Posted By
Obie_Joe
Jan 1, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
I am bedeviled by a problem and am seeking help with it. I have an image (B&W, not that it matters)and it has a boy in the foreground and the sidewalk in front of him and the sky behind him. What I essentially want to do is use levels to change the contrast of the sidewalk and the sky but leave the boy untouched. What I have been doing is this, I use the magnetic lasso tool to ‘draw’ around the area in question and then select levels from the layers palette and voila. The problem I have from time to time is that the magnetic lasso drives me crazy because sometimes it ‘grabs’ to an area that I don’t want it to and once it makes a ‘handle’ (i’m guessing at what its called) I then can’t go back without starting over. In this particular image when draw around the area in question it would take me over 20 minutes to do because of the size, curves and contours and then one errant click or hand jerk and pow start over. Is there a better way of doing this? Can I, while in the middle of a magnetic lasso session back up pass the last created handle? Is the magenetic lasso simply what it is ans I’ll just have to deal with it? Ket me know?

-obie

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Bernie
Jan 1, 2007
A good selection is almost never done with a single tool.

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?7@@.3bb80e5d/6>
DR
Donald_Reese
Jan 1, 2007
Obie, i would offer looking at adjustment layers to do what you want,without the lasso ever needing to be used. you can basically skip the time it takes to select the item and just paint in the areas you want to change fairly quickly. there are times when a selection can help with very precise border needs,but judicious soft edged brushing can do wonders via adjustment layers.
A
AlFerrari
Jan 2, 2007
Nomad,

That link is quite a resource. Thanks for posting that.

Al Ferrari
JH
Jesse_Hamilton
Jan 5, 2007
To answer the original question regarding the magnetic lasso, the delete key will remove the last point set. No need to start over 😉
B
Bernie
Jan 5, 2007
Al,

Don’t thank me, thank the folks who posted there.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections