DT
Posted By
Dave_Trumpie
Oct 13, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Why does PS not seem to "let go" of images after using them? If I save images into a folder, say on the desktop, close them and go on to something else, then later try to move the folder from desktop to somewhere else, I get "can not move folder, it is being used by another person or program". I have to close PS to go ahead with the folder move. (Actually it DOES move the images, creating a new folder in the new location, but then leaves the original folder empty on the desktop and gives the "can not move". I can’t delete the empty folder without closing PS)

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

P
Phosphor
Oct 13, 2008
What version? Have you trashed/reset Preferences?
TS
Tim_Spragens
Oct 13, 2008
If you haven’t opened a file in another folder, then Photoshop still is using the one that you’ve saved to, so the folder *is* busy. Either close Photoshop, or open a file in a different folder, which should free up the one that you want to move.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Oct 13, 2008
You may have other issues involved that may need to be addressed but when I come across a locked/active file, I like to use this:
<http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker>
DT
Dave_Trumpie
Oct 14, 2008
I am using XP Pro 64bit, PS is CS3. I am afraid I am not sure what you mean by trashed/reset preferences? I have certainly made some changes in preferences, but nothing that seems relevant to this.

Tim’s comment makes sense, but seems cumbersome. If the "Save or Save As" dialog boxes aren’t open, why would it still be using it?

Thanks for the unlock program link, I’ll try it.
M
Mylenium
Oct 14, 2008
It’s how PS treats MRU (most recently used) in combination with normal Windows OS limitations. Not really much you can do about it, this behavior also occurs with pretty much any other program (Office, various 3D programs)…

Mylenium

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections