Never could reinstall CS3. Will CS4 work?

RC
Posted By
Ronald_Chambers
Oct 20, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
After rebuilding my XP system, I’ve NEVER been able to reinstall PS CS3. I will not rebuild the system again. Went through a dozen different tries suggested by support.

Will I have more luck installing CS4 or should I live with CS2 and some other brands tools?

RON C

Adobe’s paranoia with licensing is counter productive and they will see in the end.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RB
Robert_Barnett
Oct 20, 2008
Oh, two more things. One I am using Vista Ultimate 32-bit. Second, it wouldn’t surprise me if it was Vista that wasn’t causing some of the problem here.

Robert
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 20, 2008
Never could reinstall CS3. Will CS4 work?

who can tell ronald? it’s your system. i believe adobe still offers a 30 day money back guarantee if you buy with them. call and find out.
CF
chris_farrell
Oct 20, 2008
Ronald, a reformat usually gets rid of the gremlins – for a while anyway. But that not the kindest of options if you have loads of emails / programs etc installed as you’ll have to re install them…
RC
Ronald_Chambers
Oct 20, 2008
I don’t want to waste my time!!! If Adobe paid me for the lost time, Adobe would me much more that the cost of PSCS3 and 4.

I’ll bet their install has been cracked so they don’t win any friends and make more disappointed.

RON C
CF
chris_farrell
Oct 20, 2008
I had a couple of issues after installing CS4 – whether it’s an Adobe issue or a combination of Nvidia / Wacom driver problems, who knows….anyway my only solution was the reformat route and now everything is working well – a few tweaks with the PS settting and CS4 is flying….don’t give up on it!!!! While time IS money, I am pleased I went through the to get it to work as my files load at least four times faster than with CS3 ( all other issues were resolved by upping the cache – sorted – You might even have a faster turn around times with CS4).

There are so many variables with GPU’s / drivers / Window updates etc it can be hard to track down the cause for problems and I guess any kind of conflict may cause a problem….

…..But, I kinda run a minimal setup on my workstation so a reformat will take around 2 hours max….. during kool-aid hour that’s fine as the time will fly by 😀
RB
Robert_Barnett
Oct 20, 2008
I had problems going from CS3 to CS4. Something with some color profile files that got locked and couldn’t be replaced. Adobe even had me try to change the permissions for the file and they still couldn’t get it to work. So I formatted and reinstalled. Everything went fine then except that for some reason the ActiveX Flash Player for IE wouldn’t install. I went and downloaded it from the Adobe site and it installed fine.

Adobe’s installer sucks plain and simple. I don’t know what they are doing but they are making it far more complicated which means it is easier to have problems with it. I am not saying that you are anyone else will have problems, but in the past at least there have been problems and I still had problems. You do it at your own risk I guess is what it comes down to in the end.

Robert
RC
Ronald_Chambers
Oct 21, 2008
I purchased and downloaded PS CS4. It had an error in install. No words on what caused it or how to fix.

Looks like they haven’t fixed the problem.

RON C
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Oct 21, 2008
I actually don’t understand the problem. You can’t install CS3? What does it do? What is your system build?

I’d like to see some debug log capability for such matters.
RC
Ronald_Chambers
Oct 21, 2008
I had the same problem that Robert mentioned above – color profile files (icm) that couldn’t be replaced. Support told me to reinstall the who;e system. This was a brand new install just a few days before i tried to put CS3 on. New PC and drives. Photoshop was not the first program that I installed though as I needed others. I might have the last log file if CS4 attempt didn’t remove when I had to uninstall it because it didn’t complete. It ended like CS3.

RonC
RC
Ronald_Chambers
Oct 21, 2008
Attempt at cs4 again.

AdobeColorCommonSetRGB
Error:
Error 1603. Fatal error during installation.

The module found no solutions to report for the selected log file. If you continue to have difficulties with the application, please contact Adobe Support: <http://www.adobe.com/support> ——————–
System Information :
Operating System = Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 Locale = en

RONC
RC
Ronald_Chambers
Oct 21, 2008
This is the file that causes the error.

System32\spool\DRIVERS\COLOR\sRGB Color Space Profile.icm

RON C
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Oct 21, 2008
This is not an Adobe file.
RC
Ronald_Chambers
Oct 21, 2008
I understand but that is the file where I get the 1603 error. Someone tell me what is wrong as I’ve about had it.

RON C
BC
Bart_Cross
Oct 21, 2008
First, remove that file from the directory, if the problem disappears then the file is corrupt, locate a new one.
RC
Ronald_Chambers
Oct 21, 2008
Bart,

Nice try but I can’t do anything with the file (rename, delete…) as it is locked. I was able to copy it. I even tried the above in Safe Mode. This is the default XP color profile so it seems that Windows owns it and I can’t change it.

Thanks for try.

RON C
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Oct 21, 2008
Then that’s where the problem may lie. I just checked my laptop and I renamed it easily; I could have uninstalled it as well.
RC
Ronald_Chambers
Oct 21, 2008
Trying to delete, I get:
—————————
Error Deleting File or Folder
—————————
Cannot delete sRGB Color Space Profile: It is being used by another person or program.

Close any programs that might be using the file and try again. —————————
OK
—————————

Same happens on both of my PCs and they are not clones of each other.

I’m lost.

RON C
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Oct 21, 2008
Reboot and try again.
RC
Ronald_Chambers
Oct 21, 2008
I’ve tried that and much more. I’ve looked in the registry with nothing apparent to me as ownership.

I’ve used msconfig to turn almost every thing off also.

RON C
AR
Anthony.Ralph
Oct 21, 2008
Use this. It will solve your problem.

<http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/>

Anthony.
RC
Ronald_Chambers
Oct 22, 2008
Problem solved. Seems that HP printer/scanner software had a hold on that file. I share these PCs on a network so nothing showed as odd in the registry. I just deleted everything related to HP in the registry and CS4PS installed.

Someone pass on to proper people at Adobe support.

Thanks for help.

RON C
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 22, 2008
Someone pass on to proper people at Adobe Hewlett Packard support.

there, fixed that for ya. 😉
RC
Ronald_Chambers
Oct 22, 2008
Problem might be caused by HP but Adobe support should be aware of so others don’t have to suffer.

Adobe could make install less rigid also.

RON C

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections