero has already responded. Either way you response was quite informative. I have to do a throbbing button, much easier than rotating. However I had done it in photoshop but will now see if illustrator give me smoother transitions.

alan
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 18, 2008
Mark,

However the "Waa! I wasn’t thanked quickly enough!" response to my question makes me think my time would be better spent elsewhere.

Forums become a knowledge base that everyone can share in via search functions. To me, they’re not about getting some pat on the back for knowing something.

Please understand that we’re a community; an unpaid self-help community of regular volunteers and occasional visitors. No Adobe staff. No one asking for $$$ for tech support. So, when someone offers up his own time to research, compose and post a detailed answer to a total stranger’s question, a reasonably prompt and sincere "Thank you!" goes a long way to building and maintaining this community. It’s just good manners. And a mark of respect that we should all have for each other.

Neil
Forum Host
AR
alan_ruta
Sep 18, 2008
Really, it wasn’t just an answer to a post. It was a long thought out response zero would never have gotten anywhere else.

There should always be a certain "Pay it forward" thing going, but a little thanks goes a long way.

alan
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Sep 18, 2008
In CS3 I do not recall if CS2 has the time line.

You can choose timeline make the movie 128 frames and make a new layer with your art add it to the time line select the layer in the time and expand it to see the transition options. Select rotation move click on the stop watch icon to make a key frame move the frame indicator to the last frame (the 128th frame) set the rotation to 360º or almost 360º and that will set a new keyframe. Run your movie and the knob will rotate.

You can then change this to a frame by frame animation and then turn the frames into layers.

But you can do this with any animation software.
P
Phosphor
Sep 18, 2008
"Forums become a knowledge base that everyone can share in via search functions. To me, they’re not about getting some pat on the back for knowing something. They’re about building that knowledge base."

Well, you don’t really seem to want to be a part of that process, or you might have considered adding to the KBase, by answering some questions and offering some contribution of your own about the subject, thereby further edifying all of us.

But you chose instead to spend more time composing a sarcastic beatdown.

You might want to be a little more careful about where you point your finger.
Z
zerocrossing
Sep 19, 2008
Did you not notice the tools I posted in one of my responses? Is that not of some help to the community?
P
Phosphor
Sep 19, 2008
evs…
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Sep 20, 2008
Zero did you read my response what you want to do is pretty easy or bring it into Illustrator and use the transform command or effect you can tell the object how much you wish it to rotate for one increment then then give it enough horizontal displacement and then how many copies then hit ok and there you are 128 knobs all rotated. You can export that as a swf.

Or bring it into After Effects or Premiere. Illustrator might be a better choice in this case because of the very powerful transform feature you can also make the individual objects into symbols. or bring the objects as layers into Photoshop.

Now you have several ways of doing this without spending $7,000 for software.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Sep 20, 2008
Not even a thank you.
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 20, 2008
zerocrossing = zeromanners
Z
zerocrossing
Sep 23, 2008
Oh my lord. I’m out of here. Frankly your help was not all that great, I was hoping for a way to automate this process.

Perhaps when you to this forum the form should say, "Please make sure you constantly check to see if there are new responses to your post and thank everyone profusely." Sorry kids, but I just don’t have the free time to give ya’ll the ass kissing that it seems you so desperately need.
P
Phosphor
Sep 23, 2008
Smell ya later, forum biscuit.

8/
P
Phosphor
Sep 23, 2008
"I was hoping for a way to automate this process."

We offered considerable thought on your task, but you failed to answer some pertinent questions that could have narrowed the focus, and expanded the resolution. I suggest that any number of us here could have provided you with a beginning-to-end tutorial on what you’re after.

If you desire good info, it’s incumbent upon you to jump in with both feet and contribute to your side of the dialogue, even if it requires you to pay more and closer attention than you might normally give. You didn’t balance your end of the seesaw, so we might only assume you just want to be handed ready-made, clairvoyantly produced solutions.

And that presumption of entitlement just doesn’t fly in most situations I can think of.

Smell ya later, forum biscuit.

8/
R
Ram
Sep 23, 2008
#6:

Ramón G Castañeda – 7:43pm Sep 8, 08 PST (#6 of 21)

What would you expect from someone who begins his/her first and only post in these forums with "Hey"?
P
Phosphor
Sep 23, 2008
"What would you expect from someone who begins his/her first and only post in these forums with "Hey"? "

I still maintain that the greeting, alone, wasn’t enough to judge by. I’m generally just as informal in a venue like this.

The rest of his participation, however, tells the tale.
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 23, 2008
Please make sure you constantly check to see if there are new responses to your post and thank everyone profusely."

All that is ever expected is a brief and simple, common courtesy, sociable "Thanks!" — particularly when someone goes out of the way to to provide help. Nothing more. It’s about mutual good manners and respect.

As for genuflecting, ring-kissing, getting up close and personal with derrieres — around here, that’s only expected if you make a bloody fortune off a tip offered here. <g>

Zero still doesn’t get it, folks, and I think we can just move on….

Neil

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections