Applying text effects on seperate layers (PS CS)

A
Posted By
Arcfus
May 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m trying to make the jump from PS 5.5 to PS CS. Up to now, I’ve used 3rd-party apps for text effects, such as drop shadows and glow.

I’m trying to use CS’s text effects, but it appears that you can only use them on visible objects.

Let me show you what I’m trying to do. Look at the "Who We Are" title at the top-right of this page:
http://www.lordenv.com/who.html
To do this, I took these steps:
Enter text
Select text
Create new layer
Apply 3rd-party drop shadow effect in new layer
Delete text layer

I’ve tried doing the same with CS’s layer style, but for some reason, it won’t apply the effect if the selected area is empty. Is there a way to do this, or is my only option to buy the upgrades for the 3rd party software?

Thanks for any help.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

TT
Tom Thomas
May 28, 2004
Arcfus wrote:

— snip —
Let me show you what I’m trying to do. Look at the "Who We Are" title at the top-right of this page:
http://www.lordenv.com/who.html
To do this, I took these steps:
Enter text
Select text
Create new layer
Apply 3rd-party drop shadow effect in new layer
Delete text layer

I’ve tried doing the same with CS’s layer style, but for some reason, it won’t apply the effect if the selected area is empty. Is there a way to do this, or is my only option to buy the upgrades for the 3rd party software?

I can think of at least 5 or 6 ways to accomplish that effect in CS (or any other version, for that matter). Probably the simplest would be to create your type in the same color as the page background and then apply the drop shadow layer effect directly to the type layer.

Another option is to create the drop shadow manually on its own layer — a method that has always been far superior to plug-ins or automated styles — then select the type, make the drop shadow layer the active layer and hit delete, thus removing the outline of the type from the shadow.

Either of those will achieve the effect.
——————————-
Tom

Unsolicited advertisements cheerfully ignored.
A
Arcfus
May 28, 2004
Tom, thanks very much for your help on this.

On Fri, 28 May 2004 11:19:10 -0400, Tom Thomas
wrote:

Another option is to create the drop shadow manually on its own layer — a method that has always been far superior to plug-ins or automated styles — then select the type, make the drop shadow layer the active layer and hit delete, thus removing the outline of the type from the shadow.

This paragraph confused me a bit. It sounds like you’re saying that creating a drop shadow on its own later is mutually exclusive from using a plugin. I use plugins and almost always put the drop shadow on its own layer – this gives me more control.

"make the drop shadow layer the active layer". I’m not sure at what point you created a drop shadow layer and how you did it. But I’ll tell you what I tried and how I failed.

Idea #1) I created a text later and rasterized it. I selected the text and applied the drop shadow. Then I hit delete, hoping to delete only the text. But it deleted the drop shadow as well even though it appeared that the drop shadow was outside of the marching ants.

Idea #2) I created a text later (layer #1), rasterized it and duplicated it (layer #2). I selected the text in layer #1 and applied a drop shadow. I clicked on layer #2 and selected the text. I clicked on layer #1 and hit delete. Then I deleted layer #2. This actually worked, but it left a thin hard outline of where the text once was.

I’d really really like to be able to do is to simply apply the effect (drop shadow, glow, etc.) in a seperate layer. My reasons change from project to project. Take this example that I just slapped together:

http://www.ssih.com/images/sunrise.jpg

This image has four layers. Starting from the top:
text
drop shadow
oval
photo

I put the text over the oval, selected it, created a new layer between the text and oval and applied the drop shadow there. Then I selected the oval in its layer, inverted the selection, clicked on the drop shadow layer and hit delete. This deleted all drop shadow that wasn’t on the layer.

Not sure how I’d do that with Photoshop’s effects.
J
john
May 29, 2004
Double click on the layer (layers window) to get layer styles.

Try ‘drop shadow’.

Click on the ‘drop shadow’ notation on the styles column and another level of adjustments opens up. Play with distance, spread, style, opacity and color until you get what you want.
E
edjh
May 29, 2004
Arcfus wrote:
Tom, thanks very much for your help on this.

On Fri, 28 May 2004 11:19:10 -0400, Tom Thomas
wrote:

This paragraph confused me a bit. It sounds like you’re saying that creating a drop shadow on its own later is mutually exclusive from using a plugin. I use plugins and almost always put the drop shadow on its own layer – this gives me more control.

"make the drop shadow layer the active layer". I’m not sure at what point you created a drop shadow layer and how you did it. But I’ll tell you what I tried and how I failed.

Idea #1) I created a text later and rasterized it. I selected the text and applied the drop shadow. Then I hit delete, hoping to delete only the text. But it deleted the drop shadow as well even though it appeared that the drop shadow was outside of the marching ants.
Idea #2) I created a text later (layer #1), rasterized it and duplicated it (layer #2). I selected the text in layer #1 and applied a drop shadow. I clicked on layer #2 and selected the text. I clicked on layer #1 and hit delete. Then I deleted layer #2. This actually worked, but it left a thin hard outline of where the text once was.

I’d really really like to be able to do is to simply apply the effect (drop shadow, glow, etc.) in a seperate layer. My reasons change from project to project. Take this example that I just slapped together:
http://www.ssih.com/images/sunrise.jpg

This image has four layers. Starting from the top:
text
drop shadow
oval
photo

I put the text over the oval, selected it, created a new layer between the text and oval and applied the drop shadow there. Then I selected the oval in its layer, inverted the selection, clicked on the drop shadow layer and hit delete. This deleted all drop shadow that wasn’t on the layer.

Not sure how I’d do that with Photoshop’s effects.

Make text. Add drop shadow, From the dropdown in the Layers palette choose Create Layers. This will make a layer with the drop shadow including the part that is under the text. You may need to mask out the original text depending on what you want to see. Delete text layer.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
A
Arcfus
May 29, 2004
On Sat, 29 May 2004 11:33:19 GMT, edjh wrote:

Make text. Add drop shadow, From the dropdown in the Layers palette choose Create Layers. This will make a layer with the drop shadow including the part that is under the text. You may need to mask out the original text depending on what you want to see. Delete text layer.

I wonder if we have a Mac vs. Windows problem here.

From the dropdown list in the Layers palette, I don’t have "Create Layers". I DO have "New Layer". Is that the same?

This new layer is completely empty – no drop shadow.
E
edjh
May 29, 2004
Arcfus wrote:
On Sat, 29 May 2004 11:33:19 GMT, edjh wrote:

I wonder if we have a Mac vs. Windows problem here.

From the dropdown list in the Layers palette, I don’t have "Create Layers". I DO have "New Layer". Is that the same?
This new layer is completely empty – no drop shadow.
Sorry. Right-click on the "f" on the layer to get the context menu. On the Mac you can also get it by Control-clicking on the "f" It also appears in Layers>Layer Style on the main menu. Toward the bottom on both menus.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
TT
Tom Thomas
Jun 1, 2004
Arcfus wrote:

— snip —

— snip —

Sorry for the delay. I was away for the weekend.

Making a drop swadow the "old fashioned" way for *real* control:

1. Create type layer

2. Duplicate type layer

3. Change color of underlying (original) type layer to black.

4. Gaussian blur, move and adjust opacity of the black layer for a shadow with true control. You can transform, skew, mask, etc. — many more options than a "canned" shadow.

5. For your original question, now make the top type layer active, CTRL-click on the later in the Layers Palette to select type.

6. Make blur layer active and hit Delete.

7. Get rid of type layer and you’re left with your shadow with type cutout.

Please pardon the abbreviated answer. Hurt a hand — One figer typing this week. :-/

——————————-
Tom

Unsolicited advertisements cheerfully ignored.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections