MM
Posted By
mel_martin
Feb 10, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I do a ‘save as’ in PSCS2 I want the image to go back into the same folder it was in originally. Instead, PS defaults to the ‘documents’ folder. Where can I change this behavior… I have looked all over preferences and I’m not finding the answer. All my other apps to these saves correctly.

Any help appreciated….

Thanks

Mel in Arizona

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

PC
Paul_Cutler
Feb 10, 2007
That’s not how mine works. Are you using the Adobe dialogue perhaps?

peace
MM
mel_martin
Feb 10, 2007
Thanks Paul. It works fine on my laptop, but has the problem on my desktop. I can find no way to change this. I’m using the Apple dialog.

Mel
B
Buko
Feb 10, 2007
trash your prefs
MM
mel_martin
Feb 10, 2007
I think I have trashed them, unless there is some arcane pref somewhere I have not discovered. I have trashed the usual suspects… it doesn’t help.
Thanks though..

Mel
MM
mel_martin
Feb 10, 2007
Have deleted the proper preferences and it made no difference as to where the file was saved…

Mel
G
gskibum
Feb 11, 2007
I haven’t come across this on my own Macs, but I have heard many users complain of this lately.

One one Mac I tried trashing the Finder preferences, but that didn’t do the trick.

Do you experience this with any other apps?

In your Save or Save As dialogs, is the Recent Places (found in the pop-up menu) empty?
MM
mel_martin
Feb 11, 2007
My other apps seem to work fine… only Photoshop seems afflicted with this problem. I also tried trashing finder prefs with no positive results…

Mel
B
Buko
Feb 12, 2007
does the save to same folder work in a new user?
MM
mel_martin
Feb 12, 2007
That was an excellent suggestion. Yes it seems to work fine…. now what?

Mel
R
Ram
Feb 12, 2007
Now you know that you have some software corruption in your regular account.

An "Archive and Install" of the OS will give you a fresh system while maintaining your settings.
MM
mel_martin
Feb 12, 2007
I could try that but PS CS2 is the only app that has this problem. Every other one saves correctly…

Mel
R
Ram
Feb 12, 2007
It’s entirely up to you whether you want to solve your problem or not, Mel. It doesn’t affect me in the least.

So I won’t be offended. 🙂
G
gskibum
Feb 12, 2007
Mel, perhaps you can discover from the new user account which preference file is becoming corrupt. It probably has many fewer preference files to sift through.

I have remote access to one of the Macs having this problem, I’ll see what I can dig up.
B
Buko
Feb 12, 2007
45 minutes to do an Archive and install is a much better use of ones time than spending several hours looking at prefs trying to figure out which one maybe the culprit.
G
gskibum
Feb 12, 2007
With about 10 minutes of effort I think I saved myself driving all around town to do Archive and Installs only to correct a corrupt preference file problem. Which wouldn’t have worked for some users since they are bound to Open Directory networks with server based home folders.

It seems to be the "com.adobe.mediabrowser.plist" file.
MM
mel_martin
Feb 12, 2007
Well, deleting the Media Browser plist file did not do the trick… I found 2 of them.. one in a folder called safe preferences. Anyway… I can do the archive and Install… and hope that whatever problem there is is not carried over. I appreciate all the effort from the group, but I’ll give the archive and install route a try tonight.

Mel
MM
mel_martin
Feb 12, 2007
I went ahead today and did the Archive and install which went smoothly, except now Photoshop does not work because it is missing files in the applications support folder. It sugests I reinstall Photoshop, which I can do but that will mean I have to reinstall all filters and actions. Is there anything in my previous system folder I can drag over to solve this, or do I have to start from scratch with photoshop…. what is it missing it needs, in other words?

Thanks all

Mel
MM
mel_martin
Feb 12, 2007
Belay that message above. Solved the above problem by finding the scripting additions folder and moving it.. so photoshop now works fine… but i still have the same problem after the archive and install…. save as selects the documents folder, not the place or directroy the image came from. So I think I am back where I started…

Mel
R
Ram
Feb 12, 2007
There is one file that often goes missing. It’s covered in the FAQs:

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.2ccf1da6>

————————–
Another solution courtesy Anne Shelbourne

Open your Previous System folder.
Find "Adobe Unit Types".
Copy it into: <Your current system Hard Drive>/Library/ScriptingAdditions/ Then reboot your Mac.

—————————

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections