IB
Posted By
iVan_B.
Dec 8, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am very pleased to report that after 50 hours of testing I was finally able to solve the issue of slow Photoshop. At least on my computer, that is. And as fate would have it, it was the very last thing I tried that made a difference

Before I go into great lengths about why and how, I’ll name the culprit: Kaspersky Antivirus 7.0 has a compatibility issue with CS4. At least it did on my computer. With it installed, Photoshop would run like a sloth; it would experience hangs, hiccups, delays when using any brush-based tools and crappy screen redraws and an overall poor performance. It was unusable, in fact.

First about my system: I own a pimped out HP Pavilion Elite m9180f boasting 8GB of RAM, an Intel Core2 Quad 2.66GHz processor, an nVidia 8800 GT 512MB graphics card, with 1.3 TB hard drive storage, Vista Home Premium 64bit, a built-in wireless, TV tuner and a whole slew of other cards I’ll never use. Not to bad for a box of tin.

Did I mention it’s also pretty?

Anyway, some time ago I saved an image of my C drive featuring a minty-fresh installation of Vista, and some basic programs I always use (office, antivirus, Spyder, Wacom, Printer driver, etc…). So after Photoshop CS4 turned out to be a dud, I loaded that image to get a fast install.

Installed Photoshop again but it was still slow. This was the point I started blaming my video card.

So, after spending a better chunk of one afternoon reading a single thread on the issue of slow PS CS4, having found no answers, I looked up a shop that was willing to stick a video card from a different vendor for free (well, I’d have to pay for it if it worked) to see if it was a card issue, as few have suggested.

It wasn’t. So a full systems check was suggested by a shop techie. It revealed that my power supply was “sweating like a herd of elephants locked in a sauna” to quote a famous PS guru, Deke McPhotoshop Bible.

Techie swore with his mother dentures that overworked, underpaid power supply might one day bring a gun to the office and start shooting people at random. Or slow don a computer to say the least. Skeptical at that statement, I couldn’t deny that I juiced the machine beyond the specks of the power supply, so I swapped it.

But it was still a dud. Photoshop wouldn’t budge.

Have you ever threw so much money and pride on a new computer that you just had to make it work, even if it meant nuclear exchange? Well, I was proliferating at this point, to say the least. So I rolled up my sleeves and started a 50 hour battle.

I migrated the documents onto a refugee hard drive and formatted the C drive. Installed the OS, then Photoshop – it worked!

Basically I started installing everything back, every card, driver and child – one by one, taking images every once in a while so I could restore to the previous state. I would install Photoshop and do a same test for speed every time.

Long story short, once Kaspersky AV 7.0 got loaded I was out of software to install. But that broke camel’s back. Tried uninstalling Kaspersky and Photoshop took off.

So I loaded my very first image and removed Kaspersky there. Sure enough – it fixed the problem.

In the process I have eliminated all hardware as an issue including, Acronis True Image, Wacom tablet, Nero 8, Google Earth, Office 2007, Audacity, Daemon Tools 4 lite, Spyder Pro3, Diskkeeper 2008, Efficient WMA MP3 converter, DNG converter, HP Photosmart printer D7260, Logiteck quickcam, TeamViewer, APC uninterrupted power supply ES 750, WinRAR, Garmin Mapsource, IE, Netscape, Opera, Safari, Firefox, Skype, and that neighbor that just won’t stop blasting Britney on his stereo.

I win!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

ND
Nick_Decker
Dec 8, 2008
Congratulations, Ivan!

Now, what anti-virus program do you plan on using?
DE
David_E_Crawford
Dec 8, 2008
You rock Ivan!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🙂
IB
iVan_B.
Dec 8, 2008
I’ll start with AVG since it’s free. Which sucks as I still have 6 paid months of Kaspersky subscription left. I’ll write to them (and Adobe) to see if they can come up with a dialog that would eventually solve the issue (hopefully before my 6 months is up).

D’ya think Adobe guys speak Rooskee?

Thanks everyone from the "Photoshop CS4 is a disaster" thread that cheered me on. You kept me going (don’t even bother reading the whole thread, it’s well over 350 posts)

And sorry about the chicken. Really! It was my favorite pet.
F
Freeagent
Dec 8, 2008
Fantastic, iVan. We owe you.

Even if this shouldn’t fix it for everybody, it’s a big piece in the puzzle and something to follow up on.

So let’s see what people are using. Me, Avast on both machines. CS4 OK.
S
Sweetc
Dec 8, 2008
Sorry ,
I Just finished testing this method out
& well,…no dice.
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 8, 2008
Just out of interest, I have Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2009 on my Vista computer and no problems at all. Photoshop is faster than a speeding bullet!

However it is version 8.0.0.454. On my XP machine I have Symantec Corporate anti virus. 9.0.0.338 also no problem.
HH
Hugh Hansard
Dec 8, 2008
iVan, great job. again, get some sleep….

….now I must spill some bad news…

Under no circumstances have I ever run any AVP with PS CS, CS2, CS3 or CS4. The only way I was able to speed things up was disabling OGL and "Documents as Tabs." I do agree that AVP can slow-things-down, but it did not solve my issues….

H
IB
iVan_B.
Dec 8, 2008
Well, I wanted to make sure, so I formatted the drive one last time. Installed PsCS4 and it ran fine. Than I added Kaspersky and it killed it. I uninstalled Kasperski -problem gone.

Maybe it’s a fact it’s a Vista 64 version of Kaspersky. Or maybe Uninstalling everything and doing it the way I did makes a dif.

In any case I have no problem anymore, and I have a nice clean image of my Hard Drive.

Sorry to hear about it not working for you, though. Did it work for anyone at all?
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Dec 8, 2008
FWIW, on XP SP3 (32bit) CS4, on the relevant computers I have McAfee internet security. Not disabled during CS4 install. C$4 runs fine now on desktop and laptop.

Rob

PS: yes: C$4, for I’m in Europe.
P
Phosphor
Dec 8, 2008
Kudos for doing the work, iVan. If there’s any justice, someone with similar cause for problems will wander in here and find your research and solution works for them as well.

And it’s a good bone for the Adobe engineers to gnaw on as they squash problems. Expect a response from Adam or Chris, and maybe some follow-up questions. Please continue to check back on this thread for awhile.
BL
Bill_Lamp
Dec 8, 2008
As a side note, BitDefender can be turned completely off.

Bill, about to try CS-4 with an olde Nvidia 7300 GS card AFTER I find out if the MB will take a recommended card.
P
ProArtist
Dec 8, 2008
Kaspersky Antivirus slows ALL systems and programs down. Its a rather intense AV that i tend to avoid these days.

Try NOD32 for a good AV thats light and fast on most systems.

I’m glad you found the problem on your system but I think these issues go beyond Anti Virus software issues.
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 8, 2008
Kaspersky Antivirus slows ALL systems and programs down.

Except mine apparently!
CH
CR_Henderson
Dec 8, 2008
iVan B.:I’ll start with AVG since it’s free. Which sucks as I still have 6 paid months of Kaspersky subscription left. I’ll write to them (and Adobe) to see if they can come up with a dialog that would eventually solve the issue (hopefully before my 6 months is up).

I use Kaspersky–an older version 7.0.0.125 that doesn’t expire for another year and I have a couple of questions.

Did you try tuning Kaspersky at all, i.e. turn off testing for image folders, scratch disk, etc?

Did you try disabling real time protection while running PS CS4?

Or did you just install/test/uninstall/test?

I’m wondering if it is just the ‘checking’ Kaspersky does or if it is something triggered just by having Kaspersky installed?
DN
David_Nicol
Dec 9, 2008
I’m running PS CS4 on two computers with Windows XP SP3, each with totally different hardware, including different graphics cards. One has Norton AV 2003, the other has Avast. Photoshop lags on both. Haven’t tried uninstalling the AV programs yet (and I’m obviously reluctant to do so). But if Kaspersky was the problem for Ivan and he claims removing it is the solution, then the circumstantial evidence is that virus scanners in general are the problem. If so, then back to Adobe’s engineers to test whether this is the case, because it isn’t realistic to use Photoshop without AV scanners, especially now that Adobe insists on an Internet connection to acces Help.
FN
Fred_Nirque
Dec 9, 2008
Run the Net off a laptop (or an old box – speed is hardly necessary) and Ps on its own machine that doesn’t go anywhere near virusville. No AV or firewall necessary then, so problem solved.

I don’t even use networking off the Ps box any more, just transfer anything destined for the Web using my camera’s 8GB CF cards. Quicker than any wireless mumbo jumbo, and rock stable without all the hocus pocus that Windows goes through to connect one or more machines together.

The computer runs smooth and fast without all the crap that safe browsing dictates one must have installed these days, even though it’s now an old machine in current terms.

Not a solution for a multi-desk workplace, granted, but for a single desk, perfect.
RP
Russell_Proulx
Dec 9, 2008
Fred,

Why not a wired router? Hardware firewall included. fwiw some of the nastiest viruses out there are transferred via memory cards so I wouldn’t feel too safe with your solution. Also, running PS on a system that’s not connected to a network just won’t work in a multi PC production environment.
ND
Nick_Decker
Dec 9, 2008
Also, running PS on a system that’s not connected to a network just won’t work in a multi PC production environment.

Agreed. I tried to isolate my PS computer for a while years ago, thinking to not expose my work machine to viruses, but it just gets too complicated. I need to download/upload files to/from clients, and I have to have my work box connected to the net.

Can I say that these virus makers need to be hung by their balls until they die?
AR
Anthony Ralph
Dec 9, 2008
I am sure I have read somewhere (on this forum – I thought) that anti-virus software *can* be too keen on watching over every file as it is being used thus slowing things down and that the solution is to add Photoshop files to the exclusion list of the protection shield.

It could tie-in with Ivan’s (very excellent) detective work and findings re: Kaspersky. It might just explain why others don’t have the same result whilst running Kaspersky.

Anyway, well done Ivan!

Anthony.
IB
iVan_B.
Dec 9, 2008
Wishful thinking. They don’t have the balls!

I use Kaspersky–an older version 7.0.0.125 that doesn’t expire for another year and I have a couple of questions.

Mine was the 7.0 version as well. Not sure what dot release goes past 7.0, but it couldn’t be much different. Given that Kaspersky AV seems to cause no hardships on so many other machines, I would say it’s a combination of it in conjunction with a hardware config I have.

Did you try tuning Kaspersky at all, i.e. turn off testing for image folders, scratch disk, etc?

No, I haven’t. I was so glad to have finally isolated it as a source of my hair loss over the past five days (well four days and a few sleepless nights, actually); I just couldn’t be bothered with it anymore. I’ll run AVG for a while ’till I muster up some strength to get back at it and try some tweaks.

BTW, this is a second major issue I had with this antivirus. First one was when it identified a Spyder file as a threat and jammed it into a quarantine. Had to reinstall to fix the issue.

Did you try disabling real time protection while running PS CS4?

No, but I’ll make sure I try that next time I feel like tinkering. My first concern now is to get a nice clean image of a working hard drive so I can quickly recover from a ducking fisaster if need be.

Or did you just install/test/uninstall/test?

Kinda. But with a twist. I would create a hard drive in-between images so I could get back to certain steps in my testing so as not to leave any registry crumbs behind. Kind of like a non-linear history option in Photoshop. Only it takes forever…

I’m wondering if it is just the ‘checking’ Kaspersky does or if it is something triggered just by having Kaspersky installed?

That’s a very good point. Thank you.

So, all in all, I only solved my own issue, is it? Well that sucks. Had I known, I wouldn’t have been so vigilant in my efforts.

So, y’all with slow Ps, still the same?

I have a strong feeling it’s not the hardware issue though, even with your systems. If you can get your hands on a ghosting program, I say create an image of your hard drive and then reinstall OS. Check if Ps runs fine, and that’ll be your litmus test. If not, then you can blame the hardware/drivers, and you’ll still have that image to go back to the future.
F
Freeagent
Dec 9, 2008
What you did, iVan, was to pretty much eliminate hardware configuration as a factor. Everybody should now concentrate on software conflicts.

When I wrote my congratulation post yesterday I didn’t for a split second think that "Kaspersky" was the final solution to everybody’s problems. But Photoshop is apparently sensitive to conflicts, and that’s a very valuable piece of information for further troubleshooting.

So I stand by my congratulation.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 9, 2008
ayup. 🙂
FN
Fred_Nirque
Dec 9, 2008
Yep, I said that re multi-desk environments.

Wired router? -got enough wires already, and all I transfer to the Ps computer is Adobe updates. Most of the traffic is the other way – images from Ps to the laptop/internet. I have AV on the laptop, anyway, and a firewall, so any incoming from the virusweb is always subject to scrutiny at the laptop gate.

Been running that way for over a year now, and though the laptop has been nailed a couple of times (I sure don’t use Avast! anymore), the desktop Ps machine has been completely spared and runs stable and well. Since switching back to AVG on the laptop I’ve had no problems, and even though it might give a false alarm from time to time, I’d rather have that than no alarm at all. 8)

I only brought this up because if Kaspersky in fact is the culprit here, it just continues over a decade’s long history of AV software causing conflicts and weird stuff at a rate that almost makes prevention worse than the disease. I’m thinking of the sleep deprivation and time iVan has just spent here.

Since divesting my working machine of the Net and its attendant AV, firewalls, hidden updates and persistent Net calls from just about every program one installs, I’ve had peace and quiet and reliability in my working environment. It’s not hard to check for updates and download them manually, anyway.

Equally, now I that don’t have any work programs on the Laptop, I’m not constantly phoning here, there and everywhere checking for "updates" without my knowledge, and XP on the desktop computer doesn’t need the constant torrent of updates from M$ to prevent "an attacker gaining control" of my machine.

The old laptop they’re welcome to….. it’s no big deal to reformat and reinstall a stable image, as nothing important is at risk of loss doing this on that machine. Whenever I do download an update that contains an executable, I always run it on the laptop first to make sure its not dumping a trojan or worse in the background, apart from doing an AV scan.
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 9, 2008
then the circumstantial evidence is that virus scanners in general are the problem

It is dangerous to jump to conclusions.

While admitting that AV programs can and do cause problems, the conclusion that the presence of Kaspersky is causing CS4 slow-downs is not borne out by the evidence so far.

It may be the settings, it may be interaction with other programs or services, or it may be coincidence.

It’s obvious some posters here are less experienced with proper, systematic trouble-shooting!
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 9, 2008
Forgive me if I missed it, but has anyone with the notorious slow-down actually listed the Processes running when the symptoms are noticed?
CF
chris_farrell
Dec 9, 2008
Just goes to show that the issues are NOT necessarily Adobes fault.

Good job iVan.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Dec 9, 2008
Interesting to say the least! Good job, Ivan.

On the A/V note, I ran into a problem with Panda A/V which required I stop part of the service called Tru-Prevent. Kaspersky has a similar part to their service. However, I tried to install with and without Panda running; I disconnected from the the Internet entirely and it made no difference on my installation problems.

Because I do not know if my installation actually is complete, I can’t say without reservation much about the performance. It does basically run well on a 32 bit system. I don’t have a card that will run 3D so those features are grayed out. It loads faster than CS3 by a hair, if at all.

Ivan, Kaspersky has a function which isolates unknown possible viruses. It’s their version of Tru-Prevent. Mine is turned off. If you still have it installed, can you turn off that part and see what happens? With Tru-Prevent running, suddenly a number of programs won’t run at all. CS3 runs, CS3 Bridge won’t.

I’m going to turn it on and see how and if it interferes with CS4.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Dec 9, 2008
Same thing with CS4. Photoshop runs, Bridge doesn’t.

It’s characterized as "Protection against unknown threats" in both A/V systems, Panda and Kaspersky.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Dec 9, 2008
With Protection against Unknown Threats off (Tru-Prevent), both CS3 and 4 load in 2-3 sec, with CS4 about 2 sec, with it on, both load slightly over 3 sec.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 9, 2008
PS: Another item nobody mentioned is fonts.

ivan did in the disaster thread. 2000+ fonts if i recall correctly…
F
Freeagent
Dec 9, 2008
Yes, but did he mention all of them?
P
Phosphor
Dec 9, 2008
Correlation != causation.

© some poster on Slashdot.
IB
iVan_B.
Dec 9, 2008
Lawrence

I’m afraid I don’t have Kaspersky on mhy computer anymore, so i can’t test it. I do however sgill have an image of my hard drive with it on, perhaps I could load it back and test it one of these days. I’m just too swamped with work to spend any more time on it at this point though.

Sorry about the typos, I’m thumbing on my phone browser
FN
Fred_Nirque
Dec 9, 2008
Chris appears to have confirmed, iVan, well done!

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b71909/30>

(post #32)
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 9, 2008
See my comment.

I had Kaspersky AV running on my Vista 64 machine during an uneventful installation of Photoshop CS4 and ever since. I have yet to see any slow down or other kind of misbehaviour.
P
ProArtist
Dec 10, 2008
John, if you think KAV isnt slowing your system, i suggest running without it for a while. It does slow down the system. All AV’s do to some degree (some more than others). You get used to it over the time because its something we all have to deal with unfortunately. KAV also does some scary things with the file system that microsoft does not recommend because it can cause disk corruption. KAV says its fine and it helps performance, but theres a big stink about it because many have had problems with data loss.

Personally, I like KAV and have had many licenses of it over the years because its a great antivirus program. It is a bit heavy though. Its far better than Norton etc… and even NOD32.

My AV license just ran out and actually this time i’m using the new NOD32. I know i said KAV is better than nod32… which it has been in the past (several years ago) but i figured i would try nod32 again because historically NOD32 has been very fast and light on systems due to it being written in in ASM.

We’ll see how it does as an AV… but so far it is faster than KAV and Avast.

I’m one of those impatient types that hate running AV’s all together because of the performance hit. Sometimes i go "commando" into the world 🙂 but… then reality hits… and i have to restore my drive image 😉
EB
Erbs_Bischof
Dec 10, 2008
Deinstalled Kaspersky 7.0.
It improved handling delays, choppy feel and sluggishness but does NOT eliminate it.
It´s still at an unacceptable speed compared to CS 1.

Reinstalled Kaspersky, CS4 is back at super slideshow. Ho hum.

PAAAAAAATCH!!!!!!!
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 10, 2008
Or find the right settings that don’t mess up Photoshop.
EB
Erbs_Bischof
Dec 10, 2008
All my other Apps seem to cooperate with my AVs setting quite happily. Including ALL other Adobe progs.

And: If completely deactivating my AV doesn´t change CS4s behaviour, how can deactivating certain parts of the AV be of any help ?

And, frankly, I have it up to here with tweaking settings. After reading hundreds of posts and spending hours and hours tweaking my settings and their mathematically possible combinations, I come to the inevitable conclusion: PATCH.

And all of you, who are happy with CS4 as it is: Great, go celebrate. I stare at my 800 Euro Screensaver in the meantime.

Kudos to iVan, though. Admire your patience!
Are you a Buddhist?

Cheers
Erbs
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 10, 2008
… go celebrate.

I’m not celebrating; I’m here trying to help people troubleshoot, albeit from the disadvantaged situation that nothing’s wrong at this end. 🙁
EB
Erbs_Bischof
Dec 10, 2008
Alright, John, you stay and help.
All the others go celebrate, then. 😉
I know I will, when this is over.

Cheers and santé!
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Dec 10, 2008
JJ, how fast does CS4 load? Other programs? Which version of Vista?

Thanks.
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 10, 2008
Photoshop CS4 — less than 2 seconds
Bridge CS4 — 1 second

Firefox — 1 second
InDesign CS3 — 5 seconds
Open Office Writer — 2 seconds

Vista Business SP1
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Dec 10, 2008
At work, nothing opens that fast on Vista 64, even with no AV and no other programs.

Here, I get those times (under 5 seconds) in XP Pro 32 with a single core processor.

If I can spare a test station, I’m going to try CS4 there.
WE
Wolf_Eilers
Dec 11, 2008
JJ’s got some pretty impressive numbers! Are those upon first load (after an OS boot); or are they after the app has already been loaded once?

Photoshop loads much faster after the first loading. And Firefox is notoriously slow on first opening.

But certainly CS4 is the fastest loading version I’ve used.
FN
Fred_Nirque
Dec 11, 2008
Firefox has done something to their code a couple of versions ago – that’s when the slowdown started.
F
Freeagent
Dec 11, 2008
JJ’s got some pretty impressive numbers!

I can confirm those numbers, but on a "warm" system.

With the Vista pre-caching, it no longer matters so much if it’s first load or subsequent. Vista will have it there and ready.
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 11, 2008
Mine’s on a cold system. Any form of auto-updating of applications is turned off too.

FF loads fast because on that machine it isn’t laden down with add-ons which scan for updates – unlike this here computer on what I’m typing.
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 11, 2008
Of course my Kaspersky AV is running all the time! 😉
F
Freeagent
Dec 11, 2008
Mine’s on a cold system

Yes, but immediately after boot-up, or do you give Vista the five minutes or so it needs to finish the caching? That makes a huge difference.
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 11, 2008
I leave Kaspersky to update its signatures (about half a minute) before I fire up Photoshop.
F
Freeagent
Dec 11, 2008
OK. Sounds like ballpark.

Photoshop is probably first to be cached, as it’s used all the time. I’m on my laptop now, but later today I’ll try timings

1 immediately upon boot
2 30 seconds
3 when all caching is finished (by then it’s around 6GB RAM of 8 used) 4 close and relaunch.

BTW, the other day, just for kicks, I launched PS CS2 on a co-worker’s XP machine – and I swear to God I could take a shower in that time…
IB
iVan_B.
Dec 11, 2008
Are you a Buddhist?

On the contrary, I had a gallon of "pissed off" as fuel to keep me going.

Coincidentally, I have been called Buddha in high school. That was a derivative of my last name though; nothing to do with my kind and loving nature.

On the antivirus topic; I’m using AVG instead of Kaspersky since the whole fiasco. Curious thing; it found 14 viruses on my brand new installation. Given, they are in my documents, but the funny thing is (not like ha-ha funny), those same documents were scanned with Kaspersky, AND McAfee.

No detections.

So, just as a good measure, I had those evil docs placed on my memory stick and asked a buddy to scan them for me when I was over at his place. He ran his corporate edition of Symantec – nada (coincidentally, my mother’s name)! This dude is an IT guy for a big bank, so he took the drive to his office and ran a cocktail of scans.

Nothing!

So somehow this free version of AVG has found a way to detect viruses that the big boys don’t!? I’m baffled… Oh, well. As long as I can finally use my machine.

Which reminds me, as if I haven’t had enough problems with the bloody thing (I’m so buying a Mac next time); I went to plug my headset in the front port today, and all of a sudden I’m picking up hard drive EMF. I mean loud. Guns ‘n’ Roses kind of loud! So I look inside, and the dude that sold me a new box at the shop put unshielded cable inside, and I never noticed.

So I had a pleasure of actually ripping a cable from my old box and soldering it in the new one (the contacts were different).

Had I known that in 21st century I would be fixing a computer with a soldering iron, I would have held onto my ol’ mans balls at the time of my conception. Screw this, I’m a visual artist turned computer geek.

Windows – turning users into IT professionals since 1985.

There’s gotta be money in such a T-shirt.
DE
David_E_Crawford
Dec 11, 2008
Ivan,

Sometimes Anti-virus scans return false positives. Worst of all sometimes they will scan and lock up a critical file to run windows and then your screwed. This happened this year and I cannot remember the name of the anti-virus company. But it sure was ugly. There was nothing wrong with the critical file it scanned. People were locked out of their computers and pissed off. The offending company ended up giving a free year of additional usage to make their customers happy again. So be very careful of what you let anti-virus software delete.
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 11, 2008
It happened recently to AVG; a few months ago to ZoneAlarm Suite and some time back to Panda.

In some cases it rendered the computer unusable.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Dec 11, 2008
Panda wants 20 bucks to fix my system. It runs, but without the Tru-Prevent activated.

Ironic, but Panda was one of the first to employ that technology, and is why I went with them. Since my update license expired today, I am shopping around. Maybe AVG.

I’m in the middle of installing and testing CS4 on an Intel i7 platform. Haven’t finished it but it will be free of any other programs except the installed McAfee which came with the Vista 64 installation.
RB
R_Basham
Dec 11, 2008
Give KIS 2009 a try.
The newest version (8.0.0.506) works well for me.
I thing most of the negative comments in some of these threads about KIS seem to be running version 7.
F
Freeagent
Dec 11, 2008
In case anyone are still interested in those CS4 launch times in Vista 64/8GB:

Straight from bootup: 6.5 secs.
<reboot>
After 1 minute: 3.5 secs.
<reboot>
After finished caching: 2 secs.
Close and relaunch: near instant.

So it’s a little slower than John’s. C2D E6750 system with a couple of 7k2 drives, but no RAID.
FN
Fred_Nirque
Dec 11, 2008
So all this talk of AV destroying computers underscores what I said earlier about the prevention being worse than the disease at times, and why I made the decision to run my work machine totally away from the Net (without AV, spyware detectors and associated garbage that the virus writers have caused to happen), with the laptop pressed into service as the fall guy. My old machine pedals CS4 along nicely and is rock stable, while the laptop is doing the bullet catching. Works for me.

BTW, AVG has run extremely well on the laptop since I ditched Avast for having let in one virus too many 6 months ago. Now that it has learnt my browsing habits, I have only had alarms at genuine threats. They are few and far between as AVG has a nifty flagging of Google search results which scans and identifies suspect sites before one opens them, thereby saving inadvertent heartache. I only open sites with the AVG green star now.
DM
Doug_MacDonald
Dec 11, 2008
ahh, thanks
P
Phosphor
Dec 12, 2008
Don’t you guys think that launch times are kind of irrelevant unless different systems have their Photoshop installs configured with the same brush sets, layer styles, swatch sets, gradients, custom shape sets and fonts loading at launch?
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Dec 12, 2008
Well, on an Intel DX58SO with a 2.66GHz i7, 6g 1333MHz DDR3 RAM, here are some results:

Installation flawless at 5 minutes.

Initial bootup 2 sec, afterwards 1sec. No brush truncation, I used an nVidia Ge Force 7300 with the latest driver, which was not exactly new (I had it in my D/L file from several months ago, but I did a fresh D/L anyway) which seems to be ok running in 3D when I did a menu check, no actual usage. No brush drag at all at 100% on a 240M file.

Smart sharp of a 24M file so fast it was not even visible as having run, a 10X file size took 14 sec at the same settings.

Thhhhhats all folks. 🙂 For today anyway.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 12, 2008
wow.
DE
David_E_Crawford
Dec 12, 2008
pretty sweet so far
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Dec 12, 2008
I forgot to note that I installed on Vista Ultimate 64 bit, SP1.
MS
Mike_Sargent
Dec 12, 2008
I’ve just installed CS4 Design Premium upgrade from CS2 Design Suite Premium with some trepidation and so far (about 2 hrs) no sign of any OpenGL problems within Photoshop.

Specs are:

Intel Core 2
4GB ram
2 Internal Hard disks (250/500 GB) + 3 external USB HDs (which I haven’t connected yet) NVidia Geforce 8600GT (Driver Version 178.13)
Vista Home Premium SP1
Kaspersky Internet Security 7 (v 7.0.0.124) – which I disabled for the duration of the installation of CS4 and pulling the LAN cable from the router.

Therefore it doesn’t seen to be AV software alone causing the problem, but some presumably additional interaction of the AV with software/hardware in some machines.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Dec 12, 2008
While the brush circle isn’t truncated, I nevertheless can hardly see it. It’s too thin and blends with detail easily.

There may be tweaks for this; I haven’t looked on any of the three installations so far. That it would be the default presentation choice is beyond me.
DE
David_E_Crawford
Dec 12, 2008
Lawrence,
I was using the brush last night and I agree the circle is very thin. I will look at the settings and see what I can find. I thought it was just me and my eyes were tired.
IB
iVan_B.
Dec 12, 2008
If you’re having the issue seeing the brush outline, I suggest changing the cursor in your options:

Ctrl+K to open the dialog box, then go to Cursor, and under "Painting Cursors" choose Full Size Brush Tip. It wouldn’t hurt to also make sure the "Show Crosshair in Brush Tip" checkbox is on (I always use these two features).

The first one will make your brush outline more visible the moment it turns softer than 100% by making it coarser at the 50% visibility point (you’ll see what I mean)

That being said, CS4 had a fantastic little new feature only accessible as a shortcut. This shortcut works only on PC*:

To see your brush in all its shape, splendour and glory, hold Alt and right-click. That will preview the brush as long as you’re holding the Alt and right mouse button down.

The great part about it is that you can resize the brush this way too. While holding this combo down, move your mouse to the right to increase the brush size or to the left to make it smaller.

And the best for last. Hold Shift+Alt+right click (must be in this order for it to work) and drag your mouse to see the hardness of the brush change on the fly.

If you don’t like the fact the preview is red, change the color of it in the aforementioned dialog box.

-iVan

*Actually, it works on a Mac as well, but shortcut keys are drastically different.
DE
David_E_Crawford
Dec 12, 2008
Thanks ivan,

I did change the background color a few times. I did not try the other items you wrote about. Will give it a spin.
CF
chris_farrell
Dec 13, 2008
iVan…you da man!!!!!!! good stuff.
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 13, 2008
I would still like to know if the current version of Kaspersky has such a negative effect on CS4. It certainly doesn’t here!
MS
Mike_Sargent
Dec 13, 2008
John

I would like to know that as well, my license for this version runs out in January and I’m not sure whether to upgrade to the current version or not.
DE
Dave_Evanson
Dec 13, 2008
I haven’t had any problems with Kaspersky 2009 Build 8.0.0.506 or the previous 8.0.0.454 build running on XP Pro SP3 32bit.

GPU is enabled using a GeForce 7950GT 512MB card with the 178.24 drivers and direct X 9.0c
CH
CR_Henderson
Dec 13, 2008
Dave Evanson: haven’t had any problems with Kaspersky 2009 Build 8.0.0.506 or the previous 8.0.0.454 build running on XP Pro SP3 32bit.

I can say that on my system the slowdowns I see are independent of having Kaspersky 7.0.0.125 installed. My version of K is virtually the same version that iVan B found to be troublesome on his system.

The only thing I can say is that if Kaspersky is the source of some slowdowns then perhaps my set of ‘excludes’ is why I don’t see a difference in speed with or without Kaspersky installed.

I exclude *all* Adobe folders–that includes all folders used by LR/CS3/CS4/Acrobat, etc., the CR Cache, and folders with images. I also exclude the entire drive which holds the PS CS4 cache. After setting up the excludes I saved the configuration and simply reload it as the first thing I do after installing Kaspersky.
EE
emil_emil
Dec 16, 2008
I confirm that uninstalling Kaspersky fixed the problem for me. I haven’t used PS CS4 heavily and don’t know if there will be other problems but the brush lag is fixed. Also 3D Interaction Acceleration is now available and before it wasn’t – it was dimmed.
Thanks a million iVan. If will be only fair if the Adobe’s Quality control department share some of their salary with you.

Also thanks for the tip with the brush size and hardness increase. And to add to this, it seems that this new method is not exactly equivalent to using the old keyboard keys [ ]. I noticed this when I tried the default Rough Round Bristle brush and increased to 600 with both methods. But all other brushes I tried (which were not a lot) the resizing effect was the same.
QP
Q_Photo
Dec 16, 2008
iVan B.
I just want to say that it was a very good thing you did, sharing your step by step instructions with everyone. While I do not have any of the problems (so far) that others have had I do have sympathy for them. To take time to keep us up to date with your progress was "above and beyond". And it was in the spirit of this forum.
Thank you,
Q
IB
iVan_B.
Dec 16, 2008
Thanks guys, you made my day

-i
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Dec 16, 2008
This might add to the fun.

After I disabled everything under the Advanced Tab the lag was still there, but very acceptable. (in PS CS3 it was totally absent).

My pc was equipped with an ancient Wacom Graphire 2 tablet.

Today my new Wacom Intuos 3 A5 wide arrived, and I did the following:

I hot-disconnected the old Wacom.
Uninstalled the Wacom software through Control Panel.
Rebooted.
Disabled my security software, as advised by the installer (McAfee Internet Security) Connected the new Wacom (no new hardware dialog came along) Inserted the Wacom CD, and installed the, not latest, software) Removed the CD and rebooted again (without being prompted to reboot). Re-enabled the security software.
Configured the Intuos, and all works fine.

All the video lag I previously experienced was gone!

No new flaws arose.

The only thing is that when configuring keystrokes in the Wacom configuration, the keystrokes didn’t match the keyboard, for instance, using [ and ] (for brush size) entered as | and * respectively.

And those don’t resize.

But as a whole my XP machine runs CS$ now with little to be desired.

Rob
ND
Nick_Decker
Dec 17, 2008
This is all ridiculous. Some have no problems, some (like me) have problems that are video-card related. Or something. I’ve had it.

With this release of PS, Adobe did NOT bother to say anything about what video card (or driver) you might need. They can keep saying that we need the "latest drivers", even though the latest drivers don’t work. I have never been so disgusted with Adobe, and I’ve been here since PS 4.0.
JB
James_B._Pratt
Jan 17, 2009
Same here. Totally disgusted! I tried everything mentioned in every blog on the internet to get rid of the brush lag and missing Wacom pen sensitivity in Photoshop CS4. Nothing fixes it, short of uninstalling my video card driver completely and letting Vista run in VGA Mode, while it continues to beg for a driver. I even bought a new video card! Wacom said they are aware of the issue and that they notified Adobe about it. The Adobe techs gave up with me and said they were aware of problems with the "brush engine" in CS4 and are hoping it gets fixed. BTW, CS3 works fine on the same computer! If nothing else Adobe, offer a checkbox which loads the CS3 "brush engine" in CS4, so we can disable this new "OpenGL feature" please!
ND
Nick_Decker
Jan 17, 2009
BTW, CS3 works fine on the same computer!

Same here, James, and many others have said the same. Unfortunately, it seems that the code was changed quite drastically (completely rewritten?) for CS4, probably to accommodate the wonderful new OGL features.
CF
chris_farrell
Jan 18, 2009
…But..guys…CS4 is not CS3. It’s like comparing vista to XP.
R
rhawkins
Jan 18, 2009
Well I tried all the suggested fixes and nothing made CS4 any better. But, I finally came up with a solution, I uninstalled CS4 and reinstalled the old version. Now Photoshop works perfectly, it’s just not CS4.
ES
Erich_Seidl
Jan 20, 2009
In regards to slow CS4, I had the same problem, with unbelievably slow screen redraws.

However, I had 2 trial Vista installations on the same computer, with 2 trial CS4 on separate drives. The first an an 200 GB IDE worked like a charm, the other on Raid 1 Sata was the slow one.

After reading the thread, checked the Video drivers on both and realised that on the slow system, the driver was an older version. (I had tried other things that made no difference)

Downloaded and installed the new video driver and bingo – the redraws are instant. Even with Windows Aero enabled

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections