Posted By
jahcells
Jul 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi everyone,

I’m preparing to put together a system geared towards editing large files in PS as well other graphic-based functions. I was hoping for some input on the potential build which includes:

Processors:
Dual AMD Opteron Model 146, 1MB L2 Cache 64-bit Processors

Motherboard:
TYAN "Thunder K8W

Memory:
6 GIGS of Crucial 400DDR.
Allocated as follows – 2 for Photoshop, 3 for RAMDISK for PS scratch disk, and 1 FOR OS.

Hard Drives:
2 Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA in RAID 0 and a Western Digital 200GB 7200rpm SATA for deep storage

DVD/CD ROM:
NEC 8X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive & Lite-On Black 52X32X52X16 Combo Drive

Video Card:
ATI RADEON 9600XT

Power Supply:
Antec 480W

Questions:
1. Any recommended alterations to the above?
2. Is the 3 GIGS to RAMDISK for the PS scratch disk valuable move since editing large files?
3. What other motherboard, without PCI-X, could be substituted for the Thunder K8W? (Keeping in mind the amount of SATA drives (4), and the amount of ram (6 sticks).)
4. Would it be beneficial to use socket 939 chips instead of 940.
5. What advantages, if any, would there be if an ATI 9800
(XT/PRO/ETC) is substituted for the 9600XT in a PS environment?

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts,

Scott

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

EG
Eric Gill
Jul 15, 2004
(Ashley) wrote in news:bb93b931.0407142217.175705c5
@posting.google.com:

Questions:

3 UltraSCSI 320 15K drives for the RAID 0. 3 is the sweet spot performance wise, plus mucho lower CPU utilization than SATA.

U320 PCI-X card, of course.

2. Is the 3 GIGS to RAMDISK for the PS scratch disk valuable move since editing large files?

Sure.

3. What other motherboard, without PCI-X, could be substituted for the Thunder K8W? (Keeping in mind the amount of SATA drives (4), and the amount of ram (6 sticks).)

There might be one out there, but I’m unaware of it.

Not much unless you can get this motherboard in 939.

5. What advantages, if any, would there be if an ATI 9800 (XT/PRO/ETC) is substituted for the 9600XT in a PS environment?

DOOM3 would work much better. Photoshop-wise, zip.

Something else – fill *all* the RAM slots with DDR-400.

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=thunderk8w&am p;page=2

Done right, that’s one hell of a sweet system.
DF
Derek Fountain
Jul 15, 2004
2. Is the 3 GIGS to RAMDISK for the PS scratch disk valuable move
since editing large files?

Sure.

Why? Surely the memory management system inside Photoshop isn’t so dumb as to use the scratch disk when there’s gobs of free RAM going spare? Why not just hand the 3GB over to Photoshop for normal use?
EG
Eric Gill
Jul 15, 2004
Derek Fountain wrote in
news:40f683f7$0$1297$:

Sure.

Why? Surely the memory management system inside Photoshop isn’t so dumb as to use the scratch disk when there’s gobs of free RAM going spare? Why not just hand the 3GB over to Photoshop for normal use?

Because it would use a little less than 2GB and no more.

Until both Windows and Photoshop are re-coded for 64-bit memory space, we’re stuck with that limit. In fact, I am assuming he knows that he needs special software to let Windows use that much RAM in the first place.

Even mighty OSX will currently allow only about 2GB per process, though the system can have lots more in it.
B
bagal
Jul 16, 2004
then wait for windows XP 64 bit

I’d be tempted to hold back for a while

just to make sure that everything runs sweet on 64 bit drivers

Artie

"Eric Gill" wrote in message
(Ashley) wrote in news:bb93b931.0407142217.175705c5
@posting.google.com:

Questions:

3 UltraSCSI 320 15K drives for the RAID 0. 3 is the sweet spot performance wise, plus mucho lower CPU utilization than SATA.

U320 PCI-X card, of course.

Sure.

There might be one out there, but I’m unaware of it.

Not much unless you can get this motherboard in 939.

5. What advantages, if any, would there be if an ATI 9800 (XT/PRO/ETC) is substituted for the 9600XT in a PS environment?

DOOM3 would work much better. Photoshop-wise, zip.

Something else – fill *all* the RAM slots with DDR-400.

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=thunderk8w&am p;page=2
Done right, that’s one hell of a sweet system.
T
Terry
Jul 27, 2004
I’m preparing to put together a system geared towards editing large files in PS as well other graphic-based functions. I was hoping for some input on the potential build which includes:

Processors:
Motherboard:
TYAN "Thunder K8W

Memory:
Allocated as follows – 2 for Photoshop, 3 for RAMDISK for PS scratch disk, and 1 FOR OS.

Hard Drives:
2 Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA in RAID 0 and a Western Digital 200GB 7200rpm SATA for deep storage

Scott,

Sounds like you get an excellent system as far as the hardware goes. It perhaps pays to give it some efforts in optimizing the operating system, assuming you will be getting Windows XP.

I would split the hard drives into several partitions. Then split the Windows paging file (over 6G) across several partitions on 2 separate drives. Disable features that you don’t need in Windows XP since there are a lot of programs running in the background. Too keep a system clean, install as few programs as possible.

One thing to be aware of is spyware. I have seen quite a few fast machines got hijacked by spyware lately. Those nasty programs can bring your machine to a halt regardless.

Hope this helps,

Terry

www.PhotoRevamp.com
A
adykes
Jul 27, 2004
In article ,
Terry wrote:

Processors:
Motherboard:
TYAN "Thunder K8W

Memory:

Hard Drives:

Scott,

Sounds like you get an excellent system as far as the hardware goes. It perhaps pays to give it some efforts in optimizing the operating system, assuming you will be getting Windows XP.

I would split the hard drives into several partitions. Then split the Windows paging file (over 6G) across several partitions on 2 separate drives. Disable features that you don’t need in Windows XP since there are a lot of programs running in the background. Too keep a system clean, install as few programs as possible.

One thing to be aware of is spyware. I have seen quite a few fast machines got hijacked by spyware lately. Those nasty programs can bring your machine to a halt regardless.

Hope this helps,

Terry

www.PhotoRevamp.com

Splitting the swap file into partitions on a disk, or putting it in it’s own partition isn’t a plus because it forces the disk head to do a long seek, which is about the slowest thing you can ask your machine to do.

Splitting a pagefile across C and another disk should be a plus but I’ve never checked.

In a system with lots of disks the generality is to put the swap file on your fastest, least used disk (or disks).

On a system with what amounts to a dedicated swap disk I freqently put the system-wide TEMP folder on the same disk becasue when it’s unsed, it’s really busy, and there is a very high probability that the data will be read back at least once, soon.

Tuning a system to this degree is very specific to your software, and what task you want to speed up, and is an art.

perfmon.exe is your friend.

Al Dykes
———–
adykes at p a n i x . c o m

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections