CO
Posted By
Caren_OMealey
Dec 3, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m having to learn how to use my Photoshop Elements 2.0 on a Power Mac G5 and don’t know whether this is an OS issue or a Photoshop issue. Let me see what you think. (Mac OS is 10.3 Panther.)
This might sound completely silly, but I’m used to PC’s. I like Macs though and Macs are what are used in the Art Department where I go to college. I really want to learn Macs for my career, so here goes a very long and detailed description of my problem.
When I open Photoshop Elements 2.0 and then click on open under ‘Files’, a box opens that contains within it: Left hand pane top to bottom: Network and MacIntosh HD…then a line divider, and under that: Desktop, Mynameruntogether, Applications, Documents, Movies, Music and Pictures. In the bigger part of the box, at the top, there is the ‘Enable’ ‘bar’ with the up and down arrows at the end to open a menu to choose from; and underneath that, another ‘bar’ (again with the arrows to the right side). The big box to the right of the lefthand pane under the bars has ‘Name’ and ‘Date Modified’ at the top.
I guess I did some ‘blind’ saving, because I saved the photos I worked on under ‘All Readable Documents’ (in the ‘Enable’ bar ) and ‘Scanner Output’, (In the bar under that.)
All I want to do is delete the items that were not saved correctly and start a new file for them so they are more easily accessible to email and other processes.
Please help! Many thanks!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 3, 2003
It’s an "OS thing", but I’m not running Panther yet, so I’m not about to give you any advice. If you can hang on, there are a few people who have it that will come to your rescue!

I do want to know, though, if you can actually find those items on your hard drive. I think Panther would still keep that stuff in the Home folder. Generally on a Mac it’s easy to open the folder in which files are currently located, open the folder where you WANT them to be and just drag and drop them to the new location. You might scout around on your hard drive and try to locate them. If you can find them, just pull them out onto the desktop until you navigate to the area you want them to be, and then drag them back in again.

By the way, Elements doesn’t have the capability of storing any files.
LM
Lou_M
Dec 3, 2003
OK, Caren, here we go! There’s a lot of helpful people here, so new answers may pop up as I type this. So don’t be surprised if you get multiple answers–and don’t be surprised if they don’t all say the same thing. 🙂

First of all, as Beth explained so well, you can use the Mac’s "Finder" application to find and delete or move those files:

1. Do you know what the dock is? It’s that bar that’s usually on the bottom of the screen with all the icons (it could be on the side of the screen). Click on the icon that looks like the Mac’s Smileyface.
2. In the top left of the menu bar, it should now say "Finder". Press Command+N (hold down the key with the apple and/or funky loopy thing on it and press the ‘n’ key at the same time). This will open a new window. There should be a search box in the upper right corner. Just type in "Scanner Output" without the quotes and press the Enter/Return key.
3. It should eventually find the Scanner Output directory and display its name. Double-click it to open it. It should contain the files you saved. You can highlight each one and press Command+Delete to delete them, or just drag and drop them to a different folder to move them.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 3, 2003
Yes, what you are talking about is nothing at all to do with applications, Caren.

The stuff on the left is called the sidebar. It’s just a bunch of shortcuts.

All readable files is not a location–that just means you want the option of opening any file the application can read. In PE, for instance, if you pull that menu down you could choose just tiffs or jpgs or psd files to look for.

Are you sure your items were not saved correctly?

In any case, if you saved them at all,just click the find button in the Open window and enter the name of the file and the mac will find it and open it.

It seems to me that you are really making this hard on yourself. I would recommend either the Robin Williams OS X Book from Peachpit press or David Pogue’s OS X the Missing Manual or his Switching to the Mac, the Missing Manual to help you find your way around. Probably the Peachpit book first.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 3, 2003
Actually, I don’t know if the panther versions of those books are out yet. If not they should be very soon and even the older versions would help you some. There’s not THAT much difference between panther and jaguar.
LM
Lou_M
Dec 3, 2003
Now, Caren, let me explain that File Open dialog box. The ‘Enable’ bar is just a listing of all the file types that Photoshop Elements understands. You can pick a specific file type to display (say, only BMP files or only TIFF files) by selecting the appropriate item in the list–just click on the bar to get a pop-up menu with the list. You can also choose All Readable Documents to enable all files that Elements can read (which is useful) or All Documents (which is not very useful, since Elements won’t be able to open them).

The ‘bar’ (popup menu) below that is the folder listing. Click on it, and from top to bottom it will show you where you are. For example, I have some pictures from our 10th wedding anniversary that I’m editing, and so my list looks like this:

10thAnniversaryNorthWoods
Edited
Pictures
Lou
Users
Macintosh HD
LouPowerBook

If your scanner Output directory is in your Pictures folder (which it might be; but it might not!) the list would look something like this:

Scanner Output
Pictures
yourUserNameSquishedTogether
Users
Macintosh HD
LouPowerBook

You can use the links at the left to jump around your hard disk. But rather than explain everything, let us know first if you found your files yet!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections