MM
Posted By
Mike_Morrell
Feb 1, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In many applications with tracks (akin to PS layers with the added element of time), especially audio applications, you can easily "solo" a track so that it is isolated from the others.

Is there a way to solo layers in PSCS2? Obviously, you can turn off all layers visibility except for the ones that you wish to solo. But when you have a PSD file with 30 or more layers, it is a pain to do this effectively.

In audio apps you have both a "mute" (toggle on off like eyeball) and a solo switch for each layer. Is there a "hidden" method in PS to do the same type of functions with layers?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Feb 1, 2007
Alt-click on the eyeball on the layer you want to remain visible and the others will be turned off.
L
LenHewitt
Feb 1, 2007
There’s also the script "Layer comps to files" that will save each layer to its own file
MM
Mike_Morrell
Feb 1, 2007
Ed, thank you. This is not quite as good as having both solo and mute buttons, but it is a BIG help.

Len, nice tip. I don’t often stray over to the scripts. There are some handy things in there.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Feb 1, 2007
Mike, <br><br>If I understand what you mean, which is to not only make a layer active, but also make it the only one visible, then that’s a two-step process in Photoshop. Just Alt-Click on the visibility "eye" icon for that layer and then click on the layer itself to make it active. You also have to consider grouped layers: From what I can tell, alt-clicking the visibility icon for a layer within a group will hide all other layers, including those of other groups. However, alt-clicking the vibility icon for a layer at what I’ll call the root level of the palette will only hide other root layers plus hide the groups, rather than the layers within them. If you play with Alt-Click a little, I think you’ll more easily see what happens. Hopefully that is what you’re after. <br><br>Regards, <br><br>Daryl

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections