RM
Posted By
Robert Montgomery
Oct 18, 2011
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have files that are shown in the Finder as being about 2.5 megs, but in Pshop – in Image > Image Size > Pixel Dimensions, the size is about 34 megs.

Another contradiction is that my camera is a 12-megabyte camera, and I have the image size set to 12 megabytes in the camera (3,000 by 4,000 pixels = 12,000,000 piexls, yet those files after uploading to my Mac show as 2.5-megabyte files in my Mac Finder, which are shown as 34-meg files in Pshop’s Pixel Dimension.

What’s the explication for these bizarre contradiction?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

D
dorayme
Oct 19, 2011
In article <j7l2vv$f3u$>,
Robert Montgomery wrote:

I have files that are shown in the Finder as being about 2.5 megs, but in Pshop ­ in Image > Image Size > Pixel Dimensions, the size is about 34 megs.

M refers to megapixels, the number of pixels, not the file size.

Another contradiction is that my camera is a 12-megabyte camera, and I have the image size set to 12 megabytes in the camera (3,000 by 4,000 pixels = 12,000,000 piexls, yet those files after uploading to my Mac show as 2.5-megabyte files in my Mac Finder, which are shown as 34-meg files in Pshop’s Pixel Dimension.

dorayme
J
Jonz
Oct 19, 2011
On 10/18/2011 5:07 PM, dorayme wrote:
In article<j7l2vv$f3u$>,
Robert Montgomery wrote:

I have files that are shown in the Finder as being about 2.5 megs, but in Pshop ­ in Image> Image Size> Pixel Dimensions, the size is about 34 megs.

There is no contradiction here. Your camera has a 12MB sensor and a 4,000 X 3,000 pixel image is, indeed, approximately 12MB pixels as you have stated.

The 2.5MB file is because you are shooting and storing JPG files which are compressed prior to storing on disk. If you were shooting RAW, the image size on the computer disk would be approximately 12MB.

The 34MB files shown by Photoshop is the total of all three color channels R-G-B. 12MB pixels X 3 (1 for each channel) is approximately 34MB.

Jonz
RM
Robert Montgomery
Oct 19, 2011
Jonz wrote:
On 10/18/2011 5:07 PM, dorayme wrote:
In article<j7l2vv$f3u$>,
Robert Montgomery wrote:

I have files that are shown in the Finder as being about 2.5 megs, but in Pshop ­ in Image> Image Size> Pixel Dimensions, the size is about 34 megs.

There is no contradiction here. Your camera has a 12MB sensor and a 4,000 X 3,000 pixel image is, indeed, approximately 12MB pixels as you have stated.

The 2.5MB file is because you are shooting and storing JPG files which are compressed prior to storing on disk. If you were shooting RAW, the image size on the computer disk would be approximately 12MB.
The 34MB files shown by Photoshop is the total of all three color channels R-G-B. 12MB pixels X 3 (1 for each channel) is approximately 34MB.
Jonz

Thanks, Jonz and Dorayme.

At last the mystery is unraveled! Terrific!

Robert
RH
Robert Hubert
Oct 19, 2011
http://www.roberthubert.fr/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Robert Montgomery" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion : j7l2vv$f3u$

I have files that are shown in the Finder as being about 2.5 megs, but in Pshop – in Image > Image Size > Pixel Dimensions, the size is about 34 megs.

S
Savageduck
Oct 19, 2011
On 2011-10-18 23:54:30 -0700, "Robert Hubert" said:

http://www.roberthubertLESPAM.fr/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<< Le Snip >>

It seems that Robert Hubert has taken it upon himself to parasitically ride on another’s OP to spread his web presence.

So Robert, is this more of your new French SPAMMING technique as demonstrated in another group?

Robert, post your own OP, that way we won’t be confused with your feeble attempt at SPAM.

Regards,

Savageduck

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections