M
Posted By
mch42
Oct 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Using Photoshop CS and the bundled Jpeg 2000 plugin, I planned to archive my scanned negatives (currently 100 MB 48-bit TIFFs) as Jpeg 2000 at Quality 70 (seems to be sufficient for consumer grade 35mm film scanned at 3600 ppi).

If I manually save a file using Quality 70 and Fast mode, the resulting file is about 12 MB. However, if I manually save it using the same Quality 70 but WITHOUT Fast Mode, the file becomes approx 55 MB.

However, the BIG problem here is that I’ve created an Action which performs the save (Q70, fast mode) — and when that action is Batched (through the File Browser, for instance), the resulting files become around 55 MB! Yet if the action is ran manually on an open image, the resulting file is 12 MB. So it seems like when the Jpeg 2000 plug-in is run from a Batch, it fails to notice the Fast Mode setting.

So, three questions:

1) is it normal that Fast Mode produces files of 1/4 – 1/5 the size of non-Fast Mode?
2) is there any way I can circumvent the apparent bug with batching the saves?
3) what’s the latest version of the Jpeg 2000 plugin, is it available for download somewhere? (haven’t found it on adobe.com)

thanks,
mch42

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JD
John Doe
Oct 20, 2004
Sounds like one of the several small bugs in Photoshop CS that Adobe refuses to release a patch to fix. The one that gets me is when you are using the save, open, save as.., save for web or one of the other file saving or opening options in Photoshop CS it doesn’t remember the directory where you last saved. So if you have several images that need to go in to the same folder you have to navigate to that folder with each save command. Photoshop 7 and before didn’t do this. Drives me up the wall. There are a few other little bugs too that still haven’t been fixed.

John

"mch42" wrote in message
Using Photoshop CS and the bundled Jpeg 2000 plugin, I planned to archive my scanned negatives (currently 100 MB 48-bit TIFFs) as Jpeg 2000 at Quality 70 (seems to be sufficient for consumer grade 35mm film scanned at 3600 ppi).

If I manually save a file using Quality 70 and Fast mode, the resulting file is about 12 MB. However, if I manually save it using the same Quality 70 but WITHOUT Fast Mode, the file becomes approx 55 MB.
However, the BIG problem here is that I’ve created an Action which performs the save (Q70, fast mode) — and when that action is Batched (through the File Browser, for instance), the resulting files become around 55 MB! Yet if the action is ran manually on an open image, the resulting file is 12 MB. So it seems like when the Jpeg 2000 plug-in is run from a Batch, it fails to notice the Fast Mode setting.
So, three questions:

1) is it normal that Fast Mode produces files of 1/4 – 1/5 the size of non-Fast Mode?
2) is there any way I can circumvent the apparent bug with batching the saves?
3) what’s the latest version of the Jpeg 2000 plugin, is it available for download somewhere? (haven’t found it on adobe.com)

thanks,
mch42

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections