ES
Posted By
Eric_Sauner
Oct 19, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello, new to the forum, I have a question regarding Photoshop 7. I need to know how to create a background that looks like it’s 3D, and it has "cut-outs" in it, which also have the 3D effect, it’s kind of hard to explain, but I hope this explains it good enough, thanks,

Eric

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

PH
Photo_Help
Oct 19, 2003
Layer -> Layer Style -> Bevel and Emboss

Take a look at the link below I believe you want the same thing.

"Need help with bevel and emboss effects!" 10/17/03 10:55pm </cgi-bin/webx?14>
ES
Eric_Sauner
Oct 19, 2003
Thanks for your reply, but I’m not sure that’s what I’m looking for; I want the cut-outs to be recessed compared to the background, while looking like it has depth….all that bevel does for me is raise it up, whereas I want these areas to be recessed, thanks again,

Eric
NB
Norbert_Bissinger
Oct 19, 2003
Try this:

Type D to set your Forground to black. But you can use any color.
1.) File New, Select Transparent.
2.) Layer-New-Layer
3.) Select the Rectangle Tool. (The one below the Type Tool.)Drag from the left upper corner down to the right lower corner.
4.) Set your Styles to Text Only. (Little triangle) Click on Chrome-Fat.
5.) Now go to Layer-Merge Down.
6.) Select the Magic Wand Tool and click inside the rectangle.
7.) Now go to Edit-Cut.

Is this what you want? Of course you can use any style and more layers with styles and cutouts.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Oct 19, 2003
Eric,

Try playing around with all the options in the Bevel and Emboss layer style and you’ll see that you can create a wide range of looks. To achieve an emboss into the background, just chooose Emboss from the style drop-down menu and change the direction to down. I think that should get you going where you want.

Regards,

Daryl
W
wes
Oct 19, 2003
Eric, have you tried this? Fill your layer with the color you want. Click on the style icon at the bottom and then on bevel and emboss. Make changes to get what you want. The edges will be changed. Now draw with the lasso tool or with custom shapes. If you draw with custom shapes, turn them into selections. With lasso or shape as selection, hit the delete key. This will remove the color and give you a bevel and emboss. If you want to fill the shapes with something, just make a new layer under the style layer.
PH
Photo_Help
Oct 20, 2003
Eric, If you want the background raised…

Duplicate the background layer (CTRL+J).
Select the area you want recessed and press the delete key, CTRL+X, or make a layer mask. No add Layer -> Layer Style -> Bevel and Emboss
Set the style to Inner Bevel or Emboss.
Set the direction (based on the remaining area) to up if you want it raised.

With those settings you will have the same image for the raised and lowered portions and you can use bevel and emboss to raise or lower the sections you want.
ES
Eric_Sauner
Oct 25, 2003
Sorry guys, that’s not the effect I want; it’s only shadowing the corners of the square, I want the whole square sunken in, 3D like, with the rest of the area raised….not sure I can do this now, thanks anyway…

Eric
DM
Don_McCahill
Oct 25, 2003
Okay, perhaps it is time for you to point us to an example of what it is you do want, so we can stop making guesses. Is there an URL to an example?
L
LenHewitt
Oct 25, 2003
ERic,

Do you mean something like:

http://www.cdds.co.uk/adobe.inner_bevel.jpg ?

If so, that is just a case of coying the innar section of the b/g to a new layer, applyinmg a layer style of inner bevel with the direction down and then putting a white square of correct dimensions on a third layer above the other two
PH
Photo_Help
Oct 25, 2003
Correction to Len’s link…

<http://www.cdds.co.uk/adobe/inner_bevel.jpg>
PH
Photo_Help
Oct 25, 2003
It sounds like maybe you just want duplicate the layer, remove a section and add a drop Shadow?

In other words you want the illusion of depth without sloping into it?
L
LenHewitt
Oct 25, 2003
Thanks, Photo….
ES
Eric_Sauner
Oct 25, 2003
Yes that is more like it, except that I want it more curved as opposed to hard edges, if that’s possible, thanks for all the help btw…

Eric
L
LenHewitt
Oct 25, 2003
Eric,

I want it more curved as opposed to hard edges, if that’s possible<<

Just apply a blur to the topmost layer – i.e. the one with the white rectangle
DM
Don_McCahill
Oct 26, 2003
And if you mean you want irregular shapes, rather than rectangular ones, you can create free-flowing shapes with the pen tool.
C
CindySingleton
Oct 26, 2003
Have you tried doing this freehand? Like take a section, hard corners for now, maybe feather edges a tiny bit, and copy paste to a new layer. Maybe make a duplicate layer of this and adjust the curves, then apply a gradient mask with the furthest recessed part darker. After you do this with all your sides merge them together, then play around with the liquify filter to make the edges more rounded. Just a theory. With shading and gradients and layers you could create the illusion of a recessed image. Sounds like a fun challenge, I’ll try it later.

~Cindy

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections