Does CS4 have 2 versions, 32 and 64-bit?

MC
Posted By
Murat_Cuhadar
Oct 9, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m confused when I read this review < http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/product/35706/review/photosho p_cs4.html> They mention 2 different versions, but when I check Adobe store and other places I see no options of CS4.

So, when I buy an CS4 upgrade now, how will it work with my Vista 64? Will I get the benefits of a 64-bit OS and able to use more RAM?

Thank You

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CF
chris_farrell
Oct 9, 2008
So, when I buy an CS4 upgrade now, how will it work with my Vista 64? Will I get the benefits of a 64-bit OS and able to use more RAM?

Yep! that’s it!….I guess the installer will recognise a 32bit or 64bit o/s and install the appropriate version.
MM
Mike_Morrell
Oct 9, 2008
If it is like LR2, and I do not know if it is, the installer will only recognize Vist64 and not XP64. With LR2, you can simply go to the next level down on the CD and select the 64bit exe and it does install and run fine on XP64. I am hoping that CS4 will be the same as I cannot upgrade my current workstation from XP64 to Vista64.
M
Mylenium
Oct 9, 2008
CS4 will always install both versions, 64bit and 32bit. Both versions are included in the normal PS CS4 Extended install, so no need to order any special magic box or so. Works fine on XP64 (which is where I have tested it). Just be aware that the 64bit version on XP64 will not provide any hardware acceleration, these features are only available in the 64bit version on Vista64 and the 32bit version (on all platforms). And yes, it will happily cling all the RAM you have in your system.

Mylenium
CF
chris_farrell
Oct 9, 2008
it will happily cling all the RAM you have in your system.

Finally… 🙂
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Oct 10, 2008
Vista Ultimate 64 is well worth it. I see few problems with the apps I’m testing. Sometimes I have to try XP 64 just to be sure some bug isn’t lurking….
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 10, 2008
Bugs and lack of apps plague 64-bit users

< http://windowssecrets.com/2008/10/09/02-Bugs-and-lack-of-app s-plague-64-bit-users>

oh, i’ll be waiting for 2009 and windows 7. thankyouverymuch. bob and id have had too much kool-aid. 🙂
G
gowanoh
Oct 10, 2008
It is very odd that most laptops are now shipping with Vista 64 in bigbox stores, low end machines from Acer, HP, Gateway et al.
There are no Vista 64 drivers, or the ones that are available are not as functional as their 32 bit counterparts, for the type of hardware that users of these machines are likely to employ. I presume the manufacturers are assuming that purchasers will not do much printing/disc burning/multimedia content creation.
Most of these machines ship with limited apps for optical disc burning and playing DVDs as multimedia shrinkware apps that are compatible with Vista 64 are lacking. Most antivirus programs, including free AVG, now work with Vista 64 but did not when the OS was released (SP1 changed this). That being written Vista 64 is far more stable than WinXP 64 and works with most 32 bit productivity apps such as Office (2003 and 2007). However these apps will run on Win98 level hardware so that is no big deal. There is a link above to a blog that says these apps do not work on Vista 64 but that blogger is lying/dead wrong.
Most users do not work with files large enough that they will see any appreciable difference simply because they are using Vista 64 and >4gbs RAM, but imagination always trumps reality.
Of more interest is how using the GPU of a 3d Video card, with its massive parallel processing capabilities, will affect rendering in CS4. This is in fact far more significant with regard to the future of computing than 64 bit compatibility and Adobe is to be congratulated for this. To me this is more interesting than the automated dreck and reported failure to change the ACR/desktop schism in CS4.
Supposedly I will find out Tuesday . . .
F
Freeagent
Oct 10, 2008
"Plain, simple, and clear: Vista-64 is junkware. It is absolutely the worst, the buggiest software Microsoft has ever released," Heiker tells Windows Secrets

I don’t know what planet this guy lives on, but he has other problems than Vista. Jerky mouse cursor? 23 million registry entries? Not here.

The simple fact is, people will blame it on Windows when they can’t find the real problem. It’s so easy…big, faceless Microsoft…making all this money.

EDIT: And why is lack of 64-bit applications a Vista problem? Jeez…
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 10, 2008
Bugs and lack of apps plague 64-bit users

Not a single one here after 6 months of use with all my old apps!

(Footnote: go for Vista Business 64 if you don’t want all that frippery.)
CF
chris_farrell
Oct 10, 2008
Oh dear, that stuart fella, who wrote the article, needs to try out the O/S himself before crapping on about what someone else has said about it…..pure nonsense.
BC
Bart_Cross
Oct 10, 2008
I’m happy with Vista64 and there are no issues with Office 2007. The guy was paid to carp, kinda like Dave who doesn’t get paid to carp but does it anyways.

Dave: Don’t believe everything you read on the web, Mr. Johnston is an idiot.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 10, 2008
I don’t know what planet this guy lives on, but he has other problems than Vista. Jerky mouse cursor? 23 million registry entries? Not here.

the guys at windows secrets (esp brian livingston who runs it) have been doing windows for a loooooong time. i started reading them when windows 3.1 was out.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 10, 2008
Some people have a hidden agenda. Whatever you think about Vista, that article is more one-sided than an electioneering speech.

And they want to speed up the introduction of the next Windows – they’re tired of slagging off Vista.

i started reading them when windows 3.1 was out.

Oh yeah? From their web site:

The Windows Secrets Newsletter began with the merger in July 2004 of two high-tech e-mail newsletters: Brian’s Buzz on Windows, edited by Brian Livingston beginning February 2003, and Woody’s Windows Watch, founded by Woody Leonhard in 1998

I never trust peope called Woody anyway. 😉
BC
Bart_Cross
Oct 10, 2008
Obviously Woody got Brian’s Buzz.
BL
Bob Levine
Oct 10, 2008
What a load of rubbish that article is.

Bob
F
Freeagent
Oct 10, 2008
I never trust peope called Woody anyway.

A wise rule. Keeps you out of a lot of trouble.

But seriously: this falls flat just on its own. The piece mentions three specific "bugs" in Vista 64, the mouse cursor, the registry bloat, and Office 2007 compatibility.

None of these "bugs" can be reproduced by anyone else. So? The guy has other problems. Let me say it again: It’s sooooo tempting to blame Microsoft when you’re stuck with some odd behavior.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Oct 10, 2008
I take exception also, and I am in a testing environment with 2 versions of 2 OS’.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 10, 2008
Oh yeah? From their web site:

yea, brian left infoworld to form windows secrets. right about, oh, july 04. 😛 don’t oh yea me yoko! 🙂
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Oct 10, 2008
Checking at work and I find no registry dupes (at least in the items concerning my tests, where current drivers are critical) and the mouse, a generic MS, works effortlessly.

Vista 64
M
Mylenium
Oct 10, 2008
Dave, people usually attribute a "negative personality" to me as I’m very sarcastic and cynical more than once a day, but I think in that particular area you beat me flat hand. I’m not sure where you are getting your attitude from. True, Windows has some fundamental issues and perhaps the 64bit variations even more, but so have OSX, Linux, SGI Irix, Novell NetWare, R3, S400 and whatever OSs on that planet exist, many of which I have used in my short career. Simply put: get over it. There’s no point in sending off a flare every time someone asks a question. After all, that#s what this forum is about in the first place, so take it back a notch.

Mylenium
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 10, 2008
I think he said they occurred where 32 bit apps want to write to the 64 bit registry. if that’s not you, you won’t see those dups.
BC
Bart_Cross
Oct 10, 2008
dave: you’re a determined little …….. Thought you were going to change over seeing as how Bob & me are doin’ just skippy along with everyone else who made the change.

Who are you gonna’ believe, us (with several nice Canadians among them) who would never, ever lie to you or them (whoever thems is)?
P
Phosphor
Oct 10, 2008
When’s Windows Mohawk OS going to be tested out on unsuspecting hidden-camera focus groups?

😉
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Oct 11, 2008
That will be the last of the Mohicans, probably. 😀
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 11, 2008
When’s Windows Mohawk OS going to be tested

judging by the past, about 1 month after google’s new super secret "cloud" os. 😉

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections