Posted By
Mark_Forman
Jan 4, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello…

Running CS3 on a brand-new workstation designed by ADK. This machine has been optimized for performance by the mfg.; & sports a quad-core CPU, 2 big drives; & 4 GB’s of RAM.

Still, tho…Photoshop’s saving of files & projects seems eternally slow…so, 2 questions:

1) Why?

2) When I installed the program…I was not prompted about choosing a secondary drive for (I forget what Photoshop calls their primary data files).

This PC was optimized for digital audio; & for workstations of this type it is advised to place the primary data (in that case, audio files) on a separate "data" drive. In this way, the OS & audio multitracking programs are on one drive & the audio data is on another, for higher efficiency accessing & hence a more streamlined workflow.

For "graphics" type workstations…is it the photos & various other image files that are supposed to reside on a separate drive?…or in the case of Photoshop…someone told me once that a piece of the program itself (I’ve forgotten the specific term) is supposed to be placed on a separate drive.

Can someone please direct me on how to set the app up correctly in this regard; & do you think this may be the cause of the problem? (since I certainly expected better performance on a new, state-of-the-art machine).

Thanks,

mark4man

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BD
Brett_Dalton
Jan 6, 2008
Under the options it is recommended you set the Scratch disk (swap file) set to a disk other than your system disk. It can increase performance is some circumstances (low memory etc.)

As far as data files, given your using audio and graphics files it wont make a massive difference where you keep them (mabey a second or two load times here or there). keeping them on a drive other than your system drive is generally a good thing as IF you need to reinstall your system then you can do so without worrying about loosing data.

BRETT
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 6, 2008
I hate it when i set my data loose. I tend to lose it when i do. 😉
BD
Brett_Dalton
Jan 7, 2008
thanks dave…..(slinks away)

BRETT

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections