Posted By
novice
Mar 17, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Please excuse my Adobe *ignorance* !

I have the Adobe Photoshop Elements (basic/first ??) CD in the bundle that I got with a *used* PC.

The tutorial seems quite vague & I cannot get my head around the lasso function. How the hell do you use it ?

The photo program that I am familiar with ( old PC ) is called Micrografix ….. & with that prog. … you simply
lasso the area of a pic that you choose .. then click *copy* … then open another pic .. & simply *paste* onto it.

Could some kind person please explain & simplify how to do this in Adobe Elements ?

…. once again ….. I’m NO genius …… so please .. PLEASE !! .. I would be greatly appreciative for any simplified help.

Many thanks !!!!!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

N
novice
Mar 17, 2007
VERY MANY THANKS, CHARLEY !!

Thank you very much for taking the time to help ! I’ll try to follow your advice tomorrow …. as I’ve had a few beers too many tonight. Am a bit p*ssed .. thanks to BlackSheep beer ! Many thanks again SIR !!!!

THANK YOU CHARLEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers Sir,

AB.

"Charley" wrote in message
The reason that a "selection" is needed is to tell Elements what part of an
image that you want to perform work on. After a selection has been made you
can apply color or other modifications to only that area of the image without affecting the rest of the image. You can also clip or copy the selected area to another layer (a layer is basically like an invisible sheet
of plastic over top of of your image) or to another photo, or change it’s size or position with respect to the rest of the photo.

You circle the item that you want to "select" by moving the cursor carefully
around the edges until you have made a complete loop. Where you have been with the cursor will show a trail of marching ants. Once the circle has been
completed you will have your selection. Letting up on the mouse button before the loop is completed will result in an incomplete selection usually
resulting in a straight line back to where you started. You can modify your
selection (add to or remove from) by using the + and – keys adding or removing little additional loops of area to the initial selected area until
you get it the way that you want. Getting the selection to only include the
area that you want and nothing else takes a lot of patience and practice. Try zooming your photo so that you can more easily work on the more complicated areas to get the selection exactly the way that you want. "Selecting" can be thought of as being similar to using a pair of scissors to cut part of a photo out so you can paste it in a scrap book, or add it to
another photo, etc. only you are doing this electronically and you are doing
it by drawing a special road map line to show the computer where to make the
cut after you have finished getting the road in exactly the right position.

I hope this helps. Learning to use selections and layers are the first major
hurdles in learning photo editing.

Charley

"novice" wrote in message
C
Charley
Mar 17, 2007
The reason that a "selection" is needed is to tell Elements what part of an image that you want to perform work on. After a selection has been made you can apply color or other modifications to only that area of the image without affecting the rest of the image. You can also clip or copy the selected area to another layer (a layer is basically like an invisible sheet of plastic over top of of your image) or to another photo, or change it’s size or position with respect to the rest of the photo.

You circle the item that you want to "select" by moving the cursor carefully around the edges until you have made a complete loop. Where you have been with the cursor will show a trail of marching ants. Once the circle has been completed you will have your selection. Letting up on the mouse button before the loop is completed will result in an incomplete selection usually resulting in a straight line back to where you started. You can modify your selection (add to or remove from) by using the + and – keys adding or removing little additional loops of area to the initial selected area until you get it the way that you want. Getting the selection to only include the area that you want and nothing else takes a lot of patience and practice. Try zooming your photo so that you can more easily work on the more complicated areas to get the selection exactly the way that you want. "Selecting" can be thought of as being similar to using a pair of scissors to cut part of a photo out so you can paste it in a scrap book, or add it to another photo, etc. only you are doing this electronically and you are doing it by drawing a special road map line to show the computer where to make the cut after you have finished getting the road in exactly the right position.

I hope this helps. Learning to use selections and layers are the first major hurdles in learning photo editing.

Charley

"novice" wrote in message

I have the Adobe Photoshop Elements (basic/first ??) CD in the bundle
that
I got with a *used* PC.

The tutorial seems quite vague & I cannot get my head around the lasso function. How the hell do you use it ?

The photo program that I am familiar with ( old PC ) is called Micrografix …. & with that prog. … you simply
lasso the area of a pic that you choose .. then click *copy* … then open another pic .. & simply *paste* onto it.

Could some kind person please explain & simplify how to do this in Adobe Elements ?

… once again ….. I’m NO genius …… so please .. PLEASE !! .. I
would
be greatly appreciative for any simplified help.

Many thanks !!!!!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections