Upgrade to CS: Parts better than the whole?

C
Posted By
Carygee
Nov 2, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
As a user of PS-7, AI-10 and ID-3, I am looking forward to upgrading this triumvirate. Question is, do I buy the Design CS package with "Version Cue" ($549) or just 3 separate upgrade packages (3×170=$510) for $40 less.

I understand that the separate route also provides printed guides which the Design CS package does not. True?

Bottom line I guess is what does the extra $40 get me. Or what exactly does Version Cue do and would I benefit from having it as I do not work in a networked business environment btw.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

SI
stupid_idiot
Nov 2, 2003
well, so far I am somewhat disappointed in the Premium Suite package….really, the only incentive is free shipping which might actually cost $25. No manuals.

I have only had everything installed about 24 hours…I trust ID 3.0 will be worth it….and Illustrator is very, very exciting…but, the rest is sort of a let down….PS 7.0 has done me quite
well….and, it seems many of the new features are fluff.

But, again, if I were to do it again, I would have just purchased Illy and ID.

my 2c.

"Carygee" wrote in message
As a user of PS-7, AI-10 and ID-3, I am looking forward to upgrading this triumvirate. Question is, do I buy the Design CS package with "Version Cue" ($549) or just 3 separate upgrade packages (3×170=$510) for $40 less.
I understand that the separate route also provides printed guides which the Design CS package does not. True?

Bottom line I guess is what does the extra $40 get me. Or what exactly does Version Cue do and would I benefit from having it as I do not work in a networked business environment btw.

Thanks!

R
Roberto
Nov 2, 2003
Well, the cost of shipping the seperate packages could eat up the $40 difference, it just depends on how and where you ship them.

As for the manuals, they are on the CDs in PDF which for me is better since they are searchable. Adobe or that matter any other company has never put out a manual that was worth reading from cover to cover. For that 3rd party books are better since you can choose the author, layout and writing style you like best.

As for Version Cue I really don’t know if that is something a lot of people are going to use or not. I don’t think I would, but that is me.

You do get GoLive CS and Acrobat Pro 6 with the premium suite. For me Acrobat is something I wouldn’t want to be without it is too handy.

In the end, this is a choice only you can make. I wouldn’t let the printed user’s guide be a deciding factor.

As for Photoshop CS I think it is a very nice upgrade with some great new features. Interestingly while there are some great new features I am finding the small things I like best. Like the two new resampling options in image resize, things like that.

Robert
BK
Barry Kelsall
Nov 4, 2003
Also consider that by buying the parts you are free to buy just the parts you need in the future – if you upgrade your copy of PS to the suite, you are giving up your license to the stand alone PS app & will be forced to upgrade the entire suite in the future. Pretty slick tactic on the part of Microsoft, err, I mean Aldus, err, I mean Adobe
C
Carygee
Nov 9, 2003
Are you sure about this business of losing one’s license to upgrade the individual components of the CS in the future? I didn’t see any warning signs re this on the box etc.

This is a bummer if true.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections