S
Posted By
Smurfy
Dec 21, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Say there’s a portion of a logo I need to use, but the only raw material I have to work with is a PDF. Granted, it’s not rasterized, so the information is vector-based, which is good, but how do I go about importing only that specific shape, as a shape, into Photoshop for use in a new document?

I tried opening the PDF in Illustrator, then selecting the shape using the Direct Selection tool, and dragging it into my opened Photoshop document… that’ll work, but only as a smart layer. I’m not all that well-versed in smart layers, but from what I understand, the second document is now dependant on the first. My PSD file won’t be self-sufficient. Or did I understand that part wrong?

Either way, what would’ve been the RIGHT way to go from A to B, and end up with a SHAPE layer in Photoshop?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
bdchmura
Dec 22, 2008
Hi:

Like Bob said, Copy/Paste into PShop and select the Shape Layer checkbox to retain vector capabilities.
quite easy.

Gar

Adam wrote:
Say there’s a portion of a logo I need to use, but the only raw material I have to work with is a PDF. Granted, it’s not rasterized, so the information is vector-based, which is good, but how do I go about importing only that specific shape, as a shape, into Photoshop for use in a new document?
I tried opening the PDF in Illustrator, then selecting the shape using the Direct Selection tool, and dragging it into my opened Photoshop document… that’ll work, but only as a smart layer. I’m not all that well-versed in smart layers, but from what I understand, the second document is now dependant on the first. My PSD file won’t be self-sufficient. Or did I understand that part wrong?

Either way, what would’ve been the RIGHT way to go from A to B, and end up with a SHAPE layer in Photoshop?

F
Fred
Dec 22, 2008

If you place, drag, copy/paste something in PS as a smartobject, this object is embedded in the psd-file.
You are NOT dependant of another file.
If you double-click the smartobject-layer the associated program will launch and open the object. (not the one you copied from!)
The ‘base’-object remains in the psd-file.
S
Smurfy
Dec 23, 2008
"Fred" wrote in message
If you place, drag, copy/paste something in PS as a smartobject, this object is embedded in the psd-file.
You are NOT dependant of another file.
If you double-click the smartobject-layer the associated program will launch and open the object. (not the one you copied from!) The ‘base’-object remains in the psd-file.

Good to know, thanks!
S
Smurfy
Dec 23, 2008
Yup, that did it. Thanks!

"gar" wrote in message
Hi:

Like Bob said, Copy/Paste into PShop and select the Shape Layer checkbox to retain vector capabilities.
quite easy.

Gar

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections