LL
Posted By
Larry Lowenthal
Sep 9, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Sometimes I’ll have a number of files open to work on one after the other (closing each when finished), when suddenly the painting brush cursors change from Actual Size to Precise, which is worthless.

Editing Preferences has no effect, and I must close the program just to relaunch it with the correct cursors.

Does someone know why this is happening and how to prevent it?

Larry

Ver. 6.01, Windows ME, 512Mb ram.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

P
Phosphor
Sep 9, 2003
Pay attention to what happens when you hit the CapsLock key.
LL
Larry Lowenthal
Sep 9, 2003
Yes, the brush size changes to price. It seems like a good clue, but I can’t say that the caps lock key ever get tapped while I’m using paint brushes.

If I remember correctly, it seems to happen more often following some serious zooming in. I zoom back out and…uh, oh.

Larry
LL
Larry Lowenthal
Sep 9, 2003
Make that, "changes to precise." Sorry.
DM
Don McCahill
Sep 9, 2003
Note to Larry. When you see an error like that in one of your messages, you have the option to edit it for the first half hour after you post it.

(We regular posters fought hard to get that edit back, so we’d like to see it be used.)
SM
sam m brown
Sep 10, 2003
Dunno if you realise or not…but if you zoom into a smaller area than the brush size then it will have to display as precise – cant show brush size if its off screen, but if you know the caps lock toggle I’m guessing you know this…

Are you saying when you zoom out again the brush size is no longer displaying?
LL
Larry Lowenthal
Sep 10, 2003
Thanks for the tip. I’m glad you guys fought for the edit button.

Larry
LL
Larry Lowenthal
Sep 10, 2003
Sam,

no I didn’t know it. Tried same and got predicted results, brush size returned after zooming out. Inasmuch as the last instance was about two weeks ago (a big session), I have to wait until it happens again before testing to see if this is the answer.

The alternative is that the precise cursor gets "frozen" and does not revert when zooming out. I even seem to remember it remaining when I clicked on the non-brush tools, such as the zoom button and eyedropper.

Thanks to all who replied. This is a good forum.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 10, 2003
When I first started using photoshop it used to happen to me all the time. It was infuriating. When it happened I would go into preferences and set it to precise to get it to display brush. That fixed it for that session.

Then I would start another session of Photoshop and it was friggin precise again! I was going nuts. Then I came to the forum.

It was the caps lock.

So…. when you see it happen next time, check your caps lock anyway – toggle it on an off. See if the cursor changes. I’d bet a bottle of tequila that’s the deal.
BP
Barry Prager
Sep 11, 2003
Thanks to all of you clever people on the other side of my computer. I turned to this user to user forum because I couldn’t get my painting cursor to go from precise back to brush size. It was indeed my Cap Lock that was on. I’ll drink to that.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections